Random Questions & Thoughts

Where would I find an inexpensive poster print of the Albert Camus novel Le Peste (The Plague) for my office?

Thanks! Top ones are all ugly. Bottom is the one I was thinking of, but very expensive for any size bigger than a postcard. Le Merde!

Two men walk into a lift and as the door was closing a third man with a golf umbrella rushes to make it in. He turns to face the front and fumbles in his pockets for his keys whilst keeping the umbrella tucked underneath his arm. Every rustle for the key meant the tip of the umbrella was hitting the man behind him.

That man wanted to complain but fortunately it was the umbrella man's floor. He promptly left and the offended man turned to his companion and said something to the tune of, "I was so close to snapping at him for hitting me like that throughout our entire ride. Inconsiderate people can drive you mad."

His companion replies, "No, you made yourself mad. He was just poking at you with an umbrella."

You are responsible for your own feelings. You aren't responsible for other people's feelings. Other people are responsible for their own feelings.

How you choose to respond to something and how you wish to feel in a situation is only controlled by one person - you.

How you choose to respond to something and how you wish to feel in a situation is only controlled by one person - you.

I think it might be interesting taking a micro-drill through your urinary meatus whilst simultaneously taking a sledge-hammer to your foot knuckles. I expect you would be singing Kumbaya through the process whilst feeling real good.

I think it might be interesting taking a micro-drill through your urinary meatus whilst simultaneously taking a sledge-hammer to your foot knuckles. I expect you would be singing Kumbaya through the process whilst feeling real good.

I'm not interested in S&M.

What do you make of a guy who always goes into a cubicle and locks the door behind himself to piss? Even when all urinals are free. Anything other than super insecurity?

What do you make of a guy who always goes into a cubicle and locks the door behind himself to piss? Even when all urinals are free. Anything other than super insecurity?

One of my ex-directs did that. I don't remember what he exactly said - something about sanitation issues with urinals. To be honest, most public toilets are in terrible condition so I can't imagine how it's actually more sanitary.

I'm not sure he was doing it because he was worried his was smaller than the other blokes. After all, he was 6' tall.

Social etiquette advice.

I trade Christmas cards every year with this one guy. I knew him a bit in high school and then he attended the same university as me. He dropped out and became some religious/social worker type person and honestly I haven't seen him in probably ten years now. He just had a baby. He married a woman that came with another kid. Instead of a Christmas card he gave me a card with some photographs of the baby, couple and the bastard. Is it expected I send him a token gift? Baby rattle?

Social etiquette advice.

I trade Christmas cards every year with this one guy. I knew him a bit in high school and then he attended the same university as me. He dropped out and became some religious/social worker type person and honestly I haven't seen him in probably ten years now. He just had a baby. He married a woman that came with another kid. Instead of a Christmas card he gave me a card with some photographs of the baby, couple and the bastard. Is it expected I send him a token gift? Baby rattle?
just send a card

He sends a card and I send a card back without any money or anything? It seems Victorian.
these breeders will consistently expect something from you in exchange for shitty updates about their mewling brat. best not set precedent.

these breeders will consistently expect something from you in exchange for shitty updates about their mewling brat. best not set precedent.
Rambo - you setting up a new business as a sympathetic ear/counsellor for hire?

Apparently at my club you can get the bartender to handwrite "1 large smokes" and you go to the girl in the front and she'll hand it over to you on your account.

If your spouse, significant other or partner is ill during temperate lovely sunny weather, is it okay to sleep in a separate room or kick them out of yours?
Self-preservation and everything.

"John Lawson Thornton arrived in London last week on Barrick’s Gulfstream V jet – flying commercial is not his style. A tennis fan, he had been at the U.S. Open in New York, where he saw Novak Djokovic play. All three of his sons are tennis players; the youngest, Elisha, plays on the European junior circuit. His daughter, Alexandra, prefers horses. She is on the British national show-jumping team (the three oldest kids were born in the U.K. and have British passports).

Mr. Thornton is sitting in a private room on the second floor of the Pasley-Tyler club on Berkeley Square, in London’s Mayfair, one of the world’s wealthiest neighbourhoods. George Hamilton-Gordon, who would become British prime minister in 1852 and was forced to resign after taking the blame for the botched Crimean War, was one of the illustrious inhabitants of the 18th-century house. The building became a quiet retreat for executives in 1996. Its walls are covered with classic and modern art; the recent works include pieces by Damien Hirst, Banksy and Nick Walker.

Mr. Thornton fits well into the prim surroundings. He wears a trim, dark blue, two button suit, light blue shirt and conservative blue tie. He has an enviable mane, by now all grey. Every couple of minutes, he flicks his head back like a fashion model to clear the hair from his face. He speaks forcibly and never provides short answers – even to short, direct questions."

...is someone truly happy when he has all that? Would I be happy or simply wanting to crave for more?

...is someone truly happy when he has all that? Would I be happy or simply wanting to crave for more?

Really depends upon who you are - what your personality is like.

I know a few wealthy people ($10 million plus) who have a few nice houses in various spots around the world but who don't crave anything. They don't need more money, they don't need flash cars, they don't need name-brand clothes, fancy watches or first-class travel. One of them drives around in a second-hand Honda Prelude when he's in Australia and another has a Renault family van.

On the other hand, I've known wealthy people who never seem content. They need to acquire more, they need to show off their wealth by buying Ferrari and Mercedes cars, by showing off their possessions and lifestyles on Instagram and they seem to judge themselves by other people's perceptions of them and their wealth.

So it really just depends upon which camp you fall into - or whether you fall in-between the two to some extent.

Really depends upon who you are - what your personality is like.

I know a few wealthy people ($10 million plus) who have a few nice houses in various spots around the world but who don't crave anything. They don't need more money, they don't need flash cars, they don't need name-brand clothes, fancy watches or first-class travel. One of them drives around in a second-hand Honda Prelude when he's in Australia and another has a Renault family van.

On the other hand, I've known wealthy people who never seem content. They need to acquire more, they need to show off their wealth by buying Ferrari and Mercedes cars, by showing off their possessions and lifestyles on Instagram and they seem to judge themselves by other people's perceptions of them and their wealth.

So it really just depends upon which camp you fall into - or whether you fall in-between the two to some extent.

From what I read in that article he still isn't happy else why take on the largest gold mining firm in the world and try to turn it around when you were already top 5 in Goldman Sachs. I think materially I have everything I need. I can indulge without counting pennies when I want but I'm not always into excessive indulgence. It's just interesting people have this artificial cocoon (I don't fly commercial planes). How does that person relate to the common man on the street?

Anti-circumcision advocates are like the new antivaxxers.

Should I share a bathroom in an Airbnb or pay more to get a private one?

Should I share a bathroom in an Airbnb or pay more to get a private one?

I’ve spent a few years in barracks with shared bathrooms and it’s bearable, but surely you can afford to get your own? Is the price difference really that extreme??

I’ve spent a few years in barracks with shared bathrooms and it’s bearable, but surely you can afford to get your own? Is the price difference really that extreme??

I'm counting how much money to save for alcohol. The basement flat is more money but it's nowhere near any bars and I have to pick up the keys in person (which means not showing up completely sloshed).

there you go ...

I think materially I have everything I need. I can indulge without counting pennies when I want but I'm not always into excessive indulgence.

I'm counting how much money to save for alcohol. The basement flat is more money but it's nowhere near any bars and I have to pick up the keys in person (which means not showing up completely sloshed).

this can be tricky, though

IMG_20181017_2100093.jpg

So if I identify as trans I can beat either the men's or women's queues.

Benelux means Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg.

Are you allowed to drive if you're deaf?

Yesterday I got into an Uber with someone whom I think is deaf. Usually Uber warns you when a driver has possible disabilities. This bloke was so deaf he had issues pronouncing words. He's driving in residential areas higher than the speed limit and often misses what I think are audio cues. Thankfully he had his GPS at minimal volume unlike those with hearing who need it blasted at them at every turn and juncture.

I'm on vacation for the first time since October 2017. I spent 13 hours at work wrapping things up. I have Wednesday till Monday off including the weekend. I worked on the entire commute home and I still had my work laptop on my kitchen counter for an hour after I came home. After I finally shut it off I found myself still checking my work mobile. I turned that off and decided to go down to a bar but I realised I forgot my Bluetooth headphones. Then I wondered why I would need them since I am technically not doing any conference calls.

I'm a bit at a loss. I don't have to think or worry about work for two plus years. I hardly know what it feels like.

I'm confused as to what work you do that's so consuming. You sure you aren't micro managing and doing "busy" work?

I'm confused as to what work you do that's so consuming. You sure you aren't micro managing and doing "busy" work?

I'm in insurance. In the back office pushing paper around. Glamour and glitz I tell ya.

Well if you only became insurance man of the year, they might buy you a Segway or something like that to help you push that paper around faster and then you might be able to have a life!

If you constantly work more than a couple of hours each day (actual, meaningful, productive work) and do weekend work, take no vacation etc. you are most likely not very good at what you are doing. You claim to be some type of low/mid-level manager ffs. How about you start with taking control and first of all manage your workday. If find it hard to imagine that you are capable of leading other people if you can't even keep your own shit together.

Well if you only became insurance man of the year, they might buy you a Segway or something like that to help you push that paper around faster and then you might be able to have a life!

If you constantly work more than a couple of hours each day (actual, meaningful, productive work) and do weekend work, take no vacation etc. you are most likely not very good at what you are doing. You claim to be some type of low/mid-level manager ffs. How about you start with taking control and first of all manage your workday. If find it hard to imagine that you are capable of leading other people if you can't even keep your own shit together.

Cheers. I'll remember to de-select you for the 360 degree reviews.

My co-worker said after she drove by a foot clinic her daughter remarked how that was offensive because there are people in the world without feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom