It's always five o'clock somewhere

Pimpernel Smith

Had a few hours to kill in Lens, France, so took in the Louvre-Lens and one good thing about France, is that you get reasonable to quite quaffable wine in supermarkets at budget prices. You can even get drinkable wine in a box - which is not far from a miracle. And you don't walk in and see that horrendous wave of six-month old Australian blended wines that no one in Australia would touch from one end of the red wine section to the end. So I stocked up a little.

FYI: France to the UK on the Eurotunnel, the wine selection in the last six months has gone extremely good if you like Bordeaux. If you're going the other way though, you better like Fosters lager.

formby001

Benny and hot. Nice Winter warmer with a medicinal reputation.

Burnley miners club are the world’s biggest consumers of this.
That's related to WWI IIRC. Pretty well known about oop north.

I like Benedictine in a liqueur coffee.

Not had Chartreuse for decades, two variety IIRC yellow and green.

Pimpernel Smith

Quite simply the best wine in a bag ever, likely academic, as I'm pretty sure you won't get this outside of France:

IMG_0778.jpg

Needless to say, the full 50 glasses have gone in a week and a day, protecting more illustrious wines.

Depending on the impact of the cyclone weather bomb hitting the UK tomorrow, I plan to be a drinking a Baroness cocktail about this time tomorrow. Adventures in the cocktail hour in a grand hotel awaits...I hope and will post here. Otherwise it will be straight to the corporate conference on diversity in the hard engineering sciences, which I am sure we all thoroughly approve of. It will no doubt be a rather dull and staid affair.

Kingstonian

‘corporate conference on diversity in the hard engineering sciences’. Oh dear!

More women, minorities etc.? Or is it something completely different ?

I would be heading out of the hotel in search of a nice pub. I am not really a cocktail bar type. They seem a bit sterile.

Fwiffo

Supporter
‘corporate conference on diversity in the hard engineering sciences’. Oh dear!

More women, minorities etc.? Or is it something completely different ?

I would be heading out of the hotel in search of a nice pub. I am not really a cocktail bar type. They seem a bit sterile.
I wouldn't mind someone taking me to the Blue Bar.

An independent pub or the many many chain pubs?

Pimpernel Smith

Here's the Baroness, served in The Grand in Brighton:
IMG_0779.jpg

''Margaret Thatcher enjoyed nothing more than a whisky, hence the reason we have named a cocktail in her memory. She had a strong tongue and a vibrant personality which is matched perfectly by this cocktail.

Orange Marmalade | Monkey Shoulder Whisky | Lemon Juice | Cointreau | Angostura Bitters | Egg White''

Kingstonian

View attachment 33244

''Margaret Thatcher enjoyed nothing more than a whisky, hence the reason we have named a cocktail in her memory. She had a strong tongue and a vibrant personality which is matched perfectly by this cocktail.

Orange Marmalade | Monkey Shoulder Whisky | Lemon Juice | Cointreau | Angostura Bitters | Egg White''
I have all the ingredients so - if I was inclined - I could make one myself. However, marmalade has no place in a drink.

I always wonder what people do with egg yolks when they are only using the white.

I do shove Grand Marnier in cheap Lidl Queen Margot whisky but I don’t add lemon juice or Angostura bitters. GM with boiling water is also nice at this time of year and takes the sharpness off it. Cointreau bottle is going down slower than the GM.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Somehow I thought you were in London and not a seaside resort. Nice environmentally friendly paper straws. At my old club they had metal straws. Not sure if that was completely sanitary.

Arnathor

The Hamiltonian Hung Like a Horse
Supporter
View attachment 33244

One of the funniest youtubers, Ruby the X-Rated Parrot is in Brighton!

Top Bottom