Random Questions & Thoughts

Fwiffo

Supporter
From Wikipedia:
“For example, after the Battle of Brandywine, the British made a list the Continental Army prisoners whom they had captured, including their nationality. Of the 315 prisoners captured, only 82 of them (25%) were listed as having been born in America, with many of the rest having been born in England, Ireland and Germany. While white Americans mostly stayed home, the backbone of the army fighting for their independence was foreign born.”

Blimey the yanks outsourced their war of independence.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
The American military has always been made up of migrants. Until the past year, it was a one of the main pathways to citizenship for immigrants.

Fwiffo

Supporter
The American military has always been made up of migrants. Until the past year, it was a one of the main pathways to citizenship for immigrants.
I knew that from a 60 minutes documentary on how some Nigerians were serving in Iraq as a means to citizenship. That said I never thought the war for independence would be outsourced to foreigners. You would think if you felt so strongly about breaking away from the motherland you would spill your own blood for it. At least that's how the narrative was written by the founding fathers.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
In spite of the whole ‘plucky citizen-soldiers led by the brave George Washington’ narrative, it was mostly professional Prussian and French units that won battles against the Brits. Washington was a crap military strategist and the American troops were no match for the disciplined Brits.

The US army of the civil war was made up of Irish and German migrants looking for a new home.

European migrants fought the Korean War and undocumented Latinos fought for citizenship during the Viet Nam war.

A few years ago, it was was nearly all undocumented migrants enlisting in Southern California.

Fwiffo

Supporter
When you send out a wedding invitation - is it customary for the woman's name to be first then the man?

I thought it was male first.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
When you send out a wedding invitation - is it customary for the woman's name to be first then the man?

I thought it was male first.
Bride first is the tradition- maybe because her parents are paying.

Top Bottom