Music Of The Moment

"Rock" Music owes this man a huge amount. Had Elton John, Rod Stewart in his early bands. Story is Reggie Dwight took the John in his name from Baldry

"Rock" Music owes this man a huge amount. Had Elton John, Rod Stewart in his early bands. Story is Reggie Dwight took the John in his name from Baldry

Baldry was a bridge into 'modern' music to some degree. His music definitely needs revisiting.

This is from a film they featured in. Can't remember what it was called. Wasn't it something to do with diamonds?
I found it interesting in the film how the announcer introduced them. His emphasis on both Small and Faces made it clear that the actor had been told what their name meant.

30 years since Girlfriend and Matthew Sweet is still producing music that does make the critics cringe and tasty, fuzzy guitars.

I don’t mind a little emo, but it really does all sound the same.

One of the tastiest guitar solos done by any band and not played by a session musician or hired gun.

There's a lot of myths with Joy Division. Some terrible bootlegs, getting booed off the stage and the likes.

There's an awful, taped interview with Ian Curtis, where he talks about coming in having just picked-up cigarette butt ends discarded on the street to create a smoke. That was in the present time. No real dark romance there. And hardly rock and roll.

The Belgium lady he had the affair with, said she had never come across such poverty with the band etc wearing really thin wind sheeter coats in the middle of winter.

My arch-nemesis who was contemporary in Manchester and Macclesfield at the time, gave a different version to the accepted history of Joy Division. Tony Wilson was having an affair with Ian's wife. Additionally, Ian was already addicted to heroin and realised he couldn't survive a USA tour without going loco cold turkey and decided it was all too much.

Whilst there was that one great record, to me Ian Curtis gets a free pass as a poet for using ''Conquistador'' in his lyrics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom