It's always five o'clock somewhere

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
yes, and it could be. who knows?
Organic wine = pesticide free
Vegan wine = wine without egg whites, casein (a milk product), isinglass (derived from fish), or gelatin (derived from animal hooves)

That bottle of Lafite could have had all those. I feel sorry for the vegetarians who kept downing wine thinking it was animal free.

Kingstonian

Ratings
In Scotland maybe. British beer is pretty fucking average and there's nothing better than LP.
Nonsense.

Pride is anodyne, marginally better than Doombar. Many shit pubs that do actually bother to offer an ale will now often have one or both of these and it will often be poorly kept.

Fullers used to offer great beers. Chiswick was a magnificent session beer which they now rarely offer. Fullers are chasing profits at the expense of quality, mirroring what Young’s are doing. Young’s Ordinary was a better beer than Fullers though and decades ago I used to have the opposite opinion.

There are hundreds of magnificent British beers from lots of smaller producers.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings
Nonsense.

Pride is anodyne, marginally better than Doombar. Many shit pubs that do actually bother to offer an ale will now often have one or both of these and it will often be poorly kept.

Fullers used to offer great beers. Chiswick was a magnificent session beer which they now rarely offer. Fullers are chasing profits at the expense of quality, mirroring what Young’s are doing. Young’s Ordinary was a better beer than Fullers though and decades ago I used to have the opposite opinion.

There are hundreds of magnificent British beers from lots of smaller producers.
Session has been in every Fullers pub I've been in today.
For example

https://www.thewilloughbyarms.com/2.html

Downtown chocolate orange
Titanic plum porter
Brightwater beers.
That is some truly fucking terrible beer.

MES

Ratings
In Scotland maybe. British beer is pretty fucking average and there's nothing better than LP.
Scotland tends more towards small craft producers, fewer real ale. We're mostly chasing American styles, tons of hazy NEIPAs now. Fortunately there's a resurgence in more traditional malty beer, too - 80 shillings, 'scotch ales' and so on.

When I lived in Cambridge there was a wealth of fantastic real ale, and excellent pubs. So many places keep their ale terribly though, often in a crab pub I'd get a can of something or a mass produced lager instead.

Kingstonian

Ratings
When I lived in Cambridge there was a wealth of fantastic real ale, and excellent pubs. So many places keep their ale terribly though, often in a crab pub I'd get a can of something or a mass produced lager instead.
Free Press and Geldart are good Cambridge pubs. Guinness is my bailout drink if the beers are no good.

Kingstonian

Ratings
Ha. No.

I have actually, and you listed the chocolate orange, which is a fucking joke.
Well I hear what you say but I don’t believe you. I can be suspicious when I suspect people are trying to bullshit me. You also mention Fullers session beer. No pump clip ever states “session beer”. It would simply show “Chiswick”.Chiswick is now a seasonal offering. “Oliver’s Island” and similar are the standard Fullers offering in place of Chiswick.

I know many of the breweries I listed, but there are new breweries emerging all the time.

Chocolate orange and plum porter sound weird but I have tried them over the years and found them to be excellent though they are not my regular beers and I would not drink them all night.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Scotland tends more towards small craft producers, fewer real ale. We're mostly chasing American styles, tons of hazy NEIPAs now. Fortunately there's a resurgence in more traditional malty beer, too - 80 shillings, 'scotch ales' and so on..
I use to find Scottish ales drunk in Scotland from the tap all rather gassy. McEwan's I use to like in cans and their shillings ales from the bottle, but in a Scottish pub it was like fizzy pop. Over here the definition ''Scotch'' just means a very strong beer.

That area around Cambridge, Suffolk and all the way up to King's Lynn in Norfolk is great real ale country. It's also one of the last bastions of old England. Or was, I was last there in the very early 2000's for a short time in Downham Market. There was a beer shop in an old hanger on the way to King's Lynn that had every beer and ale brewed by man with all the glasses from the brewery. Happy days.

I don't drink beer now, I find a session is all fuzzy and blurry and the next day I'm wasted. And then there's the calorie intake. If I'm going to have a beer, just one is enough for me before a meal. I use to love it, that Shane MacGowan/Pogues world of delightful drunken old days and that feeling of being out on the lash and getting wasted just for the fun of it. The problem is you grow up and you can never go back to that world of your youth.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings
Well I hear what you say but I don’t believe you. I can be suspicious when I suspect people are trying to bullshit me. You also mention Fullers session beer. No pump clip ever states “session beer”. It would simply show “Chiswick”.Chiswick is now a seasonal offering. “Oliver’s Island” and similar are the standard Fullers offering in place of Chiswick.

I know many of the breweries I listed, but there are new breweries emerging all the time.

Chocolate orange and plum porter sound weird but I have tried them over the years and found them to be excellent though they are not my regular beers and I would not drink them all night.
I'll take a picture today if I see one again. It most definitely says Session.

MES

Ratings
I have definitely seen labels with 'session beer' on them, it's useful if you're not a walking CAMRA good beer guide.

Titanic plum porter I've only had in wetherspoons, so I don't trust it... some of the others on that list are great though -
Oakham citra
Fyne jarl
Thornbridve jaipur
Hobsons mild

Looks like a decent pub when they're not having English celebrations. Morris dancing!

MES

Ratings
Does anyone here brew their own? I made a couple of batches last year, mostly hoppy pale ales, but struggled to keep my flat warm enough for decent fermentation.

I think I'll try again this year, now in a flat with decent insulation.

Kingstonian

Ratings
I have definitely seen labels with 'session beer' on them, it's useful if you're not a walking CAMRA good beer guide.

Titanic plum porter I've only had in wetherspoons, so I don't trust it... some of the others on that list are great though -
Oakham citra
Fyne jarl
Thornbridve jaipur
Hobsons mild

Looks like a decent pub when they're not having English celebrations. Morris dancing!
Oakham Citra and Jaipur are regular offerings in my local Wetherspoon. Jaipur was the only beer left at The Sultan beer festival in Wimbledon last night! Fortunately the regular Hopback beers were still available inside at the bar. Both Oakham and Hopback consistently offer good ales.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I haven't been to London in a few years. I worked there a decade ago. Last I was there it was Pride or Young's.

Had 5 glasses of wine, 3 Johnnie Black and I sucked on 1/4 bottle of CC last night. Remarkably functional at work today.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
It’s generally overrated IMO, and certainly mostly overpriced.
The prices dropped over here after Fukishima and have yet to recover. The article doesn't mention that this kind of thing happens with most distilleries and is temporary e.g. a couple of years back you couldn't get Glenfiddich 21 year old. I remember in the early 1990s you couldn't get my grandfather's favourite Springbank for quite sometime as the Japanese had a fad for it and supplies in the UK dried up.

prince nez

Supporter
Ratings
for you japanese whiskey fans, best to stock up now

Japan Is Running Out Of Whisky
The prices dropped over here after Fukishima and have yet to recover. The article doesn't mention that this kind of thing happens with most distilleries and is temporary e.g. a couple of years back you couldn't get Glenfiddich 21 year old. I remember in the early 1990s you couldn't get my grandfather's favourite Springbank for quite sometime as the Japanese had a fad for it and supplies in the UK dried up.
“i am sorry but it is extinguished forever. it is no longer being made. i sold the last bottle to a customer in japan”

it is the perfect romatic napoli lie basically applied to any item no longer in stock. it makes you feel extra bad knowing some manga loving jap is now drinking your whisky and makes you eager to buy any remaing stock items before some jap tourists [or even worse, chinamen from a culturally inferior azn country] swarm the bottle shop like a bunch of grasshoppers raiding it completely

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I heard Hennessy has serious issues maintaining their quality. That's why they are going down market. As I said this is what happens when your supply is constrained (geography, time, money) and you get greedy selling everything until the straw breaks the camel.

Kingstonian

Ratings
Nice couple of pints in the sun yesterday. Surrey Hills Ranmore at The Cricketers on Epsom Common after sampling beer from the Fuzzchat brewery based at The Jolly Coopers further up the road.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Stumbled into this rather pleasant aperitif: tall glass filled with ice, a few slivers of ginger with the pith removed, 50ml of Beefeater gin, 20 ml of Bundaberg ginger beer, top-up with soda water and a wedge of lime. Drink 2 or 3 before dinner.

Top Bottom