Quotes of the Week

John Lee Pettimore III

Supporter
I have a metric assload of quotes I've saved over the years. Some capture an ideal of mine quite well, some talk about sex or poop in a way that makes me giggle, others are just beautiful pieces of language. Gonna pop out five a week on here to educate y'all and shit like that. The five for the coming week are:

“It is a tale told by an idiot; full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” MacBeth. William Shakespeare. Quite appropriate for the beginning of this thread.

“Love beauty; it is the shadow of God upon the universe.” Gabriela Mistral.

“Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will.” Martin Luther King.

“All are born with halters round their necks; but it is only when caught in the swift, sudden turn of death, that mortals realize the silent, subtle, everpresent perils of life.” Herman Melville, Moby Dick

“I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.” Nick Cave.

“We, in this country, in this generation, are -- by destiny rather than by choice -- the watchmen on the walls of world freedom. We ask, therefore, that we may be worthy of our power and responsibility, that we may exercise our strength with wisdom and restraint, and that we may achieve in our time and for all time the ancient vision of "peace on earth, good will toward men." That must always be our goal, and the righteousness of our cause must always underlie our strength. For as was written long ago: "except the Lord keep the city, the watchmen waketh but in vain."” John F. Kennedy – the speech he was to give the day after he died in Dallas.

“John Lennon sings about peace because he’s a woman-beater. Hippies are so full of shit.” Mark “E” Everett.

Tomorrow we shall meet,

Death and I-

And he shall thrust his sword into one who is wide awake.

-Dag Hammarskjold

"Hitler didn't snub me—it was FDR who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram." - Jesse Owens

“”You remember when we used to go down to Bloy’s to try to pick up girls? That’s where he met her at. Camp meetin. That’ll make you ponder the ways of God. He asked her out and she told him she wouldn’t go out with a man that drank. He looked her straight in the eye and told her he didn’t drink. She like to fell over backwards. I guess it come as something of a shock to her to meet a even bigger liar than what she was. But he told the naked truth. Of course she called his hand on it. Said she knew for a fact he drank. Said everybody in Jeff Davis County knew he drank and drank plenty and was wild as a buck. He never batted an eye. Said he used to but he quit. She asked him when did he quit and he said I just now did. And she went out with him. And as far as I know he never took another drink. Till she quit him of course. By then he had a lot of catchin up to do. Tell me about the evils of liquor. Liquor aint nothing.“ Cities of the Plain. Cormac McCarthy

“Your kind cannot bear that the world be ordinary. That it contain nothing save what stands before one. But the Mexican world is a world of adornment only and underneath it is very plain indeed. While your world – he passed the blade back and forth like a shuttle through a loom – your world totters upon an unspoken labyrinth of questions. And we will devour you, my friend. You and all your pale empire.” Eduardo the Pimp Cities of the Plain. Cormac McCarthy

"Whatever you do in life, make sure to surround yourself with smart people who will argue with you." John Wooden

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” Frank Sinatra

“What kind of a goalkeeper is the one who is not tormented by the goal he has allowed? He must be tormented! And if he is calm, that means the end. No matter what he had in the past, he has no future. “Lev Yashin

“If physical death is the price that I must pay to free my white brothers and sisters from a permanent death of the spirit, then nothing can be more redemptive.” Martin Luther King.

“And the answer, said the judge. If God meant to interfere in the degeneracy of mankind would he not have done so by now? Wolves cull themselves, man. What other creature could? And is the race of man not more predacious yet? The way of the world is to bloom and to flower and die but in the affairs of men there is no waning and the noon of his expression signals the onset of night. His spirit is exhausted at the peak of its achievement. His meridian is at once his darkening and the evening of his day. He loves games? Let him play for stakes. This you see here, these ruins wondered at by tribes of savages, do you not think that this will be again? Aye. And again. With other people, with other sons.

The judge looked about him. He was sat before the fire naked save for his breeches and his hands rested palm down upon his knees. His eyes were empty slots. None among the company harbored any notion as to what this attitude implied, yet so like an icon was he in his sitting that they grew cautious and spoke with circumspection among themselves as if they would not waken something that had better been left sleeping.” Blood Meridian. Cormac McCarthy

"What you seek you shall never find.
For when the Gods made man,
They kept immortality for themselves.
Fill your belly.
Day and night make merry,
Let days be full of joy.
Love the child that holds your hand.
Let your wife delight in your embrace.
For these alone are the concerns of man."
-The Epic of Gilgamesh

“I’ll be a park and thou shalt be my deer;
Feed where thou wilt, on mountain or in dale:
Graze on my lips, and if hills be dry,
Stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie.” Venus and Adonis. Shakespeare

“Well, I’m just about the best that ever lived. I wake up in the morning and piss excellence.” Ricky Bobby. Talladega Nights.

"Maybe," Mister Ernest said. "The best word in our language, the best of all. That's what mankind keep going on: Maybe. The best days of his life ain't the ones when he said 'Yes' beforehand: they're the ones when all he knew to say was 'Maybe.'" William Faulkner. Race at Morning

“As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool returns to his folly.” Proverbs 26:11.

“All the time you spend tryin to get back what's been took from you there's more goin out the door. After a while you just try and get a tourniquet on it.” No Country for Old Men

“The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life to poison the earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth... and kill!” from the movie Zardoz.

“What is it that in the Albino man so peculiarly repels and often shocks the eye, as that sometimes he is loathed by his own kith and kin! It is that whiteness which invests him, a thing expressed by the name he bears. The Albino is as well made as other men—has no substantive deformity—and yet this mere aspect of all—pervading whiteness makes him more strangely hideous than the ugliest abortion. Why should this be so?” Herman Melville, Moby Dick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom