News about HM The King and the monarchy

Even in The Crown the relationship comes across as pretty solid, although he may have had some flings with dancers.

I like the bit in The Crown where Charles has his little of piece of paper ready with his speech for when they're summoned to see the Queen and Prince Philip regarding the marriage troubles. Diana says she wants the marriage to work and afterwards Prince Philip says to Charles that there's nothing left to say after Diana's commitment to the marriage.

Even in The Crown the relationship comes across as pretty solid, although he may have had some flings with dancers.

I like the bit in The Crown where Charles has his little of piece of paper ready with his speech for when they're summoned to see the Queen and Prince Philip regarding the marriage troubles. Diana says she wants the marriage to work and afterwards Prince Philip says to Charles that there's nothing left to say after Diana's commitment to the marriage.
It’s good soap opera.

‘The community’ on Saltwater New England are already wetting themselves with excitement counting Barbours in each episode.

Maggie T. was a customer of Aquascutum IIRC.

There was an insult that went around at the time of her premiership (by her strongest detractors AKA tenured Left-wing radicals) about there being something obscene about her choosing clothes at M&S (????). Think that particular gem was the philosopher Mary Warnock.

Thatcher used to drive Left-wing Oxbridge dons absolutely bonkers...

Its comical. You quickly come to realise how overrated some of these clowns are.

This by Professor John Vincent on the types of snobbery she had to put up with:

“It was because she offered ‘earnest and practical dissent’ to progressive orthodoxy. Mrs. Thatcher is the point at which all snobberies meet: intellectual snobbery, social snobbery, the snobbery of Brooks’s [the whiggish London club], the snobbery about scientists among those educated in the arts, the snobbery of the metropolis about the provincial, the snobbery of the South about the North, and the snobbery of men about career women.”

Last edited:

There was an insult that went around at the time of her premiership (by her strongest detractors AKA tenured Left-wing radicals) about there being something obscene about her choosing clothes at M&S (????). Think that particular jem was the philosopher Mary Warnock.

Thatcher used to drive Left-wing Oxbridge dons absolutely bonkers....

Its comical. You quickly come to realise how overrated some of these clowns are.

Professor John Vincent:

At the time, I thought she was the very epitome of posh.

At the time, I thought she was the very epitome of posh.

Daughter of a green grocer. Went up to Oxford to read Chemistry.

Very facts-driven. You couldn't persuade her in an argument by the use of slippery rhetoric. Another reason why she drove the arts graduates mad.

She did have some (serious) intellectual blind spots however. Did she save the UK? Probably, but at great cost.

Daughter of a green grocer. Went up to Oxford to read Chemistry.

Very facts-driven. You couldn't persuade her in an argument by the use of slippery rhetoric. Another reason why she drove the arts graduates mad.

She did have some (serious) intellectual blind spots however. Did she save the UK? Probably, but at great cost.

My understanding is that as a ''green grocer'' he had several shops and pre-supermarket empire going on?

She was manipulated towards the end with some bad policies: poll tax being the worse and the other obscenity ''Care in the Community.'' Perhaps that was the worse.

She undoubtedly did save the UK and the the cost was high - but the rot in the UK was not of her making - those brutal housing estates, schools, nationalized industries were a disaster.

I was speaking to a colleague last week about the era and he didn't get an inside toilet in his parents house until 1976. The 70s were quite grotty for many.

But I remember the early 80s as the breakdown of the social contract between the working classes and the apprenticeship system, and there was a lost generation of several years. The old system collapsed and it was sheer with no alternative for a couple of years. The cost: the massive underclass and criminal class that now controls the former council estates. That was the great and terrible cost.

Had the UK been more disciplined across the interested parties - labour/union and management classes - they could have innovated like Germany in the 70s and still be around in 2020 without those shit-hole sink estates which the UK (and France) excel at.

Hell, even as a Yank I knew that wasn't the case. Then again she had a bit of American practicality in her.

She certainly wouldn't be misplaced as working class. That's a fact.

But I remember the early 80s as the breakdown of the social contract between the working classes and the apprenticeship system, and there was a lost generation of several years. The old system collapsed and it was sheer with no alternative for a couple of years. The cost: the massive underclass and criminal class that now controls the former council estates. That was the great and terrible cost.

Clarification please: Are you saying Thatcher was responsible for this collapse, or that she inherited it?

There was an insult that went around at the time of her premiership (by her strongest detractors AKA tenured Left-wing radicals) about there being something obscene about her choosing clothes at M&S (????). Think that particular gem was the philosopher Mary Warnock.

Thatcher used to drive Left-wing Oxbridge dons absolutely bonkers...

This by Professor John Vincent on the types of snobbery she had to put up with:
I'd imagine the English would be quite the experts on snobbery

I'd imagine the English would be quite the experts on snobbery

Yes, it does seem like a particular sport in certain parts of British society. Thackeray mocked it mercilessly, and actually wrote a book about it.

However, every society has its snobs. In my experience the Americans take some beating.

Well, its a big country.
Lol. Indeed.

But I mean in locales, you have the whole gamut of snobs to non snobs. It's the Republican leaning upper middle that is the absolute pinnacle of the American snob species, with the right athleisure wear, car brand, gym membership etc... Which is hilarious as they are culturally so inferior.

Lol. Indeed.

But I mean in locales, you have the whole gamut of snobs to non snobs. It's the Republican leaning upper middle that is the absolute pinnacle of the American snob species, with the right athleisure wear, car brand, gym membership etc... Which is hilarious as they are culturally so inferior.

Which is a very snobbish thing to say...

Chuckle.

Societies will always divide themselves into classes, tribes, cliques &c.

Take Australia, look at the mockery Julia Gillard received because of her accent?

1606236822396.png

This old one from LIFE, still holds imo.

Chuckle.

Take Australia, look at the mockery Julia Gillard received because of her accent?

Not particularly. The salient point of snobbery is the self reverence, of which I don;t give much consideration. I'm an equal opportunity offender. I think everyone is dumb.

There is a difference in tribalism and snobbery anyway. And factions certainly exist everywhere, but they are not de rigueur. Personally, I'm militantly individualistic and chafe at the very notion of belonging to a class or tribe. I'd rather punch myself in the dick than have to converse with someone I agree with or who holds the same status/opinions/background/whatever as me.

This is more than just an idle preference too, it's part of the bigger issues with the world. Unless you put yourself in a position to being profoundly uncomfortable everyday, you are destined to be a weak, malformed human existing lower down the evolutionary ladder.

Not particularly. The salient point of snobbery is the self reverence, of which I don;t give much consideration. I'm an equal opportunity offender. I think everyone is dumb.

There is a difference in tribalism and snobbery anyway. And factions certainly exist everywhere, but they are not de rigueur. Personally, I'm militantly individualistic and chafe at the very notion of belonging to a class or tribe. I'd rather punch myself in the dick than have to converse with someone I agree with or who holds the same status/opinions/background/whatever as me.

This is more than just an idle preference too, it's part of the bigger issues with the world. Unless you put yourself in a position to being profoundly uncomfortable everyday, you are destined to be a weak, malformed human existing lower down the evolutionary ladder.

"The [gentleman] doth protest too much, methinks"

;)

Yes, it does seem like a particular sport in certain parts of British society. Thackeray mocked it mercilessly, and actually wrote a book about it.

However, every society has its snobs. In my experience the Americans take some beating.
Oh yeah. We’ve got it here. Not too bad.

Chuckle.

Julia didn’t get much mockery here because of her accent. Even Her enemies didn’t focus on that much.

Channel 4 has always been a contrarian shitefest at Christmas time. It’s an ‘alternative’ tradition now.

Just think how good DeepFakes will become with a little time. Will there be laws against them?

The fakes need to be a little deeper before I think we need to worry.

That shit is as bad as CGI Jabba the Hut.

I think we are being harsh on Channel 4. The spread of misinformation is something it is foolish to ignore and this video can only make more aware of the need not to believe everything you see, regardless of how skilfull or otherwise the video is as a piece of deepfakery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom