Is dressing well turning into a form of cosplay?

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
Quite. But generally I try and aim for getting close enough to not stand out excessively while still wearing appropriate enough clothing I maintain some modicum of self respect.
I used to try and fit in but now just wear dark navy suit, black shoes, white shirt, black funeral tie = grenadine.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
I think it's inevitable that at any family gathering these days there will be a wide delta of t-shirts, tracksuits and sans tie looks before you reach the pinnacle of sartorial refinement in one's good self. I rarely attend, as I rarely get an invite and in my parents divorce, my mum's side got me and my father's side kind of blanked me. I think it was in the settlement. If you do it right, you can walk into any spit and sawdust bar or any estate pub in a jacket and tie, the secret is to buy a round in for everyone and make sure you have your uncle with you who can vouch for your credentials and still owes you for the concert tickets for Macca at the Albert Docks in 1990 and that Blondie concert in Manchester in the mid-1990s. You also need to be able to speak the local lingo.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings
This thread ended up being too timely. Have a funeral tomorrow for a guy I went to High School with.

I will say that the vast majority at this one will be in appropriate attite.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
My 94yo grandmother-in-law will pass this week. I’m going to look crazy out of place in a dark suit when everyone else is in traditional Buddhist mourning wear.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
My 94yo grandmother-in-law will pass this week. I’m going to look crazy out of place in a dark suit when everyone else is in traditional Buddhist mourning wear.
What is traditional Buddhist mourning wear - I'm ignorant

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
aah Vietnamese dress I know a little about. Ms fxh used to work with a Vietnamese group and they had an áo dài dress made for her as a present. Only thing is shes 5'9" or so and beside them she looked like a GIANT. Funnily the men all thought she looked like a blonde movie star!
One of the ladies father was a "priest" and he dressed in the full regalia at times. He was about 90 when I knew him but an interesting sophisticated bloke - he'd been a journalist for Le Monde in Vietnam and Africa. Spoke about 5 languages and got out on a leaky boat to Australia just after the war

Top Bottom