Leather Jacket Thread

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem like you.
I ordered from simmons bilt and I am not happy with the result. I contacted them and they will not take it back.

They are saying it is a "custom order", but they have never mentioned it to me. Even on the final order they didnt mention it.
For me that is very shady behavior. They dont want to take anything back because it costs them money.
Maybe you have more luck.
Btw: In my case it always took them 5 to 7 days to respond.

I will never buy there again and I will order my next jacket from aero leather. Be warned.

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem like you.
I ordered from simmons bilt and I am not happy with the result. I contacted them and they will not take it back.

They are saying it is a "custom order", but they have never mentioned it to me. Even on the final order they didnt mention it.
For me that is very shady behavior. They dont want to take anything back because it costs them money.
Maybe you have more luck.
Btw: In my case it always took them 5 to 7 days to respond.

I will never buy there again and I will order my next jacket from aero leather. Be warned.

Yikes.

Did they offer to remake it?

No, nothing. But Steve send me a long mail and told me that people like me ruining his business

I just looked back at my correspondence with them. Never had an issue with contact. Daily. Even rang them and got through regularly. Nor was my order cocked up. Things must have slipped over time.

I just looked back at my correspondence with them. Never had an issue with contact. Daily. Even rang them and got through regularly. Nor was my order cocked up. Things must have slipped over time.
seems to be the way of things in the world of fashion. start out like gangbusters, end up like gang violence.

It’s now been a week without a response. I’m definitely not giving up, but I’m also looking at options here. If S-B give me a similar response to O ojay , I can either try to sell it off and start again with a custom Aero Ridley or send it to Johnson Leathers for a remake.

It’s now been a week without a response. I’m definitely not giving up, but I’m also looking at options here. If S-B give me a similar response to O ojay , I can either try to sell it off and start again with a custom Aero Ridley or send it to Johnson Leathers for a remake.
chargeback with your credit card company

I finally got an email from them this morning saying I was SOL and that’s how it’s supposed to fit.

I created a thread on TFL about my experience and sent it to them. I got a nasty email from Steve in reply - but saying they will refund with return.

Guess I’m gonna try Aero next.

Looking into a modified Aero Ridley or maybe something custom from Greg fields now. Big step up in price, but I’m already emotionally committed to a new jacket.

Fields has some amazing Shinki leather and is a true craftsman - though I’m not sure what he will think about me wanting so many changes to his stock design.

Dropbear Dropbear

If you create a new account you get 15% off + 9% retailmenot. Got it around $435.

I exchanged a few emails with Greg Fields and his base price is high, but Aero gets right up there with all the add-ons. Plus he uses some top shelf Japanese leathers. Really nice bloke, too.

He does a full m2m with any customization you want for that one base price. For an extra £100 he makes a heavy cotton try-on jacket with your measurements and specs to try before going into final production.

Last edited:
I placed an order with Field. Production in mid-Jan, so it should arrive by my 50th. I’m calling it the MLC jacket (mid life crisis).

I’m going with the same stripped-down cross zip as previous attempt (with a V yoke).

gotta admit, I’d love to get a cafe racer from him as well some day:

1605793181836.jpeg

While I wait for the Shinki leather jacket Greg is making me, I’m toying with the idea of getting a suede jacket made up by Paki Shawn at 5*

A type 3 trucker of a J100 cafe racer? I prefer the lines of the latter, but in suede it might look too mall?

While I wait for the Shinki leather jacket Greg is making me, I’m toying with the idea of getting a suede jacket made up by Paki Shawn at 5*

A type 3 trucker of a J100 cafe racer? I prefer the lines of the latter, but in suede it might look too mall?
Who the fuck is paki shawn?

what happened to the other jacket that the fucked up?

Who the fuck is paki shawn?

what happened to the other jacket that the fucked up?

lols.

I got a full refund on the jacket that SImmons-Bilt fucked up. Placed an order with Greg Field (also in Scotland, but with a stellar reputation) which I should receive in about another month.

While I wait for the good jacket, I’m tempted to get something cheap made up by Five Star - a complete MTO outfit out of Pakistan. If you can communicate precisely what you want with all measurements and detailed drawings, you can get a good jacket out of it. Definitely a crap shoot, but fun in that he will make anything you ask for, with any materials, any measurements you want and send you detailed pics along the way for your approval.

While I wait for the good jacket, I’m tempted to get something cheap made up by Five Star - a complete MTO outfit out of Pakistan. If you can communicate precisely what you want with all measurements and detailed drawings, you can get a good jacket out of it. Definitely a crap shoot, but fun in that he will make anything you ask for, with any materials, any measurements you want and send you detailed pics along the way for your approval.
this sounds like a terrible idea. i think you should do it just for the lolz.

this sounds like a terrible idea. i think you should do it just for the lolz.
If the fam PayPal me a few bucks for Xmas I may do it. Should be entertaining, if nothing else. I have seen some pretty good jackets come out - like a guy who sent very detailed measurements and some pics of an eBay auction to copy a 1930s original design.

As far as good jackets go, Thedi just launched a new website. The guy looks weird (that hair!!) and I’m not a fan of a lot of his designs, but the quality is still on point:

I posted a pic of this dude’s beautiful Shinki cafe racer by Field Leathers earlier in this thread. He also has two superb Johnson Leather jackets as well:

C750BD85-56C7-4D14-B6A9-4B650EA42FE3.jpeg
1F827DE1-315F-4952-AB4A-9BB9CEBB0202.jpeg
99C6A067-B4B5-4D77-93F2-EFEBF47315EF.jpeg
042A7C9C-BB4C-473F-AC48-D7D6DE4AD527.jpeg

Came up with a little extra cash at the end of the year, so I’m ordering a custom half belt from Johnson’s Leather. Havana brown CXL FQHH, three pockets, maybe a warmer lining like alpaca but otherwise all pretty standard.

Two custom jackets about to go into production and I’m toying with a third: I found a source for some really nice buffalo suede that would make a nice spring/autumn jacket. I can’t really think of pattern though - a suede trucker doesn’t really interest me and a lot of what you see these days looks like Nordstrom Rack shapeless bags.

Came up with a little extra cash at the end of the year, so I’m ordering a custom half belt from Johnson’s Leather. Havana brown CXL FQHH, three pockets, maybe a warmer lining like alpaca but otherwise all pretty standard.

JL got hit by the covid and had to close shop for two weeks, so my jacket has been delayed. I’m still hoping to get the cloth fit jacket at the end of next month though. I ended up with a pretty basic three pocket design.

It looks like the Field Leathers cross zip may get here first.

Edit: speaking of which:

Last edited:
I'm in my 40's, so I wanted something in between a moto style and an Indiana Jones type of jacket, but I wanted thicker, tougher "armor". I also didn't think I'd be wearing it enough to warrant a four-figure spend, so I went with this waxed cowhide #673 from Schott. I was between sizes, so I went up and had a good leather alterations tailor adjust it accordingly.

Schott.jpg

Johnson Leathers just did this for a customer. I actually like it, though it still borders on Pimp Daddy territory.

E6E33282-0F25-43BD-9163-6095065DA491.jpeg
4B5BAB59-ACF4-4C1D-9A75-EA6098BA19AB.jpeg

JL fit jacket arrive! I may do some small tweaks but overall I think it’s pretty good. I guess I didn’t choose a lining yet, either.

DCA14630-F674-4473-AD64-493BB1D707B5.jpeg
3924C534-9923-4CBE-9EC0-BA039B25F2CE.jpeg
1BA0081C-8108-4649-A79B-634D77916185.jpeg
B995035D-ED05-444C-9B78-A7C7D1480995.jpeg
9F33B90F-2C28-425A-B339-99A727120F28.jpeg

I’m still on the fence about taking the back of the JL jacket up a half inch.

Meanwhile, I’m pretty sure this is my other jacket in production now:

4B257C2E-7920-4316-94EE-DB1F9CE4F2A4.jpeg

how short do you want it?

I know I like my jackets longer than I’d currently fashionable, partly because I have a long torso, but I think this could come up a half inch in the back. The front is good, imo.

0AB22784-239B-482F-8ADC-EF16BC50223A.jpeg

For my Field Leather jacket, I spent a lot of time emailing back and forth with Greg and taking pics with measurements in various jackets. He does offer a custom fit jacket option, but I feel pretty confident we got the sizing right.

For the Johnson Leather jacket, I did opt for a fit jacket (above) to check the pattern over and fit. Though it really didn’t need much tweaking, it did add to my confidence.

This guy got a fit jacket from Field and apparently people thought it was the final product. Lols!

3578EE28-FC11-4817-9373-C005678F86CB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom