NBA 2023-2024 Season

That's sad. I always liked the Stockton/Malone duo and the regular season consistency.

They are so overrated. Playing together all those years and never won! Stockton always gets listed as one of the best PG's ever. He can't touch Isiah!

They are so overrated. Playing together all those years and never won! Stockton always gets listed as one of the best PG's ever. He can't touch Isiah!

That's why I said "regular season".

you're on crack. stockton was the best pure point guard that ever played. his assist record will never be broken.

you're on crack. stockton was the best pure point guard that ever played. his assist record will never be broken.

Yeah but their (I always count Stockton and Malone together) records will always be underappreciated because they never won the big one.

Please. All he did was pass the ball to KM! He NEVER made his team better and NEVER helped that team win a championship!

Yeah but their (I always count Stockton and Malone together) records will always be underappreciated because they never won the big one.
Please. All he did was pass the ball to KM! He NEVER made his team better and NEVER helped that team win a championship!
proof positive. personally i think stockton was underrated and karl malone was overrated.
Magic Johnson says hi!
magic was one of the 5 best players ever. but i dont see him as a pure point in the way that i would stockton or isiah or gary payton. hell he played center in the finals when kareem was out. dont get me wrong im not trying to get into a 'magic wasn't a good passer' thing, believe me.

i mean just look at these numbers

Steals
1988-89 NBA 263 (1st)
1991-92 NBA 244 (1st)
Career NBA 3265 (1st)
Career 3265 (1st)

Assists
1987-88 NBA 1128 (1st)
1988-89 NBA 1118 (1st)
1989-90 NBA 1134 (1st)
1990-91 NBA 1164 (1st)
1991-92 NBA 1126 (1st)
1992-93 NBA 987 (1st)
1993-94 NBA 1031 (1st)
1994-95 NBA 1011 (1st)
1995-96 NBA 916 (1st)
Career NBA 15806 (1st)
Career 15806 (1st)

LeBron James assists? I thought people just give him the ball.

i mean just look at these numbers

Steals
1988-89 NBA 263 (1st)
1991-92 NBA 244 (1st)
Career NBA 3265 (1st)
Career 3265 (1st)

Assists
1987-88 NBA 1128 (1st)
1988-89 NBA 1118 (1st)
1989-90 NBA 1134 (1st)
1990-91 NBA 1164 (1st)
1991-92 NBA 1126 (1st)
1992-93 NBA 987 (1st)
1993-94 NBA 1031 (1st)
1994-95 NBA 1011 (1st)
1995-96 NBA 916 (1st)
Career NBA 15806 (1st)
Career 15806 (1st)

-Malone is the 2nd all time scorer in the NBA so of course Stockton will be high/top the assist category.
-Stockton averaged 13.1 & 10.5 during his 19 year career. Wanna guess how much he averaged in his career during the playoffs? 13.4 & 10.1. So when the money was on the table, he NEVER elevated his game, or his team.

look how far the gulf is on the all time assists list between stockton at 1 and jason kidd at 2

NBA/ABA

RankPlayerAST
1.John Stockton*15806
2.Jason Kidd*12091
3.Steve Nash*10335
4.Mark Jackson10334
5.Magic Johnson*10141
6.Oscar Robertson*9887
7.Chris Paul 9607
8.LeBron James 9298
9.Isiah Thomas*9061
10.Gary Payton*8966

Oh...I know all about Stockton's stats.

He reminds me of Craig Biggio(baseball.) Dude is somehow in the hall of fame/3000 hits(25th all time.) A compiler if I ever saw one.

So championships won is the main metric?

Not necessarily. But on that all time assist leaderboard, I would easily take Isiah/Magic/Paul/Kidd & Lebron over Stockton. Payton probably. Nash and Mark J are a tossup. I never saw Oscar R play so I won't comment...even though he is generally considered one of the greatest to ever play.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. But on that all time assist leaderboard, I would easily take Isiah/Magic/Paul/Kidd & Lebron over Stockton. Payton probably. Nash and Mark J are a tossup. I never saw Oscar R play so I won't comment...even though he is generally considered one of the greatest to ever play.
i think i'd take him over everyone but magic and gary payton if i was building a team that needed a pure 1 but i understand your general sentiment. personally think gary payton is underrated as well.

i think i'd take him over everyone but magic and gary payton if i was building a team that I never expected to win anything needed a pure 1 but i understand your general sentiment. personally think gary payton is underrated as well.

Back to active players...I heard the season restarts mid July till Labour Day. Where is the off-season till the next season then?

Okay. I am. Since I am interested in a title defence for the Raptors and I'm afraid another year on the bench for Gasol (if renewed) and Lowry won't be kind to their performance levels.

Back to active players...I heard the season restarts mid July till Labour Day. Where is the off-season till the next season then?
Up in the air. I imagine the off-season and the upcoming season will be rolled the f back. I know cancelling is not an option currently considering but It'd be the best in all honesty. Start afresh.

Gary Payton as a defensive pure PG. Magic the greatest PG by far. Stockton ...for durability I guess.

Okay. I am. Since I am interested in a title defence for the Raptors and I'm afraid another year on the bench for Gasol (if renewed) and Lowry won't be kind to their performance levels.

Don't get me wrong. When I said that I am not interested, I meant that right now, with shortened seasons and other stuff happening, it's low on my radar.

I'm a huge Pistons fan!

It's over for Vince Carter. By luck he played in the tail end of the 1990s, 2000s, 2010s and 2020.

It's over for Vince Carter. By luck he played in the tail end of the 1990s, 2000s, 2010s and 2020.

Don't you mean he started his career in the tail end of the 90's and played until 2020 which [by luck] made him the only NBA player to play in 4 different decades and ending with having played more seasons (22) than anything other NBA player?

You make it sound like he only played in the tail end of each decade.

And didn't everyone know that he said 2019-20 was going to be his last season because he announced it before the season started?

You make it sound like he only played in the tail end of each decade.

And didn't everyone know that he said 2019-20 was going to be his last season because he announced it before the season started?

Okay, I missed one "the" .

I think everyone has been thinking it's his last season ever since he started doing one year deals.

VC has broken the record for longevity and good for him but it is time to go. People who are seeing him now are seeing a shadow of what Carter was in his pomp. Besides Atlanta is constructing a nice young team.

It's been strange to hear VC talked about so reverently. He been out of the competitive NBA scene for 3 years (i.e. hasn't played a playoff game in 3 years). Hell he's only made the playoffs in 11 of his 22 seasons.

Okay, I missed one "the" .

I think everyone has been thinking it's his last season ever since he started doing one year deals.

I suppose. He was on multi-year deals until 2017, then the one season with Sacramento and Atlanta did resign him after the first one-year and he announced his retirement of the start of that one.

Watching Raptors and Lakers. Lakers had a horrendous start but neck and neck now in the 2nd.

Why can't we have people's names on their shirts anymore?

"Great team, no if's, and's or but's. Well coached. Championship DNA. The media may not give them as much credit because Kawhi is gone but players know what type of team they are."

- thanks LeBron but we already knew that.

I was surprised the Raptors beat the Bucks but then it seems like both teams were resting starters. Other than the misstep with the Celtics the championship defence looks to start in earnest soon.

I was surprised the Raptors beat the Bucks but then it seems like both teams were resting starters. Other than the misstep with the Celtics the championship defence looks to start in earnest soon.
they've got a legit shot to come out of the east. i've been really impressed with them so far.

god the lakers look like dogshit.

i'm really pulling for orlando to upset milwaukee here. i know its like a 1 in a million shot but its been way too long since we've had a good 8 seed upset.

Raptors not doing too well right now. Maybe my not watching trick isn't working.

2-0 on top of the Nets.

Now on to the Nets "home game" .

god the lakers look like dogshit.

i'm really pulling for orlando to upset milwaukee here. i know its like a 1 in a million shot but its been way too long since we've had a good 8 seed upset.

Lakers win their first playoff game since 2012. It has been that long?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom