Money and Wardrobe

When you say identical you don't mean in the colour as well do you? I'd be happy to own a couple of pairs of EG Dovers, not in the same colour of course. Not sure about more than that.
It was a one-colour one shoe™ rotation

But I've enjoyed it I guess and if I hadn't wasted money on that I'd have spunked on some other shit I didn't need. Most of it through a rolled up note most likely.
Yeah, that's of course perfectly possible. But it's also possible that the money would have gone somewhere, where it's not completely lost. Or that someone even was able to save it to go towards real estate and the like...

I never feel like I have enough choice though.
I like to have a lot of choice too. But then again I constantly restrain myself, as I like being kind of modest and don't want to be excessive. Reduction can be beautiful as well.
Again I see the danger that someone wants to have 11 sweaters in different colour at entry-level quality. As soon as he discovers that there are better choices, he won't touch the sweaters again.

There isn't a real problem if you already know what you like, if you have found out which level is good enough for you. With a couple of EG Dovers I don't think you'll leave them untouched in a few years. Except if you totally change your style or lose interest in clothing.

You have to be disciplined, I could easily overspend on clothes, shoes and watches every month. There's always something I want.
I know the feeling...

pulling a Foo and buying 11 identical pairs of trousers or shoes is completely inane.
That's Foo-lish indeed. But everyone except Foo knew what was coming from the beginning. I think there's also a vast lack of self-control and greed for accumulation if you think you "need" 5+3 western shirts in the same colour.

I think we are talking about a set of behaviors that while clumped together, show different underlying motivations.
There’s the Foo-like behavior of “buying x of everything” (not sure what the motivation is - lack of self control, greed for accumulation as suggested?)
There’s the buying a sweater in every color for “wardrobe completeness” sake
There’s the “that looks cool I should buy it”
He bought 8 pairs of black Aldens, apparently. Identical.

View attachment 41694
He just did the same with a bunch of Westerner shirts

Update - Foo is worried the distressed shirts have been distressed too much, so on top of the 8 frayed ones, he is buying 5 raw ones.

Update - Foo is worried the distressed shirts have been distressed too much, so on top of the 8 frayed ones, he is buying 5 raw ones.
Seems reasonable, be pretty pointless getting 8 raw ones.

Doesn't raw mean unwashed? Lets hope they don't shrink too much if so. That would be a bummer for the lad.

How much of Foo is lost to admiration of other SF users, or at least the need to be a sort of internet big daddy? Would he do such stupid things if he wasn't a big fish in a small pond?

Sounds on a par with poor old Foris, but with money to accually buy stuff and not just look at it, or send it back.

More like a wife with enough money
Not that I dispute this oft-repeated statement but is this irrefutable? I have seen a few guys who live off missus familial or earned wealth, they are often built like Adonis', have a big penis or the other extreme, complete wastes of oxygen.

Foo is none of these. He is not genetically gifted and well, he is not a scholastic idiot.

Not that I dispute this oft-repeated statement but is this irrefutable? I have seen a few guys who live off missus familial or earned wealth, they are often built like Adonis', have a big penis or the other extreme, complete wastes of oxygen.

Foo is none of these.

I know, I'm somewhat perplexed at what she is getting out of the deal myself.

Foo is none of these. He is not genetically gifted and well, he is not a scholastic idiot.
My Accountant likes to regale me with stories of visits to mega-rich folk where the man has married into great wealth and families of Dutch trading distinction, without any exception, he said when you meet these guys they're totally without any presence or charisma and you would never think they had the cunning, intelligence and good looks to marry into serious money.

My Accountant likes to regale me with stories of visits to mega-rich folk where the man has married into great wealth and families of Dutch trading distinction, without any exception, he said when you meet these guys they're totally without any presence or charisma and you would never think they had the cunning, intelligence and good looks to marry into serious money.
I need to move to Holland and mix with some rich totty. Sounds like I'm just what their looking for.

I need to move to Holland and mix with some rich totty. Sounds like I'm just what their looking for.
They tend to age not so well, by the time they get to 50 all those sunbeds start to take their toll.

And as one of my chums likes to say, they're a bit like South African women, quite fit, but totally lacking in all finesse and looks like they've put on the nearest piece of clothing possible, as he pointed to a rather fit lady at the North Sea Jazz Festival who had a summer dress on and a pair of winter boots at the beginning of July.

They tend to age not so well, by the time they get to 50 all those sunbeds start to take their toll.

And as one of my chums likes to say, they're a bit like South African women, quite fit, but totally lacking in all finesse and looks like they've put on the nearest piece of clothing possible, as he pointed to a rather fit lady at the North Sea Jazz Festival who had a summer dress on and a pair of winter boots at the beginning of July.
This is a massive plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom