Introduce Yourself

Welcome to DW Enrico Cuccia.

Your first task is to decide if you are for Jordan Peterson or against him.

Is he the savour of common sense or the stupid man's smart person?

Hi there! This is for you:
IMG_2473_2.jpg

And one for the guests when you want to get rid of them very quick:

Looks tasty.

When I was travelling through Timor, many years ago now, I visited a place called Oekusi, an enclave of East Timor on the north coast of West Timor. As my friend and I were walking along the street, we were accosted by a short, very muscular man wearing camouflage army fatigues. He turned out to be the commandant of the local Indonesian military hospital and he invited us to dinner and ordered two of his nurses to lend us their motor scooters so that we could do some sightseeing before dinner. His parting words were "Bring some alcohol!"

So, as we were puttering about the coast near the township, we kept an eye out for somewhere that might sell alcohol. Stopping off at a local shop, we asked the shopkeeper whether he had anything to drink that wasn't arak (arak was the local moonshine, distilled from palm sap or coconuts. It tasted like a cross between paint stripper and petrol and could cause alcohol poisoning). He brought down a brown bottle from behind the counter with a label that said something like "Captain Ahab's Whiskey".

I turned it over and looked at the back. The ingredients list read, simply: Alcohol. Whisky flavouring.

Looks tasty.

When I was travelling through Timor, many years ago now, I visited a place called Oekusi, an enclave of East Timor on the north coast of West Timor. As my friend and I were walking along the street, we were accosted by a short, very muscular man wearing camouflage army fatigues. He turned out to be the commandant of the local Indonesian military hospital and he invited us to dinner and ordered two of his nurses to lend us their motor scooters so that we could do some sightseeing before dinner. His parting words were "Bring some alcohol!"

So, as we were puttering about the coast near the township, we kept an eye out for somewhere that might sell alcohol. Stopping off at a local shop, we asked the shopkeeper whether he had anything to drink that wasn't arak (arak was the local moonshine, distilled from palm sap or coconuts. It tasted like a cross between paint stripper and petrol and could cause alcohol poisoning). He brought down a brown bottle from behind the counter with a label that said something like "Captain Ahab's Whiskey".

I turned it over and looked at the back. The ingredients list read, simply: Alcohol. Whisky flavouring.

Reminds me of the time I was in Ecuador with only the local chocolate based liqueur to keep the communist guerillas at bay. You can get that Arak/Arrack over here, it's apparently essential for a few vintage cocktails. Like a filthy oily sweet rum, but the after effects come on rather rapidly and can lead to a state of punk like savageness as you start pogoing in the living room whilst the wife and kids look on rather disapprovingly.

Reminds me of the time I was in Ecuador with only the local chocolate based liqueur to keep the communist guerillas at bay. You can get that Arak/Arrack over here, it's apparently essential for a few vintage cocktails. Like a filthy oily sweet rum, but the after effects come on rather rapidly and can lead to a state of punk like savageness as you start pogoing in the living room whilst the wife and kids look on rather disapprovingly.

Wouldn't it be the chicha that is made out of sugar cane and not arak that is like anise? Both look very cloudy in the glass when mixed, but the arak tastes better.

I don't even want to leave this thread. It's just one big boozy party over here.
Oh but do. Git on over to the People Who Died thread and check out all the English rock and roll assholes you've never heard of.

Wouldn't it be the chicha that is made out of sugar cane and not arak that is like anise? Both look very cloudy in the glass when mixed, but the arak tastes better.

No, they definitely call it arak here in the Netherlands.

Oh but do. Git on over to the People Who Died thread and check out all the English rock and roll assholes you've never heard of.

All part and parcel of your free musical education, consider yourself schooled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom