Is dressing well turning into a form of cosplay?

I've always though that Old Nick himself would be a creature of great style and charm. For how would he seduce otherwise?

I think Christian iconography has it wrong.

Oh, I think Satan is often depicted in Christian comic books and tracts as handsome, elegant and charming. We all know the phrase "handsome devil," and he is also portrayed in song as "a man of wealth and taste."

Oh, I don't think that Christian iconography is always wrong about that. After all, the Apostle says in 2 Corinthians 11,14 that Satan masquerades as an "angel of light," and in no few contemporary Christian comic books and tracts, he is depicted as elegant, handsome and charming. And he is described by the Stones as "a man of wealth and taste."

Puffy jackets are ubiquitous here (and everywhere). Rich and poor have them. As well as the sensible middle class. And guess what .......... they are all Uniqlo. Even the rich wear them.

I've always though that Old Nick himself would be a creature of great style and charm. For how would he seduce otherwise?

Apparently the `demon of greed' appears this way. He wears a dapper business suit. He is the most stylish of all the demons.

greed_demon.jpg

but if one has roving eyes of wild desire this green guy may become a part of you
Demon of lust.jpg

It's easy for humans to become controlled by these things. The wise ones always talked about ways to stay clear of these types of things. When desire has free reign we can unintentionally invite all types of things. Best to follow the advice of the `wise ones' and keep a pure heart me thinks. Excessive desire invites trouble.

Oh, I don't think that Christian iconography is always wrong about that. After all, the Apostle says in 2 Corinthians 11,14 that Satan masquerades as an "angel of light," and in no few contemporary Christian comic books and tracts, he is depicted as elegant, handsome and charming. And he is described by the Stones as "a man of wealth and taste."

Well, Satan is often portrayed as a serpent or serpent like, which plays on Mankind's primordial/innate fear of snakes.

The identification of the snake in the Garden with Satan is comparatively late. If you read the account in Genesis, the tempter is quite clearly a literal snake.

The identification of the snake in the Garden with Satan is comparatively late. If you read the account in Genesis, the tempter is quite clearly a literal snake.

It has been known to take many forms. In the east it has taken the form of the red dragon, but it has also been seen as the serpent. People have also seen it as light, and it can also imitate the Gods to try and fool people into worshipping it. It's very crafty.

Last edited:
Oh, I think Satan is often depicted in Christian comic books and tracts as handsome, elegant and charming. We all know the phrase "handsome devil," and he is also portrayed in song as "a man of wealth and taste."
That’s not just A song. That’s THE song.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20190307-is-it-the-end-for-the-mans-suit

Businessinsider already covered this but the GQ America editor-in-chief looks and sounds like a tw@

That's exactly what I could see coming a mile away: the traditional suit as symbol of toxic masculinity and the patriarchy. In the cultural revolution, no better way to declare your ideological purity & by making the evolutionary jump into streetwear and sartorial fluidity. Ideally with gender fluidity as well!

Time to man-up and dress as a mad European aristocrat to piss these idiots off completely. The return of the thin white duke....

It is not surprising as the youngs see the suit as undesireable. But thesse are also people who think that sweatpants and the knitted cuffs tucked into their socks is appropriate style.

Haven't you noticed how the young's whine about suits not being comfortable? The age old trope of being strangled by their ties.

Of course the snowflakes also find denim uncomfortable unless they are jeggings.

They wear women's panties because cotton men's underwear is uncomfortable for their unused incel penors.

It is not surprising as the youngs see the suit as undesireable. But thesse are also people who think that sweatpants and the knitted cuffs tucked into their socks is appropriate style.

Haven't you noticed how the young's whine about suits not being comfortable? The age old trope of being strangled by their ties.

Of course the snowflakes also find denim uncomfortable unless they are jeggings.

They wear women's panties because cotton men's underwear is uncomfortable for their unused incel penors.

My brother is 3.5 years younger than me, which means he's 45 years of age and last year when I was back in Blighty he was sporting jeggings and actually said to me what was I do wearing traditional fit chinos like he was all hip in his bone crushing and thigh hugging half mast male leggings. It looks effete and I see lots of men sporting these contraptions and it really is going to end-up being the equivalent of bell-bottoms in the near future with no one wanting to have been associated with this fashion evolutionary dead-end.

My brother is 3.5 years younger than me, which means he's 45 years of age and last year when I was back in Blighty he was sporting jeggings and actually said to me what was I do wearing traditional fit chinos like he was all hip in his bone crushing and thigh hugging half mast male leggings. It looks effete and I see lots of men sporting these contraptions and it really is going to end-up being the equivalent of bell-bottoms in the near future with no one wanting to have been associated with this fashion evolutionary dead-end.
Tis a sad day indeed my friend. But we are keeping up the good fight!

Amen to all this.
I read that new GQ editorial. Stinks of desperation, a magazine in frenzied search of a buying public before it goes dark.

The late and severely lamented Style Guy Glen O’Brien would be spinning in his grave if he witnessed this.

Or maybe not. Maybe he’d continue to plough his furrow with a cocked eyebrow and a wry smile at the slow death of a publication that may have begun right around the time they canned him!

Went to another funeral yesterday for a beloved chaplain connected to my wife's work. The latter was particularly concerned with how I would look. She needn't have been. I believe a majority of the men present were in sport shirts of one type or another, very few in coat and tie. One younger man--a handsome fellow with an exceptionally fine physique--was a wearing a black polo shirt! Good grief, is a polo shirt now acceptable attire for a formal funeral?

I am left wondering how many men these days even own suits for life's ceremonial occasions. I realize that a decent suit represents a considerable expenditure for most men, but you'd think they'd at least have a decent sport coat, blazer or two in their closets. A "California tux" (a Manton-ism: navy blazer and chinos) would be acceptable attire for even the most formal events in the circles I move in, with perhaps rare exceptions.

You can get a decent suit for less than the price of fashion sneakers

You can get a decent suit for less than the price of fashion sneakers
no you can't

I suppose it depends what we class as "fashion sneakers". However, there are plenty of pairs of sneakers that sell for anywhere from $600 to $1200 and probably more and you can definitely get a reasonable suit for those prices.

Heck, over in the US you can probably get a woollen suit from Men's Wearhouse for a few hundred dollars. It won't pass the iGent fashion forum test, but as long as the trousers and jacket sleeves are taken up, it will do for funerals, weddings and so on.

^I have very little experience with Men's Wearhouse, but I have bought my stepson several suits at Jos. A. Bank. The list prices are temptingly low, but they really ding you on the alterations. Thus, with tax and alterations, the nominally $200 suit will leave the store having cost the buyer well in excess of $300. This obviously sounds negligible to a connoisseur, but to a lot of fellows that sounds like substantial outlay for a garment he will hardly ever wear. I will say my stepson looks good in his JAB finery, but he has that very lean but athletic physique that can show clothes to best advantage.

^I have very little experience with Men's Wearhouse, but I have bought my stepson several suits at Jos. A. Bank. The list prices are temptingly low, but they really ding you on the alterations. Thus, with tax and alterations, the nominally $200 suit will leave the store having cost the buyer well in excess of $300. This obviously sounds negligible to a connoisseur, but to a lot of fellows that sounds like substantial outlay for a garment he will hardly ever wear. I will say my stepson looks good in his JAB finery, but he has that very lean but athletic physique that can show clothes to best advantage.
I admit that when fxh said decent i was thinking something above the JAB level

Why would anyone wish to fork out 600 quid for a pair of trainers? ('sneakers' to the rest of the world) They're meant for sport, they're expendable, there's nothing much that you can put in in terms of technology and materials and what have you, and therefore not worth spending a fortune on.

I mean I could understand shelling out that kind of money for hiking boots, but trainers? It's not like they're hand-welted or anything. And if they are, it doesn't add any benefit. Hand-welting a rubber sole to a canvas upper? Tsk. For an end result that looks like, well, a pair of shoes for PE? Tsk tsk.

I just don't know. I just don't know.

Fifty quid is my ceiling for trainers. That's just for beach lounging. A hundred and fifty for real trainers (i.e. the kind you actually wear for a run). Five hundred for hiking boot (i.e. the kind you wear to climb Ben Nevis). A thousand for mountain boots (i.e. the kind you wear to climb Everest).

I'm currently in the market for a pair of espadrilles. Summer will come, and the heatwaves too, as sure as morn follows night. Sub ten quid, please.

My brother-in-law just spent several thousand dollars for a pair of custom made hiking boots. He had to if he wanted such boots. The poor bastard is a size 17AAA. He wrote an interesting article in the L.A. Times (he is a staff writer for that paper) about the Mormon cordwainer who made them. If only he were a size 17EEE, I have joked, he could run around barefoot in the woods leaving spurious but convincing Bigfoot trails!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom