Labor News, Union News, Workplace Stories, & How The Working Man Continually Gets Fucked Over

Fwiffo

Supporter
Depends on the business. Global businesses: organisations operating through several time zones, make 9-5 redundant and people need to be available outside of those hours and the luxury of a 4 day week.

If I send an email to China or Singapore, regularly I will get responses at 9pm or 10pm their time.

Many people are working more hours, not less. The difference being the work is less arduous and physically taxing than in the past.

Try making a call between west coast USA. India. Europe CET. And east coast USA.

Thailand was nearly impossible for me to find agreeable times from east coast.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter

Pimpernel Smith

You keep on telling us how bad the American working man has it and then you post an article telling us that after a mere 2 year apprenticeship the worker earns $100,000 a year and that's less than in the oil & gas industry. That's a better deal than a newly trained craftsperson gets in Europe. Even with your inflated private health care schemes.

Rambo

Supporter
You keep on telling us how bad the American working man has it and then you post an article telling us that after a mere 2 year apprenticeship the worker earns $100,000 a year and that's less than in the oil & gas industry.
as usual you completely miss the forest for the trees. this is a specific program that's available to a very specific sector of worker. also its "most", not all, and further not all local offices offer these apprenticeships. even if they do there is a lengthy application and waiting list in most locales. its not something a person can walk off the street and get.

most importantly, this is offered through a union, which an overwhelming majority of workplaces and skilled labors do not even have access to.

lastly, the point of the article and the bill being proposed within, was to create more of these opportunities so that when we transition away from the oil and gas industry, similarly high paid jobs will be available.

Pimpernel Smith

as usual you completely miss the forest for the trees. this is a specific program that's available to a very specific sector of worker. also its "most", not all, and further not all local offices offer these apprenticeships. even if they do there is a lengthy application and waiting list in most locales. its not something a person can walk off the street and get.

most importantly, this is offered through a union, which an overwhelming majority of workplaces and skilled labors do not even have access to.

lastly, the point of the article and the bill being proposed within, was to create more of these opportunities so that when we transition away from the oil and gas industry, similarly high paid jobs will be available.
I don't miss the point, it was grandstanding waffle about high paid jobs they don't have the ability to deliver on, but would like to.

Rambo

Supporter
I don't miss the point, it was grandstanding waffle about high paid jobs they don't have the ability to deliver on, but would like to.
How is that grandstanding? The whole point of the article was about preparing for future green jobs!

Fwiffo

Supporter

The results show.

There is a pay wall but let me quote something pertinent:

”If we recruited 10 individuals into our management and training program and we had five of those individuals working remotely or at home, who would ultimately become the future CEO?”

...who indeed.

Pimpernel Smith

The results show.

There is a pay wall but let me quote something pertinent:

”If we recruited 10 individuals into our management and training program and we had five of those individuals working remotely or at home, who would ultimately become the future CEO?”

...who indeed.
I'm bringing my mob back for 50% of the time as of next week. I'm satified they're tossing it off at home.

One of my wife's friend's started to monitor with some software the working time of the staff working from home and they're working on average 2.5hrs a day. So they brought them back with extreme urgency.

Fwiffo

Supporter

"'Particularly in the beginning of Covid, people started spending a lot more time at home and that gave them a lot more downtime,' he says. 'When you’re in the office and it’s hectic, you don’t have as much space and time to think. It’s hard to zoom out and think about the next month, year or five years of your life. Being at home kind of forces that on you, for better or worse. It made people start to question: how can I live a life or have a career that’s in line with what I’m actually interested in?'"

No. We spent more time at work because there wasn't an end and in most cases still isn't if you're stuck in quarantine or lockdown.

belinmad

"'Particularly in the beginning of Covid, people started spending a lot more time at home and that gave them a lot more downtime,' he says. 'When you’re in the office and it’s hectic, you don’t have as much space and time to think. It’s hard to zoom out and think about the next month, year or five years of your life. Being at home kind of forces that on you, for better or worse. It made people start to question: how can I live a life or have a career that’s in line with what I’m actually interested in?'"

I can relate to this. I decided I needed a career change in Summer of last year, in between lockdowns, but wfh. It took me a year to get all the ducks in a row, but a couple of weeks ago I quit my job and I’m looking forward to joining a new gig in a couple of months. I wouldn’t have had the mental bandwidth to force the change if we didn’t have COVID. Silver linings, I guess?

Rambo

Supporter
Nike is giving employees a week off for a “mental health break”. In all the fawning press coverage I haven’t seen a single reporter even wonder why they would need to do this if Nike was such a great place to work.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Nike is giving employees a week off for a “mental health break”. In all the fawning press coverage I haven’t seen a single reporter even wonder why they would need to do this if Nike was such a great place to work.

Ive heard of a few employers offering additional‘Covid stress’ days off. I’m assuming that people who work from home take fewer sick days, so the company isn’t really giving up much.

Rambo

Supporter
Ive heard of a few employers offering additional‘Covid stress’ days off. I’m assuming that people who work from home take fewer sick days, so the company isn’t really giving up much.
a week straight? something about this seems fishy.

güero

That is possible because most of them don't actually do anything, as linked somewhere in this article you posted:
Instead of the “targeted program management support” promised in the contract, consultants often performed rudimentary services, such as taking notes during calls between states and the CDC, and then organizing that information in PowerPoint slides for presentations, agency officials said.
A primary function there is pollination, like a farmer hiring beehives. This is certainly something that is lacking in most large organizations. It becomes a problem when the large organization is doing stupid stuff.

Rambo

Supporter
On the same note, electrical companies and other essentials could also skip out. Some people and organisations have a sense of duty.
come on you can come up with something more clever than this for your usual sarcasam.

Rambo

Supporter
That won't help the story for your labourers. Those people delivered food because of demand. If consumers looked out their window and made the sensible choice not to put their fellow man at risk for butter chicken takeaway then they wouldn't need to deliver during a storm.
well what do you do when your job depends on you risking your life???

its not like the companies could, you know, maybe stop doing this shit in the middle of a natural disaster.

Pimpernel Smith

its not like the companies could, you know, maybe stop doing this shit in the middle of a natural disaster.
Even in engineering construction, off-shore work and the likes, the most dangerous activity is driving to and from work.

Fwiffo

Supporter

Why is the well being of people the responsibility of a corporation? A corporation has a tax number like you and me. It's only interest is making money to keep itself alive.

If that happens to require people to operate the corporation it will give them the least amount of money it can to squeeze out profits. If that happens to require people to be alive to consume what it is selling then it will do something socially responsible so as not to kill the hen that keeps laying eggs.

But a corporation is never responsible for or loyal to people. It looks after itself.

Government on the other hand...

Pimpernel Smith

Why is the well being of people the responsibility of a corporation? A corporation has a tax number like you and me. It's only interest is making money to keep itself alive.

If that happens to require people to operate the corporation it will give them the least amount of money it can to squeeze out profits. If that happens to require people to be alive to consume what it is selling then it will do something socially responsible so as not to kill the hen that keeps laying eggs.

But a corporation is never responsible for or loyal to people. It looks after itself.

Government on the other hand...
They have shareholders, investors, those that work for them and those in the wider community.

An ethical corporation by all measures has an absolute interest to execute operations safely and without incident.

Fwiffo

Supporter
They have shareholders, investors, those that work for them and those in the wider community.

An ethical corporation by all measures has an absolute interest to execute operations safely and without incident.

Shareholders and investors put capital forward for what? ROI. They want the corporation to make money. How it does it they don't really care unless the corporation does it in a way the shareholders and investors end up on the front page of some liberal paper or website saying they are funding the second coming of ISIS or Epstein.

Pimpernel Smith

Shareholders and investors put capital forward for what? ROI. They want the corporation to make money. How it does it they don't really care unless the corporation does it in a way the shareholders and investors end up on the front page of some liberal paper or website saying they are funding the second coming of ISIS or Epstein.
It matters if you've got a bad safety record and increasingly will be the demonstration of climate mitigation strategies and certification, which is on the way in. Why do you think Goldman Sachs bought LRQA?

It's a game, I get it, but there's no corporation that's going to blatantly, at face and certification level not show their ethical credentials.

Rambo

Supporter
for fucks sake fwiffers you work in insurance. you don't think it would be in the best interest of the corporation to provide a safe and effective working environment for their employees?

but that's the rub of it all isn't it? these people aren't actually employees, they're "independent contractors", which allows the parent corporation to skirt and and all liability. which is exactly why they want to keep it that way.

Top Bottom