Home Improvement & Repair

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
The old one got washed away in the great flood of 1796, so here's a new one.

Ok, so what can you guys tell me about insulation? Apparently, some large animal was up in the attic taking large shits. There are about 5-7 large piles of shit. So, I want to just pull up the piece of insulation and put down some new shit. The insulation up there is pink and very fiberglassy. Probably 30 years old dating back to when the house was built.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
you can just repair. how much insulation (inches) do you have up there? 6 inches (R3.2 per inch so R19)? current recommendations for hot climate is R38 or so

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
I have no fucking clue. My best guess would be thinner than 6".

Allen Smithee

It can be itchy. Wear gloves and stuff. Isn't there a moisture barrier side with all kinds of printed info on it?

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
You can just cut out the old. Lowe's sells rolls that perforated every few feet for just this reason.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I bought this house new, 10 years ago. It came with two air conditioning systems - one runs the top floor the other the bottom two. The former has run fine without any issues - just needed a gas top-up once. The second .... I’m about to replace the coil in the attic for the fourth time (on parts warranty, but still expensive).

Why does the one system keep crapping out on me? I’ve had a few different people look at it and never got a decent answer

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
I bought this house new, 10 years ago. It came with two air conditioning systems - one runs the top floor the other the bottom two. The former has run fine without any issues - just needed a gas top-up once. The second .... I’m about to replace the coil in the attic for the fourth time (on parts warranty, but still expensive).

Why does the one system keep crapping out on me? I’ve had a few different people look at it and never got a decent answer
ive talked to a LOT of AC guys recently and come to the conclusion that they're basically the doctors of the home industry. they never have a complete answer, never can give guarantees, and always think that theyve got the right answer. you can talk to 5 of them and get 5 different answers. oh and theyre all overpriced.

my best guess would be that youve got some issues with how it was installed originally. what happens to the coil that you need to keep replacing it?

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
The coils keep cracking and leaking (well, I think the first might have rusted).

That sounds about right. Each time they blame the old part but say the new coil will be good. This is the third company I’ve had on the job.

I keep thinking it is an excess of pressure that’s causing them to break. Maybe the coil is too small for the outside compressor unit? Or there’s some restriction after the coil that’s causing pressure to build.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
ive never even heard of coils breaking much less it be a repeated problem like that. the rust all the time, sure, but to the point that they're brittle?

10 years is really the length of the lifespan of the unit so i suggest you find another few companies with good reviews online to give you estimates on a new system with a fresh install.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
What’s an average lifespan for a coil supposed to be before they rust and leak?

I’m going to get this one replaced under parts warranty, but next time I’ll bite the bullet and get a whole new system put in. The last repair company said they stopped servicing Lennox and if I didn’t replace it with a better brand they wouldn’t come out anymore.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
yeah 10 years is about right for heat pumps.
Here the most reliable are Daikon and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
What’s an average lifespan for a coil supposed to be before they rust and leak?

I’m going to get this one replaced under parts warranty, but next time I’ll bite the bullet and get a whole new system put in. The last repair company said they stopped servicing Lennox and if I didn’t replace it with a better brand they wouldn’t come out anymore.
ihonestly dont know. any system that has this many issues generally would get replaced in full.

all the companies service their own set of brands, so just because one doesnt do lennox doesnt mean that others wont

Top Bottom