Politics and menswear

Leitmotif

Eating his po boy w/oyster,petrosyan caviar,& gold
since we already have a thread about why democracy sucks and monarchy is great, why not have one about politicians? I know italians will more than likely destroy this thread but lets give it a try!

I like Mike Pence looks in this one.

Very american yet well done;

IMG_7285.JPG

since we already have a thread about why democracy sucks and monarchy is great, why not have one about politicians? I know italians will more than likely destroy this thread but lets give it a try!

I like Mike Pence looks in this one.

Very american yet well done;

View attachment 19005
Where is Sarto when you need him? Reagan pictures are needed!

Jagmeet Singh, provincial MPP. Has his own insta, does CM & SWD, plus is a true igent because he poses in front of graffiti
IMG_5839.PNG
IMG_5840.PNG
IMG_5841.PNG
IMG_5842.PNG
IMG_5843.PNG
IMG_5844.PNG
IMG_5845.PNG
IMG_5846.PNG
IMG_5847.PNG

Maxime Bernier, MP, known to lose top secret briefing documents. Prefers big-titted biker chicks and wears ties similar to Leitmotif Leitmotif
IMG_5850.jpg
IMG_5851.jpg
IMG_5852.PNG
IMG_5853.PNG
IMG_5854.JPG

Leit
IMG_5855.JPG
IMG_5849.jpg

Let's not start with italy... yet

here goes neapolitan bespoke austria; karl-heinz grasser, former minister of finance:

838985_m3w940h564q75v311_SHE_2448.jpg

karlheinz-grasser-finanzminister-oesterreich-porsche.jpg
11_news_mainframe_life_style_promistyle_starverwandlungen_karl_heinz_grasser_44.jpg
karl-heinz-grasser-wohnung-320445_e.jpg
Karl-Heinz-Grasser2.jpg
karl-heinz-grasser-geldstrafe-beleidigung-335922_e.jpg
vanityfair120090218131648.jpg
khg_vanityfair_2.jpg

Jacob Rees-Mogg, Posh British Conservative MP. Good DB game for a politico. One of the few who regularly dons one:
TMM27MOGG1_a_1065650c.jpg
images

rees-mogg.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

article-2295489-18A9EC7E000005DC-859_634x500.jpg

images
_69192111_69192110.jpg

The hell is this posing? Send the photographer to London Tower.

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 7.58.07 AM.png

Unfortunately they didn't know how to grow a chin.

Funny, must be a thing with all Poole clients. I guess the goatee is optional. :rofl:Both Giscard (3rd guy) and Balladur (4th guy) were/are clients. While Giscard looks like more standard English Poole for the era, Balladur's Poole is the most French looking Poole I have ever seen. Regardless Balladur is impeccable, the height of restrained elegance for a politician.

Mitterand was a Cifo client. Clearly more elegant than what they do today but still noticibly French in the shoulders.

Chirac was a caraceni client at some point, maybe he used others too, I don't know. But he always sort looked like a pimp or gangsta. All top style.

Funny, must be a thing with all Poole clients. I guess the goatee is optional. :rofl:Both Giscard (3rd guy) and Balladur (4th guy) were/are clients. While Giscard looks like more standard English Poole for the era, Balladur's Poole is the most French looking Poole I have ever seen. Regardless Balladur is impeccable, the height of restrained elegance for a politician.

Mitterand was a Cifo client. Clearly more elegant than what they do today but still noticibly French in the shoulders.

Chirac was a caraceni client at some point, maybe he used others too, I don't know. But he always sort looked like a pimp or gangsta. All top style.

Why do French politicians use foreign tailors? They only speak French, they only drive French cars, they only eat French food, but their clothes are British? Not very chauvinistic of them. Imagine the outcry if the public had found out.

Why do French politicians use foreign tailors? They only speak French, they only drive French cars, they only eat French food, but their clothes are British? Not very chauvinistic of them. Imagine the outcry if the public had found out.

Maybe because their tailors are so freaking expensive!!! But the finishing, the finishing! The French finishing on tailored garments is sui generis, the suit scientists tell me. Granted if you dropping upwards of 5K, spending 6-7k is not that a big deal and the french tailors clientele seems to be made up of African dictators/ Arab Sheikhs/ Russian Oligarchs and Chinese businessmen who order suits by the dozen!

Then again, maybe it is the cran parisien/ frogmouth notch/ bocca di lupo or the damn aggressively roped shoulders, the french are egalitarian, the shoulders scream aristo and patriarchy!

Remember they had a revolution! One cannot have a revolution with puffed-up shoulders.

Last edited:
Maybe because their tailors are so freaking expensive!!! But the finishing, the finishing! The French finishing on tailored garments is sui generic, the suit scientists tell me. Granted if you dropping upwards of 5K, spending 6-7k is not that a big deal and the french tailors clientele seems to be made up of African dictators/ Arab Sheikhs/ Russian Oligarchs and Chinese businessmen.

Then again, maybe it is the cran parisien/ frogmouth notch/ bocca di lupo or the damn aggressively roped shoulders, the french are egalitarian, the shoulders scream aristo and patriarchy!

Remember they had a revolution! One cannot have a revolution with puffed-up shoulders.

I doubt the clientele of British tailors is significantly different. Not many people can afford to/want to drop £3k-5k on a suit.

Hardly an expert on this subject but here are some thoughts:

Well there were many politicians who use/used French tailors. Today it would certainly be hard wearing British bespoke and running for office, but this is also probably the case in the UK and the rest of the world. Wearing any bespoke today probably isn't advisable. Today François Fillon still wears Arnys bespoke, but most probably wear industrial mtm (from french brands made in italy) or RTW.

But why did some French politicians prefer British tailors. Well for most of the 20th century serious men's dress was dominated by le style anglais. The Brits invented it and they had the most famous tailors (and best tissue). It was a style that was sober, dignified and elegant. The French were hardly the only ones enamoured with it. Even today certain Nothern Italian noble familys are still dressed by Poole. But for the most part those days are over.

Also worth noting is that both Poole and Caraceni (the two foreign tailors mentioned above) had outposts in Paris at one time (like Cifo who were originally a Roman based tailor). Even though both of their Paris outposts closed they had a long history of serving French clients right up until this day. Anyway Camps was Spanish and De Luca was italian. France has always been traditionally a mecca for female style and fashion. The french bespoke style which we now associate with Africans and Middle Easteners was probably always looked at as a more showbiz and more flash style than Savile Row. The price had nothing to do with politicians not wearing it.

One French tailor rarely mentioned which probably dressed more french politicians than any other (including de Gaulle) Stark and Sons, was known as the "tailleur de la Republic", has an english name and an english style, no funny shoulders or fish mouths, strict british style bespoke. The business was recently bought by Camps after the third generation died.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom