Random Questions & Thoughts

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Ratings
How come people who have personalized license plates drive like fucking idiots?

"Joy 4 Al". No fucking joy when you drive 10 mph under the speed limit.

"Grammy" hey Grammy all I can see is a two sets of wrinkled knuckles in a 10 & 2 death grip on your steering wheel

"BMW 330ci" really, I wouldn't have known unless you put it on your license plate. Why not just flush $50 down the toilet instead?

"Niecee" hey Neicee, welcome to Canada, here were don't come to a complete stop in a merge lane; there are no oxcarts crossing the road like back home.

"J Wong" Wong way to drive over here my friend. Hurry up and get your degree and get the fuck back to where you came from

"Sweet" yep, my trailer ball left a sweet crack in you front bumper. Snow has been on the ground since November, you just realized it might be slippery?

Russell Street

King Of The Trolls
Supporter
Ratings
I read once that vanity plates meant that after you'd been raped on registration fees, you offered a reach around.
The best one I ever saw was possibly not even an actual custom plate
H8U 2DA

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Is this what dating has come to? I'm sitting at a Ramen place on a Friday night with a 641ml bottle of Asahi. I already did 70 units of alcohol this week so this is my idea of "staying in".

Caucasian bloke with Asian girl walk in.

Bloke: "I just came back from Japan. Ramen is my idea of clean eating..."

Girl: "I'm just going to have an iced tea. We can have something else later. Do you drink cocktails?"

Bloke: "No, I'm more a beer guy."

Girl: "So like what kind of beers do you like?"

Bloke: "Oh I like everything. Budweiser, Molson, Labbatt, Mill Street, Miller, Sam Adams. Maybe Stella, Heineken..."

(Sounds like someone just memorised a menu!)‎

Girl: "Have you ever had Erdinger? I like malty beers. Your list sounds domestic."‎

Bloke: "Beer is beer you know with slight differences in taste. But I like all beer. I suppose since I came back from Japan, I should like Asahi too."‎

Girl: "So where would you go next for vacation? Would you travel just to eat food?"

Bloke: "Nah, I would want to go to a place that's next to the ocean. Yeah, somewhere near the ocean is next on my list."

(Uhh, didn't you just go to Japan?)

Girl: "I like the beer by the waterfront here. The Amsterdam brewhouse. It's pretty cute. And now they fixed the whole place up, I haven't been to see it yet."

Bloke: "Yeah I used to pick up cases of beer from Amsterdam. "

(This epic long journey is one block southeast of me and I'm 12 minutes walking from the Ramen place)

Girl: "So next to the ocean like California?"

Bloke: "I'd like to go Australia and see the surf. I had a coworker from Australia. He had an accent and he was so much larger than life and drank a lot."

Girl: "Yeah those accents are crazy like the UK accent."

Bloke: "Ha - there was a UK coworker too and the Australian and him were best friends."

Girl: "It must be a Commonwealth thing. This competition to see who is the best country, UK, Australia, Canada..."

(obviously struggling to name more than that)

Bloke: "You know the British once ruled the world."‎

Girl: "Really? The whole world?"

Bloke: "Well most of it. Then they gave it all back."

Girl: "Oh yeah - Canada, Australia, Hong Kong.....that's a lot of places."‎

At this point I couldn't take it anymore, finished my bottle, got the cheque, took out my cigarettes and lighter and headed for the exit. No wonder there is a record number of single people in the world.‎

Journeyman

Supporter
Ratings
^ God, that would have been nausea-inducing. He sounds like a self-absorbed prat and she doesn't sound all that bright - but brighter than him.

John Lee Pettimore III

Supporter
Ratings
If someone on Facebook says "you should unfriend me if you have _______opinion", they should be unfriended regardless of whether you have that opinion or not. My Facebook timeline is strictly reserved for lame jokes, baby and food pictures I don't want to see, and quick news.

Algernon Crisp

Supporter
Ratings
I think you're being a bit harsh. That's a pretty neat summation of 400 years of imperial history he gave there.

Is this what dating has come to? I'm sitting at a Ramen place on a Friday night with a 641ml bottle of Asahi. I already did 70 units of alcohol this week so this is my idea of "staying in".

Caucasian bloke with Asian girl walk in.

Bloke: "I just came back from Japan. Ramen is my idea of clean eating..."

Girl: "I'm just going to have an iced tea. We can have something else later. Do you drink cocktails?"

Bloke: "No, I'm more a beer guy."

Girl: "So like what kind of beers do you like?"

Bloke: "Oh I like everything. Budweiser, Molson, Labbatt, Mill Street, Miller, Sam Adams. Maybe Stella, Heineken..."

(Sounds like someone just memorised a menu!)‎

Girl: "Have you ever had Erdinger? I like malty beers. Your list sounds domestic."‎

Bloke: "Beer is beer you know with slight differences in taste. But I like all beer. I suppose since I came back from Japan, I should like Asahi too."‎

Girl: "So where would you go next for vacation? Would you travel just to eat food?"

Bloke: "Nah, I would want to go to a place that's next to the ocean. Yeah, somewhere near the ocean is next on my list."

(Uhh, didn't you just go to Japan?)

Girl: "I like the beer by the waterfront here. The Amsterdam brewhouse. It's pretty cute. And now they fixed the whole place up, I haven't been to see it yet."

Bloke: "Yeah I used to pick up cases of beer from Amsterdam. "

(This epic long journey is one block southeast of me and I'm 12 minutes walking from the Ramen place)

Girl: "So next to the ocean like California?"

Bloke: "I'd like to go Australia and see the surf. I had a coworker from Australia. He had an accent and he was so much larger than life and drank a lot."

Girl: "Yeah those accents are crazy like the UK accent."

Bloke: "Ha - there was a UK coworker too and the Australian and him were best friends."

Girl: "It must be a Commonwealth thing. This competition to see who is the best country, UK, Australia, Canada..."

(obviously struggling to name more than that)

Bloke: "You know the British once ruled the world."‎

Girl: "Really? The whole world?"

Bloke: "Well most of it. Then they gave it all back."

Girl: "Oh yeah - Canada, Australia, Hong Kong.....that's a lot of places."‎

At this point I couldn't take it anymore, finished my bottle, got the cheque, took out my cigarettes and lighter and headed for the exit. No wonder there is a record number of single people in the world.‎

Algernon Crisp

Supporter
Ratings
I'm pretty sure decolonisation was involuntary mate.
Bankruptcy hastened the end, but the British were generally very reluctant imperialists who didn't much want an empire and never made any special effort to hang on to it.

Most of it was acquired by accident, or for non-imperial reasons. They wre very unlike the great empire builders of the past, or the great empires of modern times such as the Russians and Americans. Of course both of their empires are contiguous, which perhaps produces a different mindset.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
You'd have to split the discussion from the first empire where it was more a catch up with the Catholic powers with a haphazard like growth finally ending with the loss of the American colonies and a period of "splendid isolation" afterwards.

The second empire was more coordinated backed by an unchallenged Royal Navy and the development of a second generation of willing subjects who bought into the jingoism of Empire and Commonwealth; Jan Smuts, Lord Beaverbrook, the prolific Scottish builders and explorers - must be an Aussie or Kiwi in there too. Yes - there was always the constant moaning of the burden of civilising and good governance but I think the moaning is part of the national character.

I'm positive Louis Mountbatten didn't want to give a centimetre of profitable land up.

Algernon Crisp

Supporter
Ratings
You'd have to split the discussion from the first empire where it was more a catch up with the Catholic powers with a haphazard like growth finally ending with the loss of the American colonies and a period of "splendid isolation" afterwards.

The second empire was more coordinated backed by an unchallenged Royal Navy and the development of a second generation of willing subjects who bought into the jingoism of Empire and Commonwealth; Jan Smuts, Lord Beaverbrook, the prolific Scottish builders and explorers - must be an Aussie or Kiwi in there too. Yes - there was always the constant moaning of the burden of civilising and good governance but I think the moaning is part of the national character.

I'm positive Louis Mountbatten didn't want to give a centimetre of profitable land up.
The US War of Independence is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. A lot of them, like Cornwallis, weren't fighting - and why would they? It wasn't in their nature to be hypocrites.

There are always individuals who don't want things to end, obviously, but they're the minority. They were talking about Indian independence in the 1860s, and they meant to take it seriously. Not like when everything did end and they couldn't leave Africa and India and the rest fast enough. Bad job for the Africans (and the Indians too, Nehru ensured millions would be stuck in poverty with one stupid speech. He was so proud of it he had it printed up in a collection of his speeches, which just goes to show). Anyway, most of us are still puzzled as to why gangsters and psychopaths don't make good rulers, even when they come from the same tribe as their victims.

Canada was independent in the 1860s, Australia at the turn of the century. Most people these days don't know what peccavi means, and even those that do don't understand that he had Sindh and he had sinned, and the last bit wasn't just the cute translation from Latin. God forbid Napier had stayed in Abyssinia, even though the locals wanted him to - HMG would have had his hide off him.

We don't really learn history these days - most likely people never have done, it's too powerful and it wouldn't do to have the peasantry know the truth. History is really no different to entertainment - just propaganda disguised as something else. Very handy tool for those in charge, of course.

Algernon Crisp

Supporter
Ratings

John Lee Pettimore III

Supporter
Ratings
Random thought of today, inspired by this story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3172789/Kate-Moss-Jamie-Hince-s-marriage-over.html

Just how low can our celebrity-obsessed, entertaining ourselves to death culture go? Some haggard, dried up, leathery old tart splits up with...who the fuck is he, anyway?

And this is news, apparently. How? How does anybody care about this stuff?

What has happened to our societies?
Witness the Kardashians. Or the "hero" award for Jenner. Hollywood used to be for the outcasts, the troublemakers. Now it's just herding sheep.

Thruth

Ratings
I just had a flashback that I have suppressed for years. Damn that Appleton's is a great tool.

Circa 1992/93 , I was attached to the North Carolia State Department of environment health and natural resources. I was seconded to Washington DC because I was Canadian and had knowledge of socialized medicine systems. Hillary was on a health care reform kick as the First Lady. and Ken Thorpe from UNC was tapped to be her go-to consultant. So i was loaned to Washington to work on Hillary's first attempt at improving the healthcare system. Ultimately it failed to materialize.

But I apologize for my sleeping with the enemy. Please forgive me. But I did tell everyone that socialized medicine would suck in America

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Oh I was looking for a thread like this.

A couple of weekends ago I read about Jack Nicklaus in Time Magazine, the greatest golfer in terms of championships, and a man who competed from the 1960s to 1980s. What was his secret? Rather than worrying about his legacy, he said he just focused on the next golf shot, then the next hole, then the next game.

It sounds eerily similar to other advice. There was some self-help book that called for focusing on the present and now - what's in front of you. In the Dale Carnegie class, it was about creating "day tight compartments"; so in effect, focusing on one day at a time. In this mindfulness seminar I attended, the lecturer recommended a book - two minutes at a time? To pause and focus on thinking what to do for the next two minutes. Under extreme duress, a soldier is able to extricate himself from the brink by simply focusing on putting one foot in front of another until he traversed a great distance that an observer would believe is impossible given the conditions.

Perhaps the most extreme example was meeting the professor from New Zealand in the management training on DISC model at the beginning of the year. He was climbing up a mountain with his brother when he got injured. He was incapacitated and he couldn't make it back down. His brother told him to stay in this waystation cabin and he'd go down to get help. When the sun began setting, he knew he was in trouble because the temperature was dropping to subzero. His brother had a lot of the supplies so he had nothing to make a fire. The only thing there was a can of beer. He thought of drinking it and then fading away but he was determined to try to survive. At some point, every breath he took, he felt whatever warmth was left in his body would warm it up and then when he exhaled that warmth in his chest would disappear. For the rest of the night, he'd focus on just getting to that next breath, holding it in for as long as he could, and then repeating again. That was how he survived till the morning in negative centigrade weather until help arrived. His brother, on the other hand, died on the way down.

Some people at work wonder why I always seem to grasp the big visions or cope with change so well but I practise what those other people do. One battle at a time - and execute well and move on to the next one in the war. I'm never stressed that way or fretting till you're paralysed.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
After spending three days at a conference with this married woman, she wants to go to opera with me in black tie because her husband can't. She promise she will dress for it. Then we shared favourite Woody Allen movies, classical composers and British TV dramas.

It's almost too easy for me.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
After spending three days at a conference with this married woman, she wants to go to opera with me in black tie because her husband can't. She promise she will dress for it. Then we shared favourite Woody Allen movies, classical composers and British TV dramas.

It's almost too easy for me.
so can we add a new concubine to your roster?

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Do I need another?

Because I was out this week I have to circle back with one divorced, one divorced single mother, one married and one single next week. Hard to fit her in the schedule.

Never mind one wanted to see me before she went on her honeymoon.

Thruth

Ratings
Do I need another?

Because I was out this week I have to circle back with one divorced, one divorced single mother, one married and one single next week. Hard to fit her in the schedule.

Never mind one wanted to see me before she went on her honeymoon.
No, no, now we are adding cuckolded husband to the mix

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
Then what is the correct form?

They wife makes her husband a cuckold from consorting with Fwiffo?
That's what I'm getting at, I don't think there is a form of cuckolded that differentiates between the cuckoldee and the cuckolder.

Thruth

Ratings
That's what I'm getting at, I don't think there is a form of cuckolded that differentiates between the cuckoldee and the cuckolder.
Might be right. But I thought that cuckold was a term of derision so it would not be right that that would apply to Fwiffs

Thruth

Ratings
i thought it was a lifestyle, the inverse of which was hotwifing.
Cuckolded by his ex-wife, humiliated in his professional life, Gamby walks around school handing out detentions and expulsions, calling kids assholes, never bending the rules.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
Cuckolded by his ex-wife
so its a verb? my grammar escapes me so I can't think of the term for this, but if Fwiffo is the one causing the cuckold to take place, then he would have cuckolded the husband, because he's causing the action to the other party. fuck, i can't think of the term for this.

Thruth

Ratings
so its a verb? my grammar escapes me so I can't think of the term for this, but if Fwiffo is the one causing the cuckold to take place, then he would have cuckolded the husband, because he's causing the action to the other party. fuck, i can't think of the term for this.
I know, it is confusing. The wife cuckolds her husband. He can cuckhold himself if he is bent that way. I guess Fwiffs is a participant in the cuckolding.

Maybe InstaHate can provide direction based on his vast & twisted experience

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
I know, it is confusing. The wife cuckolds her husband. He can cuckhold himself if he is bent that way. I guess Fwiffs is a participant in the cuckolding.

Maybe InstaHate can provide direction based on his vast & twisted experience
the husband can be a cuckhold if has has it done to him and he can also be a cuckhold himself if this is a thing that he enjoys, because to be a cuckhold is to be one who enjoys the activity of having other men fuck his wife. the willingness of the husband has no impact on the grammar in this instance.

Thruth

Ratings
the husband can be a cuckhold if has has it done to him and he can also be a cuckhold himself if this is a thing that he enjoys, because to be a cuckhold is to be one who enjoys the activity of having other men fuck his wife. the willingness of the husband has no impact on the grammar in this instance.
Fucking cuckolds.

Top Bottom