Leather Jacket Thread

Darkside

A good quality leather jacket is something I have always wanted, but I don't know enough about. Something of a grail item, if you will. I think a leather jacket is an item that can be dressed up or down, and is perfect for straddling the line between Streetwear and Classic Menswear. If anyone has any brand recommendations, or has thoughts about how to incorporate them into everyday outfits, please speak up.

Here is some inspiration:
700ccf1a02a73b2e32fa632e9a085e16.jpg
3bcc1b045378ec9fb9b24c01a2d770cb.jpg

steve-mcqueen-jacket.jpg

072f3deea04acdee75e80dbd55385c55.jpg

marlon-brando-the-wild-one-leather-jacket.jpg

I have a distaste for leather myself, particularly in black. I have an ancient steerhide Schott Perfecto from when I had a 70s bike. I'd say the simpler the better. Exceptions can be made on designs old enough for a pension, but less bric-a-brac is more.

No, I actually like leather jackets. Doesn't pleather mean "pleasant-leather?"

“Only six things can be made of black leather without causing class damage to the owner: belts, shoes, handbags, gloves, camera cases, and dog leashes” -Paul Fussell

It doesn't have to be black. Steve McQueen is wearing a bomber style one in brown above.

Also, I'm not cultured enough to know who Paul Fussell is.

A good quality leather jacket is something I have always wanted, but I don't know enough about. Something of a grail item, if you will. I think a leather jacket is an item that can be dressed up or down, and is perfect for straddling the line between Streetwear and Classic Menswear. If anyone has any brand recommendations, or has thoughts about how to incorporate them into everyday outfits, please speak up.

a) If your last name is on this short list, I need you to email so we can either send/handle your order - in possession of items have been either unaddressable recently or dug back out from the storage again, needing sendable addresses, or clarification. Most of these are TOJ0.

Wade
Ling
Gnolla
Holten
Le (Tran?)
Wood
Newall
Schupanitz

b) I have a navy/black TOJ0 around size 48-50 (longish) and a black/black 44 with shortened everything - both are nameless and came to me while Dan was gone to America, so they’ve been languishing without names for a long time. I think they are remakes because of the lack of names on their cards, so if anyone can claim them it’d be helpful in whittling this down.

c) Next batch of jackets to come out are from the BCDR/2013 DR maker, expected to ship by this Friday or before. There are quite a few in this one.
-I currently have (leftover from last week’s two shipping days)
- a few more A-2’s/CWU’s, a few more wallets (wallets are being made a few at a time and being sent down the list in order, the large ones are close to shipping, the small ones mostly sent already, with a few left)
- shipping tomorrow or the next day, along with some dead letter office items I can put back in the mail with new addresses.
-Backpacks are done and sent. If you did NOT receive a daypack that you were expecting to, I need you to email ASAP and clarify within your original email thread. To my knowledge I sent every daypack and want to double check.
-Next next batches of jackets will be wool MA-1/TOJ0, MDR/Moto, and BCDR/DR2013 again more or less together, next week. Then A2/CWU in the next cycle.

IF YOU HAVE NOT UPDATED YOUR ADDRESS SINCE DECEMBER 9TH, I NEED YOU TO SEND ME AN EMAIL:

a) Your Name
b) Paypal name used (if different from your actual name)
c) Items still outstanding/date items ordered d) Description of items if customized
d) (important) - was this spot bought from another person?

If you have already sent an address update email but want to further clarify (possible times you are away from home, vacation periods, etc) - please feel free to do so.

ps. I have a bunch of discarded jackets leftover from remakes, a half dozen extra daypacks, and some miscellaneous stuff that is made but in the storage for whatever reason, most are all currents and full leather jackets - therefore I will need to get rid of them at some point as samples but will do so later after I’ve moved more of the order jackets and clarified statuses.

pps. no need for anyone to become a crazy online ex-bf, I don’t have a cocaine habit, I don’t own a beautiful home, and clarified butter is not olive oil. Thanks.

Darkside Darkside , a bit more information on how/where you plan to wear your leather jacket. There are so many options and pricepoints that you need to start specifying a bit more. Contemporary, repro of military jackets (WW I, the between war years, WW II, etc.). How much are you willing to spend? A few hundred or a few thousand?

Pleather is easy and cheap to find. But it is neither pleasing nor leather.

Thruth Thruth I wasn't really talking about pleather (plastic PVC leather).

I don't own a motorcycle and don't want to look like I might. I just want a nice alternative to throw on as a fall jacket. Maybe with jeans or chinos. I dress what would be considered casually here way more often than "CM." Examples I like include, though probably closer to the Schott price than the Aero.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=2213
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/mens-vintaged-steerhide-black-leather.htm?catID=5
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/cowhide-casual-racer-leather-jacket.htm?color=2&catID=5

A leather jacket is an item I'm willing to wait and save up for. I kind of just wanted suggestions and see if anyone else here was a fan of them.

Used to wear leather but not anymore.

If you are thinking of saving up for the cafe racer style or other styles in addition to Aero and Schott you can look at Lost Worlds. They do as nice a job as anyone and use thick horsehide. There are many posts around the Fedora Lounge on the jackets but also how the owner Stuart is a jerk. Never found him to be that way with me. Worth a look. Joe McCoy Buco jackets are solid, well made, exacting details. There is Vanson, Goodwear. Roland Sand makes a more lightweight one that is
Well regarded. Lewis Leathers in the UK. Check out Thurston Brothers.

Awesome info! Yeah I'm looking at Cafe Racers or maybe Bombers. What styles did you wear?

Awesome info! Yeah I'm looking at Cafe Racers or maybe Bombers. What styles did you wear?

Had a Lost World's Rigger like this one:
image.jpg

Had a Schott peacoat
image.jpg

...and 20 years ago I had a Chicago Police surplus jacket
image.jpg

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate Thanks for the link! This is exactly the type of discussion I was looking for. Hopefully future inquirers will stumble upon here as well.

I find this one from Eastman quite beautiful, albeit a bit light to be versatile.
A-1small.jpg

Thruth Thruth , I would buy that Lost World off you. That's exactly what I was thinking of. Why, may I ask, did you stray from leather jackets?

I also find this look to be agreeable. The gentleman wearing it, and his hairstyle not so much.
P2550_1019.jpg

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate Thanks for the link! This is exactly the type of discussion I was looking for. Hopefully future inquirers will stumble upon here as well.

I find this one from Eastman quite beautiful, albeit a bit light to be versatile.
A-1small.jpg

Thruth Thruth , I would buy that Lost World off you. That's exactly what I was thinking of. Why, may I ask, did you stray from leather jackets?

Dropped 30 pounds so I got rid of them and never got back into them. Every now and then I get a hankering for a Kriegsmarine reefer coat but it passes
image.jpg

I've got a thick, brown suede leather bomber jacket with a quilted lining that I keep at my parents-in-law's house in Tokyo and wear whenever we're there in winter. I used to bring it back to Australia every year but it was too warm for winter here and I never wore it, so my wife banned me from taking it back and forth.

Leather jackets can be great. I think that they're very versatile, particularly with more casual outfits. You can wear them with jeans, wear them with chino pants, even wear them with flannel trousers. I'm a particular fan of the classic, A-2 style jacket in russet brown but the older, A-1-style jacket is also good.

I was tempted to get a B-3-style jacket, with the sheepskin collar, some years back as they were very popular in Japan and you could pick up good quality ones quite cheaply during the January sales, but I decided that I'd look like a try-hard with Walter Mitty delusions.

Eastman, Real McCoy, Lost Worlds, Aero all seems to be good and make decent jackets at various price levels.

^See, this is why it's hard to pull off the black leather jacket look effectively.

Speaking of that:

maxresdefault.jpg

^See, this is why it's hard to pull off the black leather jacket look effectively.

Speaking of that:

maxresdefault.jpg

The Chicago cop jacket was navy. But in a dark club all hopped up on coke I'm sure it looked black to the patrons.

In retrospect, I should have ditched the hat

I like both those examples, though I don't own or particularly crave a leather jacket.

I saw a classic Brando bikie jacket recently in a lovely mahogany colour. If I owned a motorcycle I might've been tempted.

Leather Jacket aficionados: Do you guys prefer Bomber style or Cafe Racers, and why

594_BRN_STILL_FRT_Img1891web.jpg

654brnfrt2.jpg
I like them both but whether one works for you over another is really dependent on your body type. Fat guys really can't pull off cafe racers well. I've seen it work a few times but its definitely rarer.

I'd add that skinny/slim guys usually can't pull-off bomber jackets - most seem to be cut very full for movement.

I think the A1 or A2 bomber would be a great alternative to my navy Barbour Ashby as a go-to fall jacket. I always think the bomber looks more classic than the cafe racer in my mind.

41596371bk_2.jpg

How do you guys feel about a nubuck bomber? Nubuck is supposed to be harder wearing than suede. This thing looks pretty beas.t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom