Permanent regency dandy costume?

We do need an heir to Sebastian Horsley, but agreed for vast swathes of the country it would be a high risk style statement.

Did you ever read about the dresser of Jerry Hall who wanted the ultimate waspish waist and had reduced his waist by an incredible amount with corset training? That kind of freakishness whilst admirable for following one's individual path to aesthetic goals, can only exist in certain metropolitan bubbles where everything is permitted.

I know the bloke. Despite the rosy picture painted by the report, he gets a lot of abuse over his dressing-up. He was even assaulted a a few times.

Is this not just an English version of Tibor, albeit influenced by an earlier period?
Top hat and tails to visit the ice cream parlor?

Cool. I wonder about if he exercises and in what clothing (did men really exercise much then?). And if he brings a phone around with him as well.

Is this not just an English version of Tibor, albeit influenced by an earlier period?
Top hat and tails to visit the ice cream parlor?

Not quite. He actually makes period costumes for a living. Part of the reason he wears them is to dispel the myths about them being uncomfortable etc.

Yes. I should point out that he is gay. Not everyone's as broad-minded as the members of this forum.

I guess I can see the gay/costume combo triggering some chavs, but still seems over the top to beat the guy.

I've always quite liked a lot of the cuts on Regency coats and such. And the cravats.

I guess I can see the gay/costume combo triggering some chavs, but still seems over the top to beat the guy.

Unprovoked beatings are quite common here in Europe. Just look at Lee Pomeroy. Chilling video, but I've had it done to me, just short of the stabbing.

Not quite. He actually makes period costumes for a living. Part of the reason he wears them is to dispel the myths about them being uncomfortable etc.

He carries it off well, which I think is key in this sort of thing. Certainly, he looks like a dandy, but he is, and he's not making any pretensions otherwise. The fact that he's quite good-looking and comes across as confident but also charming and pleasant, with a sense of humour, helps enormously.

Unprovoked beatings are quite common here in Europe. Just look at Lee Pomeroy. Chilling video, but I've had it done to me, just short of the stabbing.

Yeah, but you are the Untermensch, you have it coming.

At least you aren't in America, we just outright shoot people.

Yeah, but you are the Untermensch, you have it coming.

At least you aren't in America, we just outright shoot people.

In America, you catch the killers and, in many cases, you put them to death. Good. In Europe, not only do we find the killers not guilty, we often charge the victims with hate crime, or excessive self-defence.

The Daily Mail are running with a piece on him now:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...5-shuns-current-fashion-dress-1820s-gent.html

A good marketing gimmick for his business, but it's not really anything other than period fancy dress. Whilst anything that cuts against the grain of ubiquitous logo street wear or the bland drab year zero social conformity of our times is welcomed, it's not going to go anywhere is it?

The Brits had a great tradition of incoporating archaic modes of dress with the spark of the future. I'm thinking of the New Edwardians, the New Romantics and Malcom McLaren's proteges.

Can't say l am a fan of his straw hat or his tailoring skills. At least the lad isn't on the drugs or running wild in the streets at night.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom