Leather Jacket Thread

Pre-splotched and kind of a "meh" back shape, no?
image.jpeg

Didn't notice. Might be a lower level of affiliate. Yup, The Hanger Project is a Premium Insider sponsor, Bespoke England is a Featured Insider. That gets you featured on the homepage
looks like insider has replaced affiliate. wonder if that's a bit of legalese on the lawyers part.

image.jpeg

The solid piece of leather on the back of the L1 is nice, as are the high armholes, but I like the Highwayman's waist and side tabs.

image.jpeg

41596426ac_14_f.jpg

Waiting for this pebble grain mid brown Valstarino to come in in the mail. Not bad for about ~$250. I have been looking for a staple leather bomber for a while, and could not resist trying it at this price. The only nitpick I have is that I wish it was buttoned instead of zippered, but I think the zipper may grow on me.

41596426ac_14_f.jpg

Waiting for this pebble grain mid brown Valstarino to come in in the mail. Not bad for about ~$250. I have been looking for a staple leather bomber for a while, and could not resist trying it at this price. The only nitpick I have is that I wish it was buttoned instead of zippered, but I think the zipper may grow on me.
Looking forward to the pics.

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate Thruth Thruth C CM78 Dropbear Dropbear

What do you guys think of the fit? I went TTS for this and I feel like it is on the bigger end of a 42. The length felt a little long and the pockets made the midsection a bit puffy. I do think, however, the silhouette will improve once the leather breaks in and settles down, but it may also stretch a bit.

I have a size 40 coming in in a very similar model to try on as well. Will keep you guys posted.

honestly although i don't like tight fits in general I like these jackets to be a bit slimmer and shorter.

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate Thruth Thruth C CM78 Dropbear Dropbear

What do you guys think of the fit? I went TTS for this and I feel like it is on the bigger end of a 42. The length felt a little long and the pockets made the midsection a bit puffy. I do think, however, the silhouette will improve once the leather breaks in and settles down, but it may also stretch a bit.

I have a size 40 coming in in a very similar model to try on as well. Will keep you guys posted.

The war time versions were close fitting. Maybe the 40 will be what you are looking for fit wise

honestly although i don't like tight fits in general I like these jackets to be a bit slimmer and shorter.

Agree wholeheartedly.

The war time versions were close fitting. Maybe the 40 will be what you are looking for fit wise

This is attempt #2 with the size 40, in a different leather and with button-close, which I like way better. I think the fit is spot on. The sleeves could be .5" longer or so, but I think they will settle in and stretch anyway. I just have to decide if this butterscotch/toffee/caramel leather is right for me. It feels way more supple than most leathers I've handled before.

DSC01519.JPG

DSC01514.JPG
DSC01513.JPG
DSC01520.JPG

Agree wholeheartedly.

This is attempt #2 with the size 40, in a different leather and with button-close, which I like way better. I think the fit is spot on. The sleeves could be .5" longer or so, but I think they will settle in and stretch anyway. I just have to decide if this butterscotch/toffee/caramel leather is right for me. It feels way more supple than most leathers I've handled before.

View attachment 15329
View attachment 15332View attachment 15330 View attachment 15331

I think this is a lot better given the style of the jacket

Agree wholeheartedly.

View attachment 15329
View attachment 15332View attachment 15330 View attachment 15331
Definitely an improvement. Color and sleeves look much much better. Not 100% sure about the bomber style on you though. What do you think?

I've been thinking of dusting off my leather jacket and wearing it again. Too old for my leather pants unfortunately. Still got my leather trench coat hanging up too.

What don't you like about the bomber style? I don't see anything particularly egregious about the fit on my body type.
C CM78 LKP LKP Journeyman Dropbear Dropbear
Absolutely nothing egregious at all about the way it looks. I think it looks good. I'm just not 100% sold on that style of jacket on you. Maybe you'd look better in a racer. Or a bomber. That's why I wanted to know how you felt about it.

Can we get a picture with it and a non-dress shirt?

I've been thinking of dusting off my leather jacket and wearing it again. Too old for my leather pants unfortunately. Still got my leather trench coat hanging up too.
I think the world wants a picture of you in your leather pants shooey.

Absolutely nothing egregious at all about the way it looks. I think it looks good. I'm just not 100% sold on that style of jacket on you. Maybe you'd look better in a racer. Or a bomber. That's why I wanted to know how you felt about it.

Can we get a picture with it and a non-dress shirt?

Slept on it and decided that it's going back. I love the fit and the quality is excellent, but I am just not in love with the style of the leather. The leather is very supple, but also thin and potentially delicate. If it were more rugged, I would likely be keeping it. And LKP reminded me that suede is my one true love for a bomber.

Here are the requested photos for posterity.
2016-04-06 16.58.20.jpg
2016-04-06 16.57.53.jpg

Slept on it and decided that it's going back. I love the fit and the quality is excellent, but I am just not in love with the style of the leather. The leather is very supple, but also thin and potentially delicate. If it were more rugged, I would likely be keeping it. And LKP reminded me that suede is my one true love for a bomber.

View attachment 15358 View attachment 15359

Suede or better yet nubuck. Also a more civilian style is often better in my opinion. Cossack or half belt

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

View attachment 15358 View attachment 15359
I'm glad you sent it back. The whole package is not bad, but it's not great.

good jacket
for me:
buttons > zipper
suede > non-suede smooth leather

I was in NYC last weekend, and finally found my perfect leather jacket. A snuff suede blouson with button closure. Just in time for summer! :dolan:

Should I Nano-protect it before wearing?

I was in NYC last weekend, and finally found my perfect leather jacket. A snuff suede blouson with button closure. Just in time for summer! :dolan:

Should I Nano-protect it before wearing?

Never protected snything
All good

Does anybody know if the Members Only Jackets from the 80s used reasonable leather on some models?

I see a lot of vintage ones that almost get it right?

Contemplating this. Reminds me of a canvas mechanics jacket my dad had that I always liked. Not in black but in Horween brown bison.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Horween brown bison

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

hmmmm. i kind of like that but i don't like how it has leather zipper pulls and metal zipper pulls. who's make, Aero?

I would turf the leather pulls, don't Like'em either.

Simmons Bilt, which is the new name of Alexander Leathers, which was started when Will Lauder left Aero with half of the craftsman. They changed their name after he went to prison for ripping Aero off.

Ordered the Simmons Bilt Roadster in the Horween chromexel brown bison. 4 weeks construction time.

The one pictured above? Did you make modifications?

Yup. Custom sleeve & back length for my midget height and thalidomide arms. Wool tartan lining over cotton or moleskin. Shoulder measurements and chest tolerance of the standard size are bang on for me. Talon repro zipper (brass not nickle). Don't like the look of the optional Riri's

Yup. Custom sleeve & back length for my midget height and thalidomide arms. Wool tartan lining over cotton or moleskin. Shoulder measurements and chest tolerance of the standard size are bang on for me. Talon repro zipper (brass not nickle). Don't like the look of the optional Riri's
sweet. looking forward to seeing the finished product. how many clams did it set you back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom