not classic shaving thread yet?

were untermensch do reviews of megaluxury soaps etc

I've gone back to soaps rather than shower gels. And there isn't anything better than the L'Occitane house style of the L'Occitan range for men. Including the aftershave balm and Eu de Toilette. Clean and not petro-chemically which you get with most stuff in that price range. The soap is excellent. But too cheap for the elitist groovy liberals on this forum.

I'm using a Dutch brand shaving foam at present. Ditched Gillette when they went SJW anti-male of the species. Wouldn't touch any of their products now. And what a good move the shaving foam lasts several times longer than Gillette. But I only use for shaving my nut. Face is done with electric razor and electric razor preperation.

I've gone back to soaps rather than shower gels. And there isn't anything better than the L'Occitane house style of the L'Occitan range for men. Including the aftershave balm and Eu de Toilette. Clean and not petro-chemically which you get with most stuff in that price range. The soap is excellent. But too cheap for the elitist groovy liberals on this forum.

I'm using a Dutch brand shaving foam at present. Ditched Gillette when they went SJW anti-male of the species. Wouldn't touch any of their products now. And what a good move the shaving foam lasts several times longer than Gillette. But I only use for shaving my nut. Face is done with electric razor and electric razor preperation.

I used all my life biotherm foam for sensible skins but I believe is plenty fo ftalates and petrol, watching this XIX century bottles featured on those forums makes me believe those will be better, on this forums I feel as 15 years ago when I discovered the other forum and borrelli or kiton shirts by first time, was a new world.

People recommends also the USA made Rockwell machine better than german Muhle

also italian soaps as saponificio whatever.

I used all my life biotherm foam for sensible skins but I believe is plenty fo ftalates and petrol, watching this XIX century bottles featured on those forums makes me believe those will be better, on this forums I feel as 15 years ago when I discovered the other forum and borrelli or kiton shirts by first time, was a new world.

also italian soaps as saponificio whatever.

I went to Biotherm when Clinique fell behind them, about 18 years ago now.

Kiehl's are excellent and I moved over to them on the moisturiser front when I decided to take the plunge in Bilbao last year. But they have too many choices in their range.

i thought we had a shaving/body type thread? doghouse doghouse ?

Kiehl's are excellent and I moved over to them on the moisturiser front when I decided to take the plunge in Bilbao last year. But they have too many choices in their range.
kiehl's went down hill after they got bought out by estee lauder. and you're right that they've got WAY too many offerings.

have you tried the rockwell? if so what do you think?

Right then. Shaving.

First, you need a proper chin - set, determined, chiselled - and some suitable stubble.

Then, a razor. I don't believe in faffing about with hipster cut-throat razors. If you can handle them without flaying yourself, fine. But for the rest of us, there's safety razors. I've only ever tried two manufacturers: Merkur and Mühle. Solingen steel, the stuff which made Germany feared. Chromed, of course. As for blades, I've tried several brands, and to be honestIy found very little difference. Astra seem to do the trick for my delicate skin. Feather can sometimes be a touch too sharp. Razor blades are cheap as chips. Gone are the days when I used to shell out over fifteen quid for a packet of Gillette seven-bladed Venetian blind contraptions endorsed by David Beckham or that Ronaldo twat. Seven blades means seven cuts. And did I say they cost a fortune?

Next, shaving soap or cream. Before I go into brands, know this: Just like safety razors, you WILL save money in the long run. Shaving soap or cream lasts for ages, and you only need the tiniest amount. The nec plus ultra is Geo. F. Trumper. I tried their sandalwood shaving soap, but it would dry out my delicate peachy skin. And with the hard water round our way, I never managed a decent lather.

I switched to shaving cream and now I'm a happy man. So: Geo F. Trumper sandalwood shaving cream, or peppermint (like being slapped by an iceberg in the morning), or rose (don't be put off - it's not flowery at all). Any scent will do, really. The other two brands in the holy trinity of shaving are Taylor of Old Bond Street (cheap and excellent, I've just shaved with their Sensitive Skin Wotsit Cream - the black tub), and D R Harris (so far, two shaving sticks that I used when travelling, and little handluggage-sized tub of shaving cream. Not the best of the trio, but does the job.

With shaving cream, you can just slap the stuff on with your hands. With soap, or if you want to go pro, you will need a shaving brush. I've tried Kent (from the finest badger hair masterpiece to possibly the worst shaving brush ever made, the boar bristle wooden-handled one whose name I forget), and Vulfix (including a nifty travel brush that comes with a storage tube). You might think they're expensive, but a) there's a whole range of prices, and b) you're saving money in the long run. Take care of them and they should last for decades.

Finally, aftershave. No alcohol for my delicate peachy fresh schoolboy's skin, but shaving balm. You can go with high-street brands like Nivea, or you can treat yourself to the Best, viz. Geo. F. Trumper's skin food.

If you pop into Geo. F. Trumper's beautiful little shop on Duke of York Street, off Jermyn Street where Crompers used to get his shirts when he was a soi-disant penniless student, you'll be greeted by the quietly congenial Kamil Ozturk. He will be happy to answer any questions, and they never, ever, do the eager salesman thing (Taylor of Old Bond Street do it - but they get a lot of tourist trade). They will let you have a look and a sniff, and they'll let you choose. Old school. The way shops were meant to be. D R Harris have their shop on St James's Street, where our friend Kirby Allison has his Club and his Davidoff cigars. Again, old school, no young sales staff, just an oldish man behind the counter, happy to give any advise you.

Either that, or a disposable Bic and a bar of soap.

P.S. Parker razors: Avoid like THE PLAGUE.

I'm using a Dutch brand shaving foam at present. Ditched Gillette when they went SJW anti-male of the species. Wouldn't touch any of their products now. And what a good move the shaving foam lasts several times longer than Gillette. But I only use for shaving my nuts. Face is done with electric razor and electric razor preperation.
:mog:

I use: Taylors Peppermint and D R Harris Eucalyptus. I have used Trumpers too. To be honest, they're all good, I will, however, say that the Harris cream gets quite hard at the bottom of the tub.

Brushes, I use Edwin Jagger.

Razors, Wilkinson Sword 3 bladed ones. But when we get out of lockdown I may try the old safety razors.

Aftershave none.

Proraso is another good high-street option. And more widely available on the Continent.

For the cognoscenti, there's Antica Barbieria Colla.

Right then. Shaving.

First, you need a proper chin - set, determined, chiselled - and some suitable stubble.

Then, a razor. I don't believe in faffing about with hipster cut-throat razors. If you can handle them without flaying yourself, fine. But for the rest of us, there's safety razors. I've only ever tried two manufacturers: Merkur and Mühle. Solingen steel, the stuff which made Germany feared. Chromed, of course. As for blades, I've tried several brands, and to be honestIy found very little difference. Astra seem to do the trick for my delicate skin. Feather can sometimes be a touch too sharp. Razor blades are cheap as chips. Gone are the days when I used to shell out over fifteen quid for a packet of Gillette seven-bladed Venetian blind contraptions endorsed by David Beckham or that Ronaldo twat. Seven blades means seven cuts. And did I say they cost a fortune?

Next, shaving soap or cream. Before I go into brands, know this: Just like safety razors, you WILL save money in the long run. Shaving soap or cream lasts for ages, and you only need the tiniest amount. The nec plus ultra is Geo. F. Trumper. I tried their sandalwood shaving soap, but it would dry out my delicate peachy skin. And with the hard water round our way, I never managed a decent lather.

I switched to shaving cream and now I'm a happy man. So: Geo F. Trumper sandalwood shaving cream, or peppermint (like being slapped by an iceberg in the morning), or rose (don't be put off - it's not flowery at all). Any scent will do, really. The other two brands in the holy trinity of shaving are Taylor of Old Bond Street (cheap and excellent, I've just shaved with their Sensitive Skin Wotsit Cream - the black tub), and D R Harris (so far, two shaving sticks that I used when travelling, and little handluggage-sized tub of shaving cream. Not the best of the trio, but does the job.

With shaving cream, you can just slap the stuff on with your hands. With soap, or if you want to go pro, you will need a shaving brush. I've tried Kent (from the finest badger hair masterpiece to possibly the worst shaving brush ever made, the boar bristle wooden-handled one whose name I forget), and Vulfix (including a nifty travel brush that comes with a storage tube). You might think they're expensive, but a) there's a whole range of prices, and b) you're saving money in the long run. Take care of them and they should last for decades.

Finally, aftershave. No alcohol for my delicate peachy fresh schoolboy's skin, but shaving balm. You can go with high-street brands like Nivea, or you can treat yourself to the Best, viz. Geo. F. Trumper's skin food.

If you pop into Geo. F. Trumper's beautiful little shop on Duke of York Street, off Jermyn Street where Crompers used to get his shirts when he was a soi-disant penniless student, you'll be greeted by the quietly congenial Kamil Ozturk. He will be happy to answer any questions, and they never, ever, do the eager salesman thing (Taylor of Old Bond Street do it - but they get a lot of tourist trade). They will let you have a look and a sniff, and they'll let you choose. Old school. The way shops were meant to be. D R Harris have their shop on St James's Street, where our friend Kirby Allison has his Club and his Davidoff cigars. Again, old school, no young sales staff, just an oldish man behind the counter, happy to give any advise you.

Either that, or a disposable Bic and a bar of soap.

P.S. Parker razors: Avoid like THE PLAGUE.

Counterfeiting in the 1970s was used by Gillette as a marketing opportunity to sell their new-fangled double blade cartridges. You might as well have attempted to shave with the cardboard insert as some of the blades that were on sale. Wilkinson were also counterfeited.

Anyway, the idea of a second blade catching the hairs the first missed sounded feasible. This was before they just kept adding blades so the cartridge was like a lawnmower. Having switched, this was fine - apart from the regular price increases. I never felt the need to upgrade to the additional blades. I did get a free Wilkinson Quattro(4 blades) and cartridge. However, it was too big to shave under my nose so I did not use it after the first attempt.

Boots used to offer cheap shaving cream like Palmolive. It was always on the bottom shelf if it was in stock as it was low profit margin. The American owners have discontinued the line. * Palmolive shaving stick from other retailers is the best similar price alternative. I have tried various Taylor’s of Old Bond Street shaving creams but they were pricey and are even pricier now so I no longer buy them. Avocado and Rose were the best of them. Mitchell’s WoolFat soap from Bradford is excellent. Just buy the refill not the ye Olde pottery container. That just asking for trouble. It’s just a matter of time before you drop it and shatter it. Instead you can use the blue container from a Wilkinson shaving soap. You can throw away the soap itself. It’s useless but cheap.

Badger knots all seem to be sourced from China these days even if they are encased in an English sounding handle. If you don’t want badger then Italian Boar brushes are good but firm.

I still have my old free Gillette slim twist razors. This from the days when you gave the razor away as the customer would come back for blades. I also have an Edwin Jagger three piece. This offers a good shave but replacing the blade requires more care as it does not open so easily. Have a long handle two piece Merkur German razor too. This is a better compromise for opening. The EJ is a better shave. Also have lots of 10 for a £1 plastic Bic razors. These are handy when flying as razors are treated like handguns at check in nowadays.

Blades are usually Astra platinum which are cheap as chips. Derby from Turkey are not bad. Feather are very sharp and more expensive but Astra is a better all rounder.

* seems Boots shaving cream is not discontinued. It used to be under £1 though - when you could find it.

Meanwhile Wilkinson have the Palmolive shaving stick for 25p. It’s out of stock at the moment though.
Could always go to Superdrug and pay a bit more for it.

Last edited:
Boots FTW. Cheap, ubiquitous, massive choice, AND self-service, so you don't have to be embarrassed when buying your king-size johnnies.

Bought a shaving handle for Gilette blades, in the old G. Lorenzi store in Milan, 20 years ago. Platinium iirc. The recommend that (at that time..) over safety razors. But I was around 20 back then, so that might have influenced the recommendation.
Trumpers soap currently, but use Harris too. Brush made by a local project for blind and visually impaired.

Went into Lorenzi's new location in the basement of Larusmiani, on a Milan visit last summer. The old legendary salesman, said he was working with new craftsmen, to build up a new inventory.

kiehl's went down hill after they got bought out by estee lauder. and you're right that they've got WAY too many offerings.

Right here

Want to merge?

Right here

Want to merge?
your call. not like it was particularly active either way.

I use: Taylors Peppermint and D R Harris Eucalyptus. I have used Trumpers too. To be honest, they're all good, I will, however, say that the Harris cream gets quite hard at the bottom of the tub.

Brushes, I use Edwin Jagger.

Razors, Wilkinson Sword 3 bladed ones. But when we get out of lockdown I may try the old safety razors.

Aftershave none.

I've been using Wilkinson Sword of late, with Phillips electric razor 9000 series for my face. As close as a blade, but after year the battery life is not 100 minutes, more like 50. Still not bad.

I use aftershave, but after either after shave balm or cream. Put most it on my shirt.

You're a very naughty boy...!!!

He says 'nut' a colloquialism for head, not 'nuts', a colloquialism for...

Indeed, I did. If I was into shaving me balls, I would be getting someone to do it for me and I would be hanging out on a different forum to this.

I shave my head every other day. If I leave it longer and occasionally I do, it looks dreadful after 2 weeks. Like a mad professor look. I'm lucky I've got a head that can be fully shaven without looking like a skinhead thug, clone zone clone, or someone getting cancer treatment. The complete bald look can only really be pulled-off if you have a great head, as I do, don't mean to brag and boast. Think Telly Savalas, Yul Brynner and the Hood from Thunderbirds.

The shaving foam I've been using is De Vergulde Hand. Bought 5x 250ml tubes at the start of the lockdown the first one is still going strong.

I've been using Wilkinson Sword of late, with Phillips electric razor 9000 series for my face. As close as a blade, but after year the battery life is not 100 minutes, more like 50. Still not bad.

I use aftershave, but after either after shave balm or cream. Put most it on my shirt.

Indeed, I did. If I was into shaving me balls, I would be getting someone to do it for me and I would be hanging out on a different forum to this.

I shave my head every other day. If I leave it longer and occasionally I do, it looks dreadful after 2 weeks. Like a mad professor look. I'm lucky I've got a head that can be fully shaven without looking like a skinhead thug, clone zone clone, or someone getting cancer treatment. The complete bald look can only really be pulled-off if you have a great head, as I do, don't mean to brag and boast. Think Telly Savalas, Yul Brynner and the Hood from Thunderbirds.

The shaving foam I've been using is De Vergulde Hand. Bought 5x 250ml tubes at the start of the lockdown the first one is still going strong.

I found fxh's mischievous little edit funny and, interesting. Interesting because following posters didn't check the original post and believed fxh's edit.

There's a lesson there...

maybe his lady likes em smooth? don't judge. hey i clipper my jewels and pits. a bear's got to keep it hygienic.

I totally understand trimming or shaving your tackle - improves your odds of receiving a bj and all that. But why your armpits?

Armpit manscaping is actually important for some. Especially in humid weather, aids in body odour control, looks better, feel better.

I totally understand trimming or shaving your tackle - improves your odds of receiving a bj and all that. But why your armpits?

Armpit manscaping is actually important for some. Especially in humid weather, aids in body odour control, looks better, feel better.
correct. its hot and humid and i'm hirstute. ive found that i smell less and sweat less with proper application of deodorant/antiperspirant. remember anti-perspirant works by stopping up the pores in the skin so you don't sweat. if its stuck in your hair and never touches skin its not able to do its job as well.

admittedly i only take the clipper or razor to them once every 3-4 weeks, but that helps a ton.

I feel like Magnum PI sets the standard. More hair the better.

Of course as a cyclist I shave my legs, so I have little room to talk.

Why do you shave your legs?

Oh. It's a cycling thing. Various reasons. Road rash and massage the biggest. Personally I didn't shave until I got regular massage because it's makes a humongous difference in comfort. I've found it's a shit load cooler in the summer as well. But other than massage I wouldn't do it because it's a royal pain in the ass.

I use an Edwin Jagger safety razor with Vostok blades - works well enough. I struggle to get a clean shave with Astra and I agree, Feather is too sharp.

I went to Biotherm when Clinique fell behind them, about 18 years ago now.

I got my Rockwell 5S on the mail yesterday, best shaving of my life.

I regret been using gilette 1 use all my life, expensive and bad.

Is it made in Canada or only designed?

How is me buying non European stuff?

Now I want soaps with no smells since I am alergic to chemicals.

Opinions on those vintage looking bottles as old taylor, and eyeitalian things?

here I love the design of this unkown things

do not want to smell as crompter’s butts.

Being recommended an expensive German brand called Speick ( no pun intented) since are odor free.

Right here

Want to merge?

Who unmod blocked me of that link? When was it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom