It's always five o'clock somewhere

Fwiffo

Supporter
Fwiffo you are overthinking this. A bottle of blended whisky costs far less than 16 year old Lagavulin.
Are you telling me Cutty Sark or Bell's is just as effective at tending to wounds?

Honestly I have heard of vodka because it's relatively more pure. I never thought to rub peaty brown stuff on a wound. Maybe Laphroaig can double as embalming liquid but that's another discussion.

The Ernesto

It's about the alcohol content, the higher the better.

My effort probably made no difference in terms of bacteria, but I felt I had to do something, dammit.

Kingstonian

Are you telling me Cutty Sark or Bell's is just as effective at tending to wounds?

Honestly I have heard of vodka because it's relatively more pure. I never thought to rub peaty brown stuff on a wound. Maybe Laphroaig can double as embalming liquid but that's another discussion.
If you insist on putting Lagavulin on your wounds White Horse blend traditionally used that particular malt in its blend. It would be a cheaper option than the 16 year old.

Fwiffo

Supporter
On Wednesday and Thursday I went out for drinks till about 2130 as part of my after work rituals. On Friday I had a few drinks at home and headed out to have dinner since my fridge is broken. My former work mate messages me and I end up at a jazz club, a champagne bar and a club. Somehow made my way home after 2am and given I was up at 5am that's a feat. By my count, 2x Dewar's, 2x Johnnie Walker Black, 2x 9oz pinot grigio, 1 campari on the rocks, 1x double macallan, 1 glass of champagne, 1 old fashioned, 1 double Jameson, 1 or 2 double Elijah Craig's.

Then the next day I'm with my mates at the footy game, a cocktail bar and a vegan restaurant and a comedy club. 3x 9oz pinot grigio, 1 14oz craft ale, 2 old fashioneds, 3 double Jameson. It was only 12am and I was sloshed. The next lunch it was Mother's Day and I gave my mother a hug and she said I smelt like booze.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Then the next day I'm with my mates at the footy game, a cocktail bar and a vegan restaurant and a comedy club.

WTF

Fwiffo

Supporter
Then the next day I'm with my mates at the footy game, a cocktail bar and a vegan restaurant and a comedy club.

WTF
A priest, a nun and a rabbi...
I was at the footy game with my former staff and my school mate since grade 7. Then the former staffer had to go home so my school mate and I grabbed a scotch egg and an ale at a craft brewery because we were waiting for the crowds to die down at the rail station. Then his girlfriend was nagging him to go home so I made it further north to meet with someone who just finished a birthday party with his daughter at the cocktail bar. Then vegan restaurant because the cocktail bar had nuts, pickles and bread. We mostly hung out there because there was a table of lovely young birds drinking water all night. Then he wanted to go to his old haunt which was a comedy club although we never made it past the bar to the actual show.

Kingstonian

I was at the footy game with my former staff and my school mate since grade 7. Then the former staffer had to go home so my school mate and I grabbed a scotch egg and an ale at a craft brewery because we were waiting for the crowds to die down at the rail station. Then his girlfriend was nagging him to go home so I made it further north to meet with someone who just finished a birthday party with his daughter at the cocktail bar. Then vegan restaurant because the cocktail bar had nuts, pickles and bread. We mostly hung out there because there was a table of lovely young birds drinking water all night. Then he wanted to go to his old haunt which was a comedy club although we never made it past the bar to the actual show.
Do they have Scotch eggs abroad? They used to be simple, inexpensive snacks. Now they can cost a fiver in poncy establishments.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Do they have Scotch eggs abroad? They used to be simple, inexpensive snacks. Now they can cost a fiver in poncy establishments.
IMG_20190511_1756213.jpg

This was 9 CAD so 5 quid.

Our stadium used to have chip Butty and Scotch egg but over the years when we signed an Italian star the menu changed to porchetta and other Italian things. Now it's only found at pubs and usually the posh ones.

Pimpernel Smith

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=5054&ar=1

Don’t ask what goes into them though.

Then again an omelette is expensive in cafes. Three large free range eggs 45p to 50p. I don’t mind paying for a cooked breakfast as some coordination is required, but a plain omelette is simple and not difficult if you add further ingredients either.
My missus bought me a bottle of a Lidl available Bordeux from 2016 the other day, so good I told her to get a couple of boxes, which did. She said it was Euros 10 a bottle, which knowing my missus, probably means it was half of that. I daren't look it up the price, but for super market wine this beats all competitors in the Netherlands.

Fwiffo

Supporter
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=5054&ar=1

Don’t ask what goes into them though.

Then again an omelette is expensive in cafes. Three large free range eggs 45p to 50p. I don’t mind paying for a cooked breakfast as some coordination is required, but a plain omelette is simple and not difficult if you add further ingredients either.
I'm always wary of getting eggs. A lot of cafés and even Starbucks have boiled eggs in a container and I often wonder how it lives for that long in the packaging.

If you want to save money you should never go out for breakfast. You can make a pan full of bacon and a bowl of scrambled eggs and give yourself a coronary a few times over for peanuts.

Fwiffo

Supporter
My missus bought me a bottle of a Lidl available Bordeux from 2016 the other day, so good I told her to get a couple of boxes, which did. She said it was Euros 10 a bottle, which knowing my missus, probably means it was half of that. I daren't look it up the price, but for super market wine this beats all competitors in the Netherlands.
Why does she inflate the price?

I find the worst wine here is yellow tail. It's so sugary having a sip gives me the premonition I will have a headache.

Pimpernel Smith

So I don't think it's cheap and nasty.

I find the worst wine here is yellow tail. It's so sugary having a sip gives me the premonition I will have a headache.
Indeed, that Yellow Tail and similar Californian wines are dreadful. The Americans still do a good Chardonnay's in the 14-14.5% zone. I use to like the heavily oaked ones as well. The general quality of New World wines seem to have diminished in recent years, compared to the glory of the early to mid-90s when they were all the rage.

Bought a bottle of John Barr Red. Half of the price of JW Red Label and there's also a Black version, again half the price. Turns out this was the UK replacement for JW Red and Black in 1977 when JW pulled-out of the Brit market through European Community interference. As an established brand in the UK they didn't need spend that much on marketing and adverts and so the blend was cheaper than in the rest of Europe. The EC wanted this changed. So Distillers Company decided to pull the brand from UK markets and bring in John Barr as an obvious replacement. But it never gained the market share that Red and Black Label had.

This new version of John Barr has some terrible reviews. I've got it for some hot toddies as I am full of sinusitis at present. JW Red can be reasonable if you're desperate with lashings of ice or with soda water as a long drink. I certainly don't expect it to be any better than JW, but if it's the same good as a mixer quality than it is a clear winner and I will get some more at Euros 13.99 per litre.

john-barr-red_b870ca0d-0f16-46f3-b5ba-87a4aa2a6580_2048x.jpg

Edit: whilst it's not JW Red, it's certainly not any worse or better.

Last edited:

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter

Yellow Tail is alcoholic cordial. Dreadful. For years Americans would ask me about Yellow Tail. But it was never sold here at all. Never heard of it. Then about 5 years ago they started selling it here. Bloody awful.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Edit: whilst it's not JW Red, it's certainly not any worse or better.
The Johnnie Walker Red that Churchill drank was different. I have an early 1990s Johnnie Walker Black and the taste is very different than the present day blend.

Whisky is just something I don't mix with anything else. I've never heard of your Johnnie Walker knock off though.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Yellow Tail is alcoholic cordial. Dreadful. For years Americans would ask me about Yellow Tail. But it was never sold here at all. Never heard of it. Then about 5 years ago they started selling it here. Bloody awful.
Then why are you exporting it to poison the lot of us?

Pimpernel Smith

Ugh. Oaked awfulness.
As I said, I liked the oaked chardonnay's of the 1990s. I am a bit of wine snob, but I do make exceptions here.

The Johnnie Walker Red that Churchill drank was different. I have an early 1990s Johnnie Walker Black and the taste is very different than the present day blend.

Whisky is just something I don't mix with anything else. I've never heard of your Johnnie Walker knock off though.
All the blends are going to develop over time. When blends really became popular in the 1930s, they were seen as a better quality product than single malts. I've seen tastings of JW Red from the 1960s with the modern version and it's pretty much agreed that the older version is a better quality whisky. I've had a lot of variations in batches of whisky, especially blends. I consider most of the cheaper UK popular blends far superior to JW Red and Black i.e. Famous Grouse, Bell's and Teachers. Where JW starts getting good is in the Green and above. The Gold was great when it was an 18 year old expression, but the couple of times I've had recently was very average.

The JW ''knock off'' was originally a replacement to get the European Community off the neck of Distillers Company. It was the same company producing the blend. How similar it was? Dunno. Now it's owned by a different group, but the chief difference I found against Red Label is that where you get a sweetness with JW, you have a cereal taste here. Pretty much comparable in the cheap and cheery better mix it whisky league.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Don't ask me - You buy the shit
My last yellow tail was a two litre jug at a sushi making class. I pleaded my ex lady friend not to buy one with cash and she did and I ended up having to finish it for her. I only seem to see yellow tail in litre sized volume bottles.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Everything time I buy champagne I have my eyes locked one a few bottles of cremant.

Pimpernel Smith

Purchased a bottle of the John Barr black label, the so called Reserve Blend. Pretty much as the red, a more than good JW Black replacement. With a couple of ice cubes almost identical.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Purchased a bottle of the John Barr black label, the so called Reserve Blend. Pretty much as the red, a more than good JW Black replacement. With a couple of ice cubes almost identical.
I'm going to have to try this when I'm across the pond since I drink Johnnie black 3 or 4 times a week.

Pimpernel Smith

I'm going to have to try this when I'm across the pond since I drink Johnnie black 3 or 4 times a week.
I've never come across it before, but in The Netherlands they are just introducing it into the market. The black version is Euros 16.99 ''Special Introductionary'' price a litre bottle. Great value.

Kingstonian

Whisky tasting Berry Brothers whiskies at another venue.

Very nice grain whisky North British 1996 20 year old 54.8%. Grain whisky distilleries are not quaint old buildings, they are like ugly oil refineries. This one is outside Edinburgh. Nice whisky and grain whisky prices are not yet as silly as some single malts.

Really nice 17 year old Orkney 56.4%

Glen Keith 23 year old 58.2% with a beautiful nose.

Inexpensive blended sherry cask malt

Inexpensive Islay (Bunnahabain) nice though not a big peat monster.

The perspective a 35 year old vatted malt.

A good, informative evening and good value too. I hate crowded whisky shows where people rush around trying to sample as much as possible in a few hours. Far better to savour the taste and listen to what the blender has to say.

Top Bottom