How much have you learned from the forums.

Betelgeuse

Waiting For The Cleaning Lady To Get Naked
Supporter
So, as above, how much have you learned?

I'm really glad that this type of forums have crossed in my way, cause otherwise I would be spending a lot of money on things that are not worth it. Here are some points I have learned:

- Shirts: I use to buy Hugo Boss and Zegna shirts like crazy and most part of them, full retail or I waited to get a slight discount and bought them. The biggest problem, I wanted to buy the shirt that fitted closely to my body, so I ended up buying one to two size less for that, eventhough the neck was killing me. Now I know that for 1/3 of a price I can buy a shirt that fit my neck, allow me to move and that is nice.

- Shoes: I was buying branded shoes and I had a constraint for shoes, I wanted the sole to be close to the shoe, don't know how to explain that, but if the sole was visible from the top, I wouldn't bought them. So a lot of rubber sole or thin soles, I was buying. A pair of Ferragamo's that I have, I would like to change the sole, but it's going to be a mess, so I think it would be better to try to sell them. I also have learned a lot about the construction and the materials used to get nice shoes, yes, I know some of the ones I have bought are not the interwebz favourites, but with the propper care and usage, I think I have what I want, versatility in my wardrobe.

- Suits, SC's: I didn't have any experience buying them and what to look for on them. So I thought the part that I should care the most to fit was the chest. So my chest fitted nicely but the shoulders were a mess. Also I asked the tailor to supress the waist a lot. Also the brand was important for me and look "fashonable", so Hugo Boss, Z Zegna and Giorgio Armani. So today, aside that I decided to grow a bit in the gym, I have a bunch of suits in my closet that I can use anymore cause I know they don't fit anymore. Probably someone in the street would see me and think that they look nice, but I now know they don't.

So, lets hear you.

Back on ye old Ask Andy I learned quite a bit about shoe construction and what to look for in a pair of shoes. I've pretty much become addicted to Alden shell cordo now and love the way it looks and feels. Shell #8 is the perfect colour. And I learned the Mac method for shining which is invaluable.

I really want to invest in shome shell cordovan... but I fear that when I do that... I fell in the Shell Cordovan obsession and start spending like crazy on shell.

I found this Carmina's, particularly sexy: http://epauletnewyork.com/collectio...ry-perforated-captoe-boot-ruby-shell-cordovan
Or this Alden: http://www.aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=154&ParentID=94&PageID=&Action=

But the color of the Carmina's is sexier.

I never knew about jacket canvassing or shirt collar fusings. Otherwise, mainly my tastes were altered into not viewing pocket squares and wingtips as fussy over-ornamentation. Oh, they got me into the striped watchband thing and alerted me of the reasonably priced Otto Frei.
I also learned a better way of sewing on a button and how sleeve/cuff lengths should be.

I never knew about jacket canvassing or shirt collar fusings. Otherwise, mainly my tastes were altered into not viewing pocket squares and wingtips as fussy over-ornamentation. Oh, they got me into the striped watchband thing and alerted me of the reasonably priced Otto Frei.
I also learned a better way of sewing on a button and how sleeve/cuff lengths should be.

This. I used to think that wingtips and those shoes looked bad, now I want them, they add a lot of versatility.

Before I joined SF, I thought Thomas Pink was the end all be all of ties. I had 20 in regular rotation. Some of them were hideous. I thought my J&M were close to comparable to my AE (how I didn't notice how one looked like shit so much more quickly than the other is beyond me). I didn't use shoe trees and I didn't polish my own shoes (lord knows what kind of cheap polish Korean shoe shiners use). Most importantly, since I had only ever worn suits (as in....I hadn't worn an odd jacket with a tie....not even a navy blazer...a single time before joining SF), I had no clue about matching texture or formality. None. Zip. Nada. Wasn't great with color as, hey, white shirt, gray suit, and any tie ever.

I also paid full price for a few Hugo Boss suits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom