It's always five o'clock somewhere

Pimpernel Smith

There are so many grades and age statements for Redbreast. Seems like they are bigging up what's ultimately an Irish whiskey.
Use to like the Redbreast and at the time I use to drink it, it was pretty much the best, better than any Bushmills three barrels or the now insanely priced Midleton which is like the standard JW Blue very average.

Did a serious amount of whisky in hot toddies over the last two weeks. Good job my sinusitis has abatted somewhat. Not buying any whisky this month. I've still some left mind you. Which reminds me of an interview with the late, great Brit comedian Bob Monkhouse who not long before he died, boasted how he drank half a bottle of single malt every day and a bottle of Bordeaux the latter with meals of course. When I first read that interview, I was like what a great way to be, and it hasn't done him any harm. He died about two months later.

Frank Sinatra, allegedly did a bottle of Jack Daniels everyday and he was certainly buried with a bottle.

Would like to give a final verdict on that JW Blonde: dreadful stuff. Give it a wide berth. If all else fails, you'll just have to break out the JW Red and hope for the best.

Kingstonian

Powers John’s Lane 12 year old is my favourite Irish pot still.

Powers Gold Label my favourite Irish blend.

Pimpernel Smith

Powers John’s Lane 12 year old is my favourite Irish pot still.

Powers Gold Label my favourite Irish blend.
Was going to get the Jameson's Black Barrel, but stuck with their IPA cask finish, which is pretty decent with soda water as an aperitif.

Was also going to get the Glenlivit Caribbean Reserve, but the reviews say it's got nothing on the Balvenie 14 year old Cuban Cask finish. It shouldn't as it's much cheaper. Instead got the Glenlivit Captain's Reserve, finished in Cognac casks, very rich and good after dinner drink as a replacement for said Cognac.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I recently cut back to one drink a night …. 9.5% alcohol:

3E93141C-7451-4DD3-AD0C-1514F7DBAEA4.jpeg

Fwiffo

Supporter
very glad for your sterling contributions to the discourse on the forum.
It was in response to the whisky man who didn't want to risk losing his sense of taste and smell because of coronavirus. It's not like his own profession is not without its own risks.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
It was in response to the whisky man who didn't want to risk losing his sense of taste and smell because of coronavirus. It's not like his own profession is not without its own risks.
Like other professions, he probably doesn’t swallow.

Pimpernel Smith

Apparently, if you keep washing your nose out with saline solution it will keep the virus from rendering your sense of smell null and void.

Got some Bushmills in last week, The Original, The Red Bush and American cask and Rum cask finish. All reasonably priced at the €20.00 mark or less in the case of The Original. Didn't rate The Red Bush at all, very dark and treacly. Haven't tried the Rum finish yet, but the American cask one is good with a drop of water in it. The Original is consistently light, a bit too easy drinking neat or with ice, but fine as a mixer with soda or coke.

For after dinner stocked-up with Torres 30 years Jaime I and the Asbach 21 year old. Both superb at €80 mark each and if you want Cognac of that quality, you'll be paying €130-155 zone.

Top Bottom