It's always five o'clock somewhere

ter1413 ter1413 so how many bottles of booze do you have? I'm starting up a wet bar at home and I'm trying to get a sense of how much people typically have.
I can field this - it really boils down to what you, and your guests, drink. There's no point in having a bottle of brandy if you're never making cocktails with it. Conversely, if you're a rum whore, having 2 or three rims of different tastes would be a great way to enjoy yourself. Buy what you like and build out from there. Always have 1 of each basic - vodka, rum, scotch, gin, tequila. Have mixers like various sodas and limes. And a few of each glass type, depending on the amount of people you have drinking - highball, rocks, martini (if you drink them) and any others you might use.

I can field this - it really boils down to what you, and your guests, drink. There's no point in having a bottle of brandy if you're never making cocktails with it. Conversely, if you're a rum whore, having 2 or three rims of different tastes would be a great way to enjoy yourself. Buy what you like and build out from there. Always have 1 of each basic - vodka, rum, scotch, gin, tequila. Have mixers like various sodas and limes. And a few of each glass type, depending on the amount of people you have drinking - highball, rocks, martini (if you drink them) and any others you might use.

The other reason that I don;t really have loads of drinkable stuff can be traced to 2 stories/house parties when I was a teen:

-Party 1: Up the block from my mom's place. Loads of people me and my crew knew. We are sitting in the living room drinking 40's. One dude who we didn't know gets up, goes into the corner of the living room(which was carpeted) and pissed on the wall. Literally right on the wall in the corner. Ok.

-Party 2: Basement party. We are there and some dude gets "tipsy." He walked towards the back of the basement looking for the bathroom. He precedes to open the refrigerator door in the basement and piss into the fridge. He must have though that was the toilet? Came back and just sits down.

My motto since then has been..."I will go to your house to party. You ain't coming to mine!"

This is how I set it up, though I'm buying a sideboard this coming year to reconfigure.

In house, globe bar (hell yes) with the staple and regulars like scotch. Gin, Jack , Vodka etc.. Wine and glass ware.

IMAG0262.jpg

Then in garage storage room, all the specialty, backups and various mixers. Note Old Protero.

IMAG0261.jpg

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate the Jack Rudy tonic I was telling you about in foreground to right of Old Protrero. I have some of batch 88, they come in numbered batches.

Edit:Some moonshine in there too.

This is how I set it up, though I'm buying a sideboard this coming year to reconfigure.

In house, globe bar (hell yes) with the staple and regulars like scotch. Gin, Jack , Vodka etc.. Wine and glass ware.

View attachment 4112

Then in garage storage room, all the specialty, backups and various mixers. Note Old Protero.

View attachment 4113
Holy shit that globe bar is awesome! Where the fuck do you get one of those?

Holy shit that globe bar is awesome! Where the fuck do you get one of those?

Dunno, wife got it for me for Christmas awhile back. Top ten gift I've gotten all time.

The Jack Rudy is Charleston SC, anti Northern. Or Southern if you will.

No NO NO, the fuck you saying? You sayng I'ma lightweight? fuck you! That's racist. JI'm hispanic, I can drink mor than you.

Hispanics can hold their liquor. They just can't hold their heads up off the bar table while drinking. Hard time keeping their eyes open too.

Hispanics can hold their liquor. They just can't hold their heads up off the bar table while drinking. Hard time keeping their eyes open too.

An ex hispanic GF(Puerto Rican chick) could dust off a 1/2 bottle of Jack with no problem.
Drawback was that she got into loads of trouble and did some serious jail time....
(True story.)

It's the power of your liver and metabolism. I don't think that one culture can drink better than any other. Plus it's all about conditioning. Gotta work at it

I plan to drink less this year - will be difficult with a house full of wine and whisky, and a thirst for it!!! Here are some of the whiskeys...
Whiskey.jpg
Whiskey1.jpg

So a guy I did a deal with last year sent me this bottle of Glenfiddich while I was away on vacation. That sort of eased the pain of being back at work. Unfortunately I gave up booze for January.
:sadwhy:
image.jpg

How is that Dalmore KAIII? I used to crush the Dalmore 12 until they jacked the price way up here.

I'm no connosuier and couldn't begin to describe it like some can, but its bloody superb. That and the Ballantyne 30 are my favourites.

I generally prefer the speyside style - a bit more sherried / sweeter, and even though the Dalmore is Highlands (I think), it's very similar in that it has the sherry/port cask flavour.

What drink should I pair with pipe smoking? I currently use brandy, some Paul Masson VSOP to be exact.

No rum drinkers here?

MFDoom MFDoom what spirit are you into these days? Still on your bourbon kick?

Rum is good. Unfortunately I'm fresh out of Diplomatico Reserva 12 y/o which is an absolute belter. There're some nice ones among these below, especially the Ron Zacapa. The Cadenhead gets good reviews but I just don't get it.
Rum.jpg

See if you can get your hands on the diplomatico 12 and you'll love it with a smoke. I find it pairs really well with a medium to full bodied cigar. It's a far cry from the mainstream rum out there.

I generally prefer the speyside style - a bit more sherried / sweeter, and even though the Dalmore is Highlands (I think), it's very similar in that it has the sherry/port cask flavour.

I have similar tastes, Balvenie Doublewood is generally my go to, and I like the Glenmorangie Sherry Cask as well.

I don't do Islay at all, not a peat fan.

Rum is good. Unfortunately I'm fresh out of Diplomatico Reserva 12 y/o which is an absolute belter. There're some nice ones among these below, especially the Ron Zacapa. The Cadenhead gets good reviews but I just don't get it.
View attachment 4240
Hello my darlings...

Wait, why no Ron Zacapa 23?

So for winter i'm heavy into scotch. Ardbeg 10, Cutty Prohibition, Glendronach 15, Dalmore 12. That said, I will hit the rums (Zacapa, Diplomatico, Cartavio among others), and the bourbons (Evan Williams Single barrel, Balcones Brimstone, Blanton's, and others)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom