Random Style Thoughts

Y'know, I'm baffled, always have been, about the adulation Weller receives(d). I've never found him, his music, or anything he says interesting.

And that video hasn't changed that.

That's an example of Weller in his 80s style councillor prime: talking of his eclectic palate and sporting it at the same time. Bold colour schemes and a definitive 80s silhouette. Happy days!

That's an example of Weller in his 80s style councillor prime: talking of his eclectic palate and sporting it at the same time. Bold colour schemes and a definitive 80s silhouette. Happy days!

I just don't see it, I just see a bloke trying to be enigmatic, probably his idea of kool but just coming across as awkward. Its a common pose amongst rock stars to be fair.

His clothes are very much of their time, boxy suit &c...

Y'know, I'm baffled, always have been, about the adulation Weller receives(d). I've never found him, his music, or anything he says interesting.

And that video hasn't changed that.

On that I agree. The Jam had a few noteworthy songs and I guess he performs well live. Then again, so did my dog, Jack!

I just don't see it, I just see a bloke trying to be enigmatic, probably his idea of kool but just coming across as awkward. Its a common pose amongst rock stars to be fair.

His clothes are very much of their time, boxy suit &c...

Very much the 80s silhouette. I like it, it evokes my earnest youth.

On that I agree. The Jam had a few noteworthy songs and I guess he performs well live. Then again, so did my dog, Jack!

In the context of the quote: yes, Weller hasn't come across well in interviews in the main. TSC's film Jerusalem was embarrassing.

I've been at concerts were Weller was very mediocre, others where he delivered on the promise.

He's made a career out of his profession and there was a time when those 12'''s were coming out in 83/84/85 every 3 months, when some of us where taking note of Weller's and Talbot's style notes as apprentice Style Councillors.

No discussion on Pitti this year? :(

I been scrolling through Instagram photos, not as offensive as previous years.

Christ, what a moron. And this is a menswear writer, if you please.

I think that he's being a bit tongue-in-cheek, so as to emphasise how helpless we apparently are nowadays, in comparison to what we used to be able to do for ourselves.

I think that he's being a bit tongue-in-cheek, so as to emphasise how helpless we apparently are nowadays, in comparison to what we used to be able to do for ourselves.

Doesn't sound like tongue in cheek at all. In fact he goes on to project his own lifestyle onto the rest of us: we all throw away our stuff, we all throw away spare buttoms etc. A lot of these sartorial so-called journalists do it.

They seem to think their readership all inhabit their world of financial comfort and massive closets.

In fact he goes on to project his own lifestyle onto the rest of us: we all throw away our stuff, we all throw away spare buttoms etc.

Hmmm... I think that, in this day and age of disposable clothing, that *is* what most people do. I don't doubt that the vast majority of people ( fxh fxh excepted) have never darned a sock or knit up a hole in a jumper (or sweater, if you prefer).

Nowadays, they simply can't be bothered. Throw it away and get another one. Or perhaps wear it around home, rather than wearing it out somewhere.

Hmmm... I think that, in this day and age of disposable clothing, that *is* what most people do. I don't doubt that the vast majority of people ( fxh fxh excepted) have never darned a sock or knit up a hole in a jumper (or sweater, if you prefer).

Nowadays, they simply can't be bothered. Throw it away and get another one. Or perhaps wear it around home, rather than wearing it out somewhere.

No, no, no, Journeyman Journeyman , the proper response to Untermensch Untermensch would be something like:

Untermensch Untermensch , what's wrong with you you stupid motherfucker? on his blog and on both forums: ask andy and styfo DW told everyone that he has to sell his watch to fund his life incl. bespoke orders, special cloth runs, etc. later on he had to reveal that he blew Fok, who is bloody rich.just in case you missed this part in DW's story, just shut the fuck up, you bloody asshole.I really can't remember a guy, who is more tiresome than you, good lord.

I stitch up holes in my socks and jumpers. I wouldn't call it darning, more of the squashed beetle school of sewing. But yeah, most people would just chuck stuff now.

I'm actually going to the Lost Trades 2 day Show in March. http://losttrades.info/

Theres a growing interest ion Mend it/Fix It Cafes here and in the states.

In addition I have been a bit involved in the "Right To Repair" Movement. And theres an increasing number of legislative wins there. doghouse doghouse is probably familiar through law cases on tractors and sophisticated farm harvesting equipment.

I do have trouble with the feral Greeny dreamy eyed idealists but I do maintain theres a substantial case to be made for all the above activities.

I'm home alone and doing a bit of wardrobe sorting.

I have 25 pairs of underpants and 13 pairs of my OTC socks are either red, burgundy or pink.

I have 5 overcoats.

I've been pondering this recently too. M. Guehenno says it better than I.

1552856031696.png

Charcoal toothpaste may not be a dumb hipster fad. I’m trying a tube and it seems to be whitening my teeth more than the usual stuff.

Really?? Which brand?

Speaking of cosmetics,. I been using a charcoal facial mask recently, let's see what happens.

Crest. Jury is still out, but it seems to be working more than regular.

Full disclosure: I’m a bit ocd about teeth bleaching. I apply strips fairly regularly.[/QUOTE]

Really? I have always found this fascinating about the Americans. How regular? What strips...

I appreciate the summary and writing style.

... it also reminds me of a full laundry basket with pieces waiting to be mended, huh

No, no, no, Journeyman Journeyman , the proper response to Untermensch Untermensch would be something like:

Untermensch Untermensch , what's wrong with you you stupid motherfucker? on his blog and on both forums: ask andy and styfo DW told everyone that he has to sell his watch to fund his life incl. bespoke orders, special cloth runs, etc. later on he had to reveal that he blew Fok, who is bloody rich.just in case you missed this part in DW's story, just shut the fuck up, you bloody asshole.I really can't remember a guy, who is more tiresome than you, good lord.

Last edited:

Most people imagine it works. Toothpaste is not the best vehicle for whitening. Not enough contact time.

The best OTC product bang for the buck is Crest Whitestrips.

Otherwise a custom whitening tray + syringes of carbamide peroxide bought from your dentist works best.

You can buy these online too except the consumer cannot make a proper custom tray out of the boil and bite trays that come with these kits.

Oh, and watch out for the added abrasiveness of charcoal toothpastes. A nice way to create sensitivity, enamel abrasion and gum recession.

But what do you expect when even Colagate tries to mine the internet fascination with whitening hacks. I'm less chuffed to base my oral health recommendations that start with people in India using sticks from a fire to rub their teeth with charcoal because they couldn't afford toothbrushes and tooth paste.

Replace your toothbrush with a Miswak while you are at it and dip it in piss like the Romans did.

Your dentist will be waiting for your call.

Really? I have always found this fascinating about the Americans. How regular? What strips...

Crest whitening strips from the supermarket. I pop a couple of strips on about once a week while I am at the gym (since I don't need to talk to anyone while there).

How tf did the safari jacket make a comeback amongst the iGent set?

Saw a vintage Schott in Houston over the weekend. I would have bought and tried to re sell except the store was asking 450. No profit to be made.
IMG_20190510_202413.jpg

I’ve seen them cheaper here. But boy are they heavy and useless.

I see DR in second hand shops here for around $100+ aud

Last edited:
Looks good while riding an actual motorcycle. Otherwise a basic cafe racer jacket is a much better proposition for the rest of us.

What shop was that, Pauly Chase Pauly Chase ? Please tell me you weren’t in town for the needfest at the GRB.

Looks good while riding an actual motorcycle. Otherwise a basic cafe racer jacket is a much better proposition for the rest of us.

What shop was that, Pauly Chase Pauly Chase ? Please tell me you weren’t in town for the needfest at the GRB.

It a vintage store/thrift shop off Westheimer by Le Labo, I cannot remember the name of the store. I was in Houston for Mother's Day weekend. The rain put a damp on many of our activities.

A mucca of mine bought one back in 1989/90. It didn't suit him as he was just another 18/19/20 year old kid and he was definitely no punk, Lord of Flatbush or The Wild One. He took some flak which was a bit sad, especially as his sister committed suicide a couple of months later after being ditched by her boyfriend and doused herself in petrol and lit a match. I often wonder what happened to him as he has no discernible LinkedIn or social media presence. He took a degree in Criminology we scoffed at, but not now, I do hope he's done well and had his share of adventure:

I have a high school friend that has disappeared off the face of the earth. I hope he’s out there somewhere.

Part of the problem with these jackets is that they don’t sit well unzipped, I think. Zipped and off a bike just looks odd.

I bought a cheap Asian knock-off biker jacket in the mid 1980s, trying to look like I was in the Jesus and Mary chain or something . I’m sure I looked like the 14 year-old pasty goth who couldn’t ride a motorcycle that I was.

Those Double Riders can look good if you are posing in an album photo - al la Ramones or Spingsteen or occasionally look good on stage. Unless you are posing they are heavy, impracticable and don't look all that great. As for riding a bike there are much much better technical material out there now. I've seen the ones with air bags in them too - amazing
1558052583172.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom