Kirby Allison appreciation thread

Kingstonian

I like Kirby 8 secrets of a well dressed man.

It has a great start. Number 1 Hygeine ( spelt as hygene)

It then gets going and we are onto stains. This goes on for a considerable length and you start to wonder who he sees as his potential audience.

The video is not as good as the YouTube award opening one with black tie, fine whisky and pizza delivery but it’s still a great effort.

It then gets going and we are onto stains. This goes on for a considerable length and you start to wonder who he sees as his potential audience.

The video is not as good as the YouTube award opening one with black tie, fine whisky and pizza delivery but it’s still a great effort.
That video was taken at a time when Kirby's office still looked respectable. Now it looks like a tip, and every tom dick and harry are seen in there. Kirby used to shine his shoes on a leather mat, now he just shines them on the desk.

Actually, Kirby has located his office elsewhere in the building because he knows his original office had become overrun and dirtied up by common folks.

Kirby needs an office like this:
Trading places 1.jpg
Trading places 3.jpg
Chesterfield office chair 3.jpg

I used to have a HUGE office chair once. It was even bigger than Trump's. It was a pain in the neck because it was so big, but it made me look like king of the world (great image).

Donald Trump's chair:

Last edited:

You meant ‘hygiene’ right?

“Judge not, lest ye be judged”;)

The thing l like about Kirby is that he wants his leather chesterfields stuffed with horse hair. 😍

We've been through this before. Allison strikes me as being painfully provincial. He needs a coach to help him take the rough edges off his accent, and teach him to pronounce all those Saphir names properly. The first rule of business should be: Don't sell anything you can't pronounce.

As for the rest, it's the standard affluent American's fantasy of "England" and Europe. I meet quite a few of them. One bloke actually stopped me in the street the other day. "Excuse me! Excuse me!" he said. Naturally I stopped and turned and asked if I could help. "Yeah, you can heko me dress as good as you."

Which was nice, if rather theatrical.

God bless America and their wide-eyed innocence. Not bad people, just different.

wow, you guys take this seriously. I can't watch his videos until he talks about the shoe care accessories. it is too painful ...

We've been through this before. Allison strikes me as being painfully provincial. He needs a coach to help him take the rough edges off his accent, and teach him to pronounce all those Saphir names properly. The first rule of business should be: Don't sell anything you can't pronounce.

In fairness I do like Kirby despite the wayward proof-reading. His enthusiasm seems genuine. He alo strikes the sort of reassuring note that makes it seem like any bozo can be the best dressed gentleman in the room, if only they start trimming their nasal hair properly.

In fairness I do like Kirby despite the wayward proof-reading. His enthusiasm seems genuine. He alo strikes the sort of reassuring note that makes it seem like any bozo can be the best dressed gentleman in the room, if only they start trimming their nasal hair properly.

Allison wouldn't entertain me in the wood-shed, so I have no debt of affection.

Kirby is just doing his own thing and having fun along the way. Good on him. If people don't like it, tough! He seems a decent character.

Soon his video of Big John Lobb will be coming out. It think it will be a beauty. I hope the young bloke delivers, many of us are counting on him doing a good job with that one.

Kirby even described himself as a slightly eccentric character, and HE IS! He is an unusual man. We need more characters in this world.

His best two videos:

Bespoke Shoe Making Process: Measurements | Dominic Casey | Hanger Project

100K Subscribers Celebration Party (good conversation)

He also had a really good shoe shine video which run over 2 hours. Good conversation.

I don't need a 2 hour video on how to shine shoes. I put them on my feet and clean them occasionally.

Hi Kirby, I tried getting drunk to get that really elevated shine, but I could only get as far as half a bottle of blended malt. Do you have any tips for drinking a whole bottle, possibly of single malt, and a bottle of champagne too? And should I wear my dinner suit?

That video was taken at a time when Kirby's office still looked respectable. Now it looks like a tip, and every tom dick and harry are seen in there. Kirby used to shine his shoes on a leather mat, now he just shines them on the desk.

Actually, Kirby has located his office elsewhere in the building because he knows his original office had become overrun and dirtied up by common folks.

Kirby needs an office like this:
View attachment 32954View attachment 32955View attachment 32956

I used to have a HUGE office chair once. It was even bigger than Trump's. It was a pain in the neck because it was so big, but it made me look like king of the world (great image).

Donald Trump's chair:

Your office should be a dark weighty affair with rich antique hues coming from polished tropical woods and Chesterfield Queen Anne style chairs and the whiff of cigars over some daring-do mission report. Sadly, that ain't gonna' happen and we're all stuck in modernist near paperless offices. Some organisations you even have to change desks daily, so no toys or photos of the kids on your desk matey.

Your office should be a dark weighty affair with rich antique hues coming from polished tropical woods and Chesterfield Queen Anne style chairs

If my office was like that I'd be peacefully asleep in seconds, which is perhaps why it's a good thing I have a standard-issue desk, a creaky swivel chair and carpet tiles that appear to have been woven from pubic hair.

I use a few houseplants to give the desk a bit of mid-century sprezz.

I thought we got Peak Kirby when he was drifting wide-eyed around Savile Row talking to Joseph Morgan, Alex Cooke et al.

I thought we got Peak Kirby when he was drifting wide-eyed around Savile Row talking to Joseph Morgan, Alex Cooke et al.

Join me as I venture on a journey into the world of quality, craftsmanship, and tradition.

Kirbers is the model tourist. Spends a lot, leaves a tip, and enjoys the traditional London pub fare of pie and a pint, while the rest of us have mineral water and sushi from Pret.

Kirbers is the model tourist. Spends a lot, leaves a tip, and enjoys the traditional London pub fare of pie and a pint, while the rest of us have mineral water and sushi from Pret.
Well by this metric I am too. One of the most unfortunate Americanizations has to be the acceptance of shit food chains like Pret.

Hi Kirby, I tried getting drunk to get that really elevated shine, but I could only get as far as half a bottle of blended malt. Do you have any tips for drinking a whole bottle, possibly of single malt, and a bottle of champagne too? And should I wear my dinner suit?

Tony Montana can give you a master lesson ( as always)

Join me as I venture on a journey into the world of quality, craftsmanship, and tradition.

Sushi from Pret. Wow.

I don't need a 2 hour video on how to shine shoes. I put them on my feet and clean them occasionally.

Kirby and the shoe shine experts give bad advice

Actually, Kirby and his shoe shine experts give very bad advice that no-one should be following. Why? Because they promote using the Saphir clear mirror shine, but that should hardly ever be used. The original clear mirror shine wax is the colour of conventional candle wax, but l thought I would give it a try based on these `so called' shoe shine experts despite me having hesitation and thinking it might be a bad idea. I spent hours doing my shoe shine last night with this Saphir `mirror shine' on my brand new STUNNING John Lobb purple oxfords. Well...this morning l examined them in the daytime and l almost had a fit when l saw them. They looked exactly how l feared they were going to look. They had that candle white tint to them and lacked the depth of colour. Just hideous.

I compared them to my other Lobbs done in pigmented blue wax and the results are like night and day. The purple pair done with the mirror gloss are extremely shiny, but lacked depth of colour and had the white tint (a horrible look) where-as my blue Lobbs have a stunning pigmented blue colour and have a stunning depth to them, however they are slightly less shiny because l didn't use the mirror gloss on them thankfully. None-the-less, the blue Lobbs look so much better.

Using clear wax on coloured shoes is a really bad idea and no-one should do it. It is such a bad idea that Saphir has now introduced a black and dark brown mirror shine wax because they obviously know that shining dress shoes with a clear mirror shine is a big no no. Kirby and the `so called' shoe polishing experts are all giving really bad advice here. Frankly, l am not impressed with any of their shoo shines.

Your office should be a dark weighty affair with rich antique hues coming from polished tropical woods and Chesterfield Queen Anne style chairs and the whiff of cigars over some daring-do mission report. Sadly, that ain't gonna' happen and we're all stuck in modernist near paperless offices. Some organisations you even have to change desks daily, so no toys or photos of the kids on your desk matey.

Some people still have offices like that, and they have an open fire high up in skyscrapers. Namely, big time legal people in Melbourne. I haven't seen the offices in person, but l have been told by people who have visited such offices. No kidding, they have real windows that open and shut, and they have a servant who cuts the wood and keeps the fire burning all day 50 floors above the ground. I suspect these old school guys wouldn't use computers either, they would have their staff do all that low level stuff out of site while the big timers legal office remains as old school as it gets. None of the really important folks would need to be using computers. I bet you Trump and the Queen doesn't use one either. Computers are for common folk.

If l had my way l would have an old school office with an open fire place being looked after by a servant and would avoid computers, but that is difficult to do when one is not at that level. :ragecry:

If l had my way l would have an old school office with an open fire place being looked after by a servant and would avoid computers, but that is difficult to do when one is not at that level. :ragecry:

Interesting topic. If I had my way, I would have an old school office too, something in the Spy Who Came In From The Cold Line. You know, a few manila files marked TOP SECRET, a middle-aged and discrete secretary, a stand for my hat and coat, no open fire, a couple of pens, and thick horn-rimmed glasses. Then I'd press the intercom button and say "Miss Blennerhassett, show Mr Allison in".

"Have a seat, Mr Allison. Right then. Why do you wish to join the Carlton Club?"

Kirby and the shoe shine experts give bad advice

Actually, Kirby and his shoe shine experts give very bad advice that no-one should be following. Why? Because they promote using the Saphir clear mirror shine, but that should hardly ever be used.

Yes and yes. I tried it. Now I only use it remove my old wax, or on very very very light-colour shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom