Random Style Thoughts

belinmad

Damn Tacky Big Collar Daddy
Supporter
he took the coward's way out and by coward's way i mean whining to the mods about having his posts deleted and making a crying piss baby exit.
Pity. He provided food entertainment value

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Pity. He provided food entertainment value
time feeding GIF

😁

Otto

I've discovered that casual jackets (Harringtons, M65s, barn coats, etc.) in olive drab look good and perhaps even best paired with stone/cream colored trousers. Khaki trousers verge too much into military costume for my taste, but lighter shades beautifully temper those associations. A darker shirt or sweater, such as a navy turtleneck, really pops with this combo, too.

Sauce

I've discovered that casual jackets (Harringtons, M65s, barn coats, etc.) in olive drab look good and perhaps even best paired with stone/cream colored trousers. Khaki trousers verge too much into military costume for my taste, but lighter shades beautifully temper those associations. A darker shirt or sweater, such as a navy turtleneck, really pops with this combo, too.
Chambray shirt goes well.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I thought this was a really interesting post

Thanks guys. I get that but going from suit and tie to American farmer seems quite the change.

These days they are equally cosplay in many circles, though I do get what you mean.

Covid has certainly accelerated things but even before there were people going from suit and tie to some sort of Ninja or whatever.

And back again. Our man Pauly has long been comfortable wearing drop crotch goth ninja whatever with the best of them in the evening and then switching to classic menswear in the day.

People who jump from one style to the other just look like they are in search of an identity. But guys who take An interest in dressing well in the workplace and then have a radically different casual wardrobe are interesting. Is the latter more ‘authentic’ and the former pure uniform? Or is it dressing compartmentalised parts of their identities/lives.

I always expected people interested in clothing to wear a suit and tie for "deeper" reasons than just conforming to some kind of dresscode.

I’m curious what these deeper reasons would be? Traditionalism? Doghouse probably fits this category though - enjoying wearing a suit to social events when not required

Moving from formal to informal is understandable but changing your whole "style" seems a tad extreme for me.

Or maintaining more than one incongruent style: farmer John or factory John, Ivy League JFK and John Rambo cosplay.

My kids may not care at all about clothes, but I think it will be a very different era they grow-up in in terms of clothing as signifiers and uniforms.

Top Bottom