It's always five o'clock somewhere

Christopher Hitchens on "Mr. Walker's Amber Restorative":

He liked a good drink did Christopher. Lunch time was a good slug of whisky with soda water, then never less than half a bottle of wine and then the same at dinner. Depending on how good the day had been, he might finish with a night cap.

It is very good, the JWB. Just opened a new bottle this week.
“Breakfast of champions. Accept no substitute.”

And Hitch was right to prefer it above all others. Being “the national drink of the Arabs,” it was conspicuous in his old haunts and is most certainly the best value for everyday drinking (the local grocery store had a deal recently: 3x750 ml=$60!).

Last edited:
“Breakfast of champions. Accept no substitute.”

And Hitch was right to prefer it above all others. Being “the national drink of the Arabs,” it was conspicuous in his old haunts and is most certainly the best value for everyday drinking (the local grocery store had a deal recently: 3x750 ml=$60!).

His official position was be wary of moving up to expensive single malts as you may have problems getting access to them on your exotic travels to third world shit holes. Whereas JW you can get anywhere including in Islamic Republics, both Shia and Sunni.

Now I've had a chance to imbibe some more drams of the JW Island Green, not greatly impressed, it gets rather rich and showing more of its peaty sickly qualities after awhile. You might like it if your a Laphroaig fan, but why go for an imitation blend when you can have the real thing?

Five glasses of white and six Johnnie Walker Black singles...so about 6oz (2 doubles).

I don't know if this lingering cold is damaging my vocal cords or the alcohol. I stopped smoking for more than a week in the hopes of recovering.

The 83 year old ex insurance broker sitting in front of me in the alumni dinner was saying he was a real boozer. He and his mate would go on a bus tour in France and down three bottles of wine each. He was trying to calculate how many ounces and glasses of wine one bottle is and saying how it isn't a whole lot if you think about it to which I replied, "For an insurance man? One bottle of wine is nothing."

This beauty:

xglenfiddich_18_year_old.jpg.pagespeed.ic.c0cjt3CGud.jpg

Was never a fan of the Glenfiddich 18 year old, I always considered it a bit boring on the palate compared to the more cost effective 15 year old and the slightly (then) more expensive 21 year old Cuban finish. Well this small batch reserve edition is a masterpiece. As good as the old 21 year old a lovely complex explosion of vanilla, leather and honey. This will be my wee dram over Christmas.

500ml of sake. 1 bottle of white wine (some Canadian Riesling, Tawse). And 1/4 of a bottle of Johnnie Black. It's only 2135.

Is that apertif or digestif?

Not quite sure when you're supposed to use things like that. Akin to the Christmas neck tie.

The night is young and full of rest, I can't describe the way she's dressed....

I have to pick up my brother-in-law tomorrow, as he was stuck with some planning issues and couldn't leave his ship yesterday. So that's my Christmas day messed-up.

Is that apertif or digestif?

Not quite sure when you're supposed to use things like that. Akin to the Christmas neck tie.

Exactly. It will get egg nog tomorrow.

A Johnny Drum, a Balvenie 17 for whisky so far, into bottle of Billecart now.

Just discovered this small vineyard organic wine place and bought a few sample bottles from Germany, France and Italy covering Merlot, Pinot Noir, Rose and champagne:

http://www.vinovero.nl/

The risk of course with farmyard wine is that it's utterly foul and vinegary, or lacking in any substance.

Half a bottle of Chivas 12 at the party plus two glasses of wine.

Had about two or three fingers of Johnnie Black before I went to the party.

Half a bottle of Chivas 12 at the party plus two glasses of wine.

Had about two or three fingers of Johnnie Black before I went to the party.

Splendid. Did anyone else follow the point man, or where you just on your own cutting a swathe through the party chambers?

Splendid. Did anyone else follow the point man, or where you just on your own cutting a swathe through the party chambers?

Truth be told I checked on the bottle at the end of the party and it was slightly below half. When I last poured it was about half and I was sure I was drinking it exclusively. The host, my mate, decided to hide it at the back of all the beer and the two 4L cartons of wine.

I finished that bottle of Johnnie Black. Now I only have the Johnnie Gold, but I might venture out to get something else. Feels bad sinking a gold bottle without any occasion.

Unmistakably Bruichladdich taste. No peat, then I read the bottle said unpeated so 100 percent smooth with a hint of sherry or some kind of wine sweetness.

1992 is vintage? Damn. I feel like that gent imbibing in vintage Lafite and he was actually a drinker at that time.

IMG_20180104_1938397.jpg

Half a bottle of Eagle Rare depleted by me at this bar. Bartender took the heel of the bottle for himself. He told me last week he was going dry for months and I broke it in a week and a bit. Bad influences.

Yesterday I got up at 5am to get ready for a 730 breakfast with my lady friend. Then I skipped lunch and left work at 1800. I thought I'd drop by the club on the way home. As I sit there waiting for service, some other female friend asked me out on my mobile, and I went to the east end for dinner at the bar. One old fashioned and five cavas later, dinner is finished. I take an Uber back to the club just before 2200 and spend the next 4 hours there listening to the 22 year old cook rhapsodize about her future - probably did another 4 or 5 double Johnnie Walker black. Now I will need to pick something else to drink as I depleted the Eagle Rare and the Johnnie black at the club. We left the club at 2am but I just didn't have the energy to join the bartender and cook for another round. I crawled into bed at 3am and woke up completely knackered.

Did you sleep in?

As I got home at 330 and passed out at 4 - yes. Got up at 830 to send a few messages on my mobile and start laundry then passed out again till noon.

Now that you ask I have my physician cousin's gentle reminder about my lifestyle in the back of my mind.

I bought a bottle of JW Red to make some hot toddies and combined with liquid multi-vitamins I managed to shake of this flu in less than 36 hours. Quite remarkable everyone else had been laid low for 4-5 days. I really must get more of the JW Red and soda water of course. Wouldn't drink it neat.

I bought a bottle of JW Red to make some hot toddies and combined with liquid multi-vitamins I managed to shake of this flu in less than 36 hours. Quite remarkable everyone else had been laid low for 4-5 days. I really must get more of the JW Red and soda water of course. Wouldn't drink it neat.

Churchill's tonic of choice.

1 Taj Mahal cocktail. 5 Jersey pour Johnnie Black. 3x6oz of pinot grigio.

Wow I haven’t seen someone order a taj in a LONG time. What did they make it with?

I went to Witherspoons Grill in Princeton. Can't find it on their drinks or dessert menu. It was there in the paper menu. I ditched the whipped cream and it was very cardamom tasting. Sort of like an Irish coffee.

I picked it because I was going with an Indian woman. I thought it was apropos but she took one sip and said it was too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom