Outfit inspirations

Panama

Being of unoriginal thought, I draw inspiration from others...

JFK Summer
Apparently Pima cotton polo and Sea Island cotton chinos - they must have been expensive. With canvas sneakers, I am assuming Keds...

French Riviera
Light cotton or linen shirt with full length chinos and Espadrilles or loafers.

Military Winter
Submariner jumper and chinos, with leather desert boots and duffel coat.

Country Gentleman for peasant shooting
Tattersalls shirt and dark corduroys with a gilet.

Last edited:
Brioni produce a Sea Island cotton trouser but with 2% elastane. Why would you ruin the finest cotton in the world with garbage?...

At least their Journey trousers are 100% Sea Island cotton at £1,040.00

I was with you till the Dadcore. JFK Summer/French and or Italian Riviera are my go to summer thoughts. Though 50's USA tiki culture has been staging a bit of a comeback.

I was with you till the Dadcore. JFK Summer/French and or Italian Riviera are my go to summer thoughts. Though 50's USA tiki culture has been staging a bit of a comeback.
My humour obviously failed...

Varrries over time, but some combination of:

James Dean (vintage sunglasses, harringtons, sport coats, etc)
Vintage workwear and biker stuff (t-shirts, boots and denim)
Mid-1960s Mod, Rolling Stones. (suits and sports coats that still have street attitude)
Early Rat Pack (as above. Tailored clothing that is masculine and full of attitude)
A little military inspiration, without drifting into cosplay (submariner jumpers, aviator sunglasses, pea coats, Safari shirts, etc)
1980s indie and goth scenes
English country (jodhpur boots, tattersalls and tweeds - mostly because I’m not in England).
Australiana. If Im wearing shorts then I’m going all in on the shortest bloody shorts I can get. Strictly casual housewear

Being of unoriginal thought, I draw inspiration from others...

JFK Summer
Apparently Pima cotton polo and Sea Island cotton chinos - they must have been expensive. With canvas sneakers, I am assuming Keds...

French Riviera
Light cotton or linen shirt with full length chinos and Espadrilles or loafers.

Military Winter
Submariner jumper and chinos, with leather desert boots and duffel coat.

Country Gentleman for peasant shooting
Tattersalls shirt and dark corduroys with a gilet.
I'm digging a 1978 New York art rock 80s preppy and casuals look this summer i.e. bright beaming polos with chinos and I do have a pair of Adidas Spezials, but I only throw them in very rarely. I prefer Alden crepe and C&J's leather soles. The debate on polos hasn't quite been resolved on the other thread, but if you haven't got middle age spread and you've still got a v-shaped upper torso, you still look good with a slim custom fit RL polo. I'm 51 years old now and whilst I've still got the body, I'm going to take advantage of it. It's going to get increasingly harder to maintain it. But I've a few tricks up my sleeves on the fitness and diet front.

Military gear is always good in winter.

Brioni produce a Sea Island cotton trouser but with 2% elastane. Why would you ruin the finest cotton in the world with garbage?...

At least their Journey trousers are 100% Sea Island cotton at £1,040.00
Everything is going elastane, there's a reason.

Way too much to spend on cotton pants. You're only ever one spilled glass of red wine from ruination.

It may still be there, the Venice outlet village had a Brioni store in the early 2010's. At the time, I was only into the Ivy look, so didn't pay it much attention and stocked-up in the Brooks Brothers instead. That was before the Italians managed to wreck the brand.

I'm digging a 1978 New York art rock 80s preppy and casuals look this summer i.e. bright beaming polos with chinos and I do have a pair of Adidas Spezials, but I only throw them in very rarely. I prefer Alden crepe and C&J's leather soles.

Do you think you could provide examples of this “1978 New York art rock 80’s preppy and casuals look” you speak of?

The debate on polos hasn't quite been resolved on the other thread, but if you haven't got middle age spread and you've still got a v-shaped upper torso, you still look good with a slim custom fit RL polo.

I’ll explain it to you one more time: the “issue” on the other thread is claiming that an apple green RL polo and blue jeans is anything other than normcore for a middle aged white guy in suburbia - regardless of body shape.
There’s no crusade against polos, jeans, chinos, v shaped people, or middle aged white males.

FFS, go to my Instagram, you’ll see me wearing plenty of polos and jeans! Just not together, not in a shopping mall, and not apple green!

Now do you think you can stop with this nonsense?

i'm thinking Lou Reed crossed with early Brian Ferry?

1660384482016.jpeg
1660384511556.jpeg

i'm thinking Lou Reed crossed with early Brian Ferry?
That would be quite interesting, whilst Bryan Ferry was rocking pretty good at that time, he did have a thing for leather pants on his TOTP and touring at that time. Lou Reed had Street Hassle and the quite wonderful stream of conscious speeding off me tits live Take No Prisoners out in that year, but he still had a bit of a S&M heroin street chic going on too on the fashion front.

But nothing that fancy: it's the simple Chris Frantz I'm off to CBGB's look of polo shirt with chinos.

I look forward to seeing how everyone in this thread is incorporating their inspiration into irl, in the WAYWT thread.

I spent the day unclothed today apart from sox...

My kids just hit that age where they are telling me to put a shirt on or put some pants on, when I’m working around the house half-nekkid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom