If Mars were terraformed, who would go?

John Lee Pettimore III

Supporter
Say we terraformed Mars and it were habitable. Who would go colonize it? The colonization of the Americas happened because the most technologically advanced region of the world was also the most overpopulated. Now population pressures essentially only exist in third world countries and they wouldn't be chosen or wouldn't have the skills necessary to compete and most are in collectivist cultures with high risk avoidance.

I'm thinking the most likely candidates would be Mormons or Israelis.

Last edited:
If I get massive wealth, I'll consider it. But I really hate outer space and am not sure it's even there. I'd much prefer Israel leave the Earth.

Say we terraformed Mars and it were habitable. Who would go colonize it? The most colonization of the Americas happened because the most technologically advanced region of the world was also the most overpopulated. Now population pressures essentially only exist in third world countries and they wouldn't be chosen or wouldn't have the skills necessary to compete and most are in collectivist cultures with high risk avoidance.

Well, a lot of adventurers, weirdos and adventurous weirdos have already volunteered for what will almost certainly be a one-way trip to Mars if the "Mars One" venture ever actually gets off the ground.

Of course, if push came to shove, a lot of people who were initially happy to volunteer for such a mission may end up deciding that they'd rather stay back here on earth, after all. However, I'm sure that there would still be quite a few people willing to put their hands up, whether it be for fame, for adventure, for the betterment of humanity and so on.

Say we terraformed Mars and it were habitable. Who would go colonize it? The most colonization of the Americas happened because the most technologically advanced region of the world was also the most overpopulated. Now population pressures essentially only exist in third world countries and they wouldn't be chosen or wouldn't have the skills necessary to compete and most are in collectivist cultures with high risk avoidance.

The Mormons came to mind even before I got to your last line. The best defence against the Martians and converting them would be the ultimate challenge.

I'll just leave this here...

1zvNM.gif

Let me amend this and state that if I get to colonize with like-minded individuals, I may very well kiss the Earth goodbye. If they're just sending up a microcosm of this place, screw that.
In Fwiffo Fwiffo fashion, I must wonder what the drink and women will be like up there. Air and water is nice and all, but more is needed.

In Fwiffo Fwiffo fashion, I must wonder what the drink and women will be like up there. Air and water is nice and all, but more is needed.

I'm not going to Mars if it's going to be a reenactment of the prohibition. Let the Mormons, Muslims and Quakers have their dry wastelands.

I vote for revoking the public smoking ban on Mars too. There's not enough people to poison if I fancy a fag on my Martian patio bar.

I'd go, as long as humans are solely on Earth, we're at risk for extinction. It is a fascinating subject!

Yes, we are. Act accordingly.

Let the explorers and frontiersmen go forth. I'm too obstinate and old to do so.

As I mentioned in the other thread, if I'm destined to die on a piece of rock, it ought to be the familiar rock I was born on with a glass of whisky in my hand, legs propped up in an Eames chair listening to The Girl from Ipanema and having a cigar. It's a horrid prospect for anyone's life to be crawling on all fours in misery, throat parched for water, arms outstretched and finally expiring on some foreign desolate rock.

I think that is such an interesting time to be alive because we now have the capability to at least go outside of the planet and begin extracting resources. We've landed rovers on planets, shot high def photos of the Gas Giants and Pluto's network of objects and we've put a lander on an asteroid/comet, so I think that it is certainly possible to at least send robots out to do some of this before we send people, and I would think that every element we may ever need is out there, likely in infinite quantities given the size of the universe.

Remember when that meteorite exploded over Siberia and injured I think 1500+ people, imagine this: If it had a steeper trajectory/more mass and it slammed into the surface, I think that would've been one hell of a wake up call and it isn't the only time things like that happened, we live in a cosmic shooting gallery.

It would be truly interesting to see if humans could eventually colonize other worlds or at least live in space stations. Would it be like Star Trek, where we exist to better ourselves and bang space babes? I certainly hope so.

I'm cool with our extinction provided it's quick and accidental. Any outpost that expects to preserve the species indefinitely needs a vast amount of people to maintain biodiversity and prevent degradation from inbreeding.
To leave on principle is a tough sell, but I may need to flea to space to avoid the mandatory transexuality that the government will soon be imposing. At that point, bread and water on Mars with the Mormons starts looking okay.

I think that is such an interesting time to be alive because we now have the capability to at least go outside of the planet and begin extracting resources. We've landed rovers on planets, shot high def photos of the Gas Giants and Pluto's network of objects and we've put a lander on an asteroid/comet, so I think that it is certainly possible to at least send robots out to do some of this before we send people, and I would think that every element we may ever need is out there, likely in infinite quantities given the size of the universe.

Remember when that meteorite exploded over Siberia and injured I think 1500+ people, imagine this: If it had a steeper trajectory/more mass and it slammed into the surface, I think that would've been one hell of a wake up call and it isn't the only time things like that happened, we live in a cosmic shooting gallery.

It would be truly interesting to see if humans could eventually colonize other worlds or at least live in space stations. Would it be like Star Trek, where we exist to better ourselves and bang space babes? I certainly hope so.

You're born at least 50, if not 100 years too early, assuming mankind has developed a sufficiently smart AI by then.

If I can, I'll have myself frozen right after death. Slim chance I'll ever be reanimated, but better than no chance.

You're born at least 50, if not 100 years too early, assuming mankind has developed a sufficiently smart AI by then.

If I can, I'll have myself frozen right after death. Slim chance I'll ever be reanimated, but better than no chance.

Why? What's the point of being alive if everything and everyone you know, care for or love are dead, gone or buried?

It reminds me of this scientist who has been eating 70% of his calorie intake and exercising. He is 55 but his body is 35. He says he doesn't see the point to keep it up since all his friends and family will be dead if he's 110 with an 80 year old body.

Why? What's the point of being alive if everything and everyone you know, care for or love are dead, gone or buried?

It reminds me of this scientist who has been eating 70% of his calorie intake and exercising. He is 55 but his body is 35. He says he doesn't see the point to keep it up since all his friends and family will be dead if he's 110 with an 80 year old body.

I've moved so many times, and every time you have to start over and make new friends, new loved ones, etc. Moving forwards in time will be similar to moving countries. I'm sure I'll find new people to know and care for, if I so desire. Besides, life is not solely defined by ones relationships, at least not for me.

Is it not pure hubris (or folly) of man that we can barely correct Earth's ozone layer and are faced with the insurmountable task of reversing or at least stabilising global warming yet we think we can go to another planet and play God with their climate?

Is it not pure hubris (or folly) of man that we can barely correct Earth's ozone layer and are faced with the insurmountable task of reversing or at least stabilising global warming yet we think we can go to another planet and play God with their climate?

It is true though. The dust and co2 would create an atmosphere. A more durable solution would be building thermonuclear plants.

Musk said on 60 minutes last year inhabiting Mars within a decade is our only hope for survival. Yes he's totally crazy to want to live on Mars but he's well informed on climate science and already knows our extinction on earth (really the universe OLO) is just a matter of decades.

Musk said on 60 minutes last year inhabiting Mars within a decade is our only hope for survival. Yes he's totally crazy to want to live on Mars but he's well informed on climate science and already knows our extinction on earth (really the universe OLO) is just a matter of decades.

He sure is. Ideally we'd need to spread out beyond the solar system to ensure survival, after which we'd able to have as much fun as we like until heath death, unless mankind finds a way around that too.

I only listen to and read what Elon Musk says now. All other sources of scientific knowledge are useless compared to his massive memory banks.

Possibly Elon can team up with Ed Begley Jr. another supermind when it comes to environmentalism and climate change. Here is an excerpt from a letter from the President of the American Public Health Association peeing his pants to have EdJr as a keynote speaker

image.jpg

Is it not pure hubris (or folly) of man that we can barely sail across the Mediterranean and are faced with the insurmountable task of finding room for our population to expand yet we think we can sail off the edge of the earth and find other continents?

You sit here and snivel, the rest of mankind will try to apply climate change for the betterment of humanity.

If Mars were terraformed, who would go and sew cotton pocket squares? huge hit on earth
profit promised

Luckily there aren't any Martians. Otherwise, how would we explain it? "We buggered up our planet so we're taking yours mate."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom