Random Style Thoughts

I think the sleeveless cardi has replaced the waistcoat for the modern fashionable dresser. Still ok of course worn as part of a suit but otherwise their a bit of a no no these days.

I don’t know anyone who sticks their hands in suit or sport coat jackets like this. It is anatomically/ergonomically uncomfortable and it will stretch the fabric and ruin the jacket. Yet ever second bugger on Instagram poses like this or the one hand in jacket teapot pose.

B2AEE6BF-817F-4428-B06F-9FE73B254BD5.jpeg

I don’t know anyone who sticks their hands in suit or sport coat jackets like this. It is anatomically/ergonomically uncomfortable and it will stretch the fabric and ruin the jacket. Yet ever second bugger on Instagram poses like this or the one hand in jacket teapot pose.

View attachment 42483

This is actually an interesting topic for me
Over the years I noticed that English and Italian tailors cut jacket fronts and place pockets in an entirely different way. The Italians make this posture much more comfortable and natural, and it’s not uncommon to see folks in Milan or Naples walking with their hands in their jacket pockets during Winter.

Douglas wearing a Dalcuore Neapolitan jacket.

Another Dalcuore

Orazio Luciano

Panico

Another Panico

My Panico blazer has this very comfortable placement too. Don’t have good pictures though

There was a whole discussion a long time ago I think in London Lounge or Styleforum on I think King Edward as someone who would have their tailors adjust pocket placement to make the walking posture more comfortable.

1642148554437.jpeg

1642148573551.jpeg

1642148622431.jpeg

I liked the idea of finding a pocket placement that would naturally lend itself to walking and resting the hands in the pockets without stretching the suit too much or looking like you are playing with your dick.

My tailor and I measured pocket placement across a few of my jackets, Italian and English, and the differences are significant. English ones force you to have your hands higher and towards your hips (chicken wings), whilst Italian are lower and closer to the crotch (cover your noble parts?). I then asked him to cut me an English-style 6x1blazer, with soft structure, and the “walking pocket stance” placement.

I have never in my life put one or both hands in a jackets pocket(s) when I have had an overcoat on. Anyone walking around like that needs a slap.

This is actually an interesting topic for me
Over the years I noticed that English and Italian tailors cut jacket fronts and place pockets in an entirely different way. The Italians make this posture much more comfortable and natural, and it’s not uncommon to see folks in Milan or Naples walking with their hands in their jacket pockets during Winter.

Douglas wearing a Dalcuore Neapolitan jacket.

Another Dalcuore

Orazio Luciano

Panico

Another Panico

My Panico blazer has this very comfortable placement too. Don’t have good pictures though

There was a whole discussion a long time ago I think in London Lounge or Styleforum on I think King Edward as someone who would have their tailors adjust pocket placement to make the walking posture more comfortable.

View attachment 42485
View attachment 42486
View attachment 42487

I liked the idea of finding a pocket placement that would naturally lend itself to walking and resting the hands in the pockets without stretching the suit too much or looking like you are playing with your dick.

My tailor and I measured pocket placement across a few of my jackets, Italian and English, and the differences are significant. English ones force you to have your hands higher and towards your hips (chicken wings), whilst Italian are lower and closer to the crotch (cover your noble parts?). I then asked him to cut me an English-style 6x1blazer, with soft structure, and the “walking pocket stance” placement.

Interesting. I gotta admit, these still look unnatural and uncomfortable to me. I’d be more likely to stick my hands in the trouser pockets than the suit jacket, if I felt the need to warm them up (or touch my penis). Or the overcoat pockets, of course.

Prince Charles is also a fan of the hand in the jacket pocket, with thumb out, pose. Perhaps he inherited the habit from his great-uncle?

I just noticed that Prince Phillip used to do it, too:

tumblr_mvwjm5YkMC1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg

11%20the%20crown%20part%203%20prince%20charles%20wears%20suits%20like%20pajamas%20gq%20november%202020.jpg

Interesting. I gotta admit, these still look unnatural and uncomfortable to me. I’d be more likely to stick my hands in the trouser pockets than the suit jacket, if I felt the need to warm them up (or touch my penis). Or the overcoat pockets, of course.

As I mentioned - the traditional English pocket placement is incredibly uncomfortable (chicken wings), but in the modified one (or the Italian ones), it's actually quite comfortable (See my blazer pic or Prince Charles' DB one).

Prince Charles is also a fan of the hand in the jacket pocket, with thumb out, pose. Perhaps he inherited the habit from his great-uncle?

tumblr_mvwjm5YkMC1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg

11%20the%20crown%20part%203%20prince%20charles%20wears%20suits%20like%20pajamas%20gq%20november%202020.jpg
Well there’s a perfectly great reason to stop doing that.

As I mentioned - the traditional English pocket placement is incredibly uncomfortable (chicken wings), but in the modified one (or the Italian ones), it's actually quite comfortable (See my blazer pic or Prince Charles' DB one).

I still don’t see it from the pics, but I’ll take your word for it. I do see how with those longer jackets the pocket is lower - less chicken wings but also making it harder to get to the trouser pockets and put hands there.

That said, I’m still wondering what that does to the shape on the pocket? The Pillock I posted above is stuffing his ham fists into patch pockets, which can’t end well.

I still don’t see it from the pics, but I’ll take your word for it. I do see how with those longer jackets the pocket is lower - less chicken wings but also making it harder to get to the trouser pockets and put hands there.

That said, I’m still wondering what that does to the shape on the pocket? The Pillock I posted above is stuffing his ham fists into patch pockets, which can’t end well.

Another crotch protector on the insta.

1642467264687.png

I do this sometimes, it's something of a style move.
I tend to only place my left, never my right hand, lightly inside the top of the pocket. The hand shouldn't be pushing downwards and disrupting the drape of the coat, instead it should be covered just enough so onlookers can't see that I'm fiddling with my fingers when I'm walking without something to do with one of my off hand.
If both hands are in the pockets it lacks dexterity and can become dangerous.... so to speak. Also it pulls on the shoulders and distorts the silhouette of the coat.

The idea is that with the left hand resting slightly in the pocket it opens the slot for the pocket square ever so slightly and shows it off. Thus if a square is contrived flush with the pocket in TV format, then more can be exposed and shown. Yet when the hand is removed from the pocket the coat returns to it's normal position and the flush square becomes discreet once more.

I do this sometimes, it's something of a style move.
I tend to only place my left, never my right hand, lightly inside the top of the pocket. The hand shouldn't be pushing downwards and disrupting the drape of the coat, instead it should be covered just enough so onlookers can't see that I'm fiddling with my fingers when I'm walking without something to do with one of my off hand.
If both hands are in the pockets it lacks dexterity and can become dangerous.... so to speak. Also it pulls on the shoulders and distorts the silhouette of the coat.

The idea is that with the left hand resting slightly in the pocket it opens the slot for the pocket square ever so slightly and shows it off. Thus if a square is contrived flush with the pocket in TV format, then more can be exposed and shown. Yet when the hand is removed from the pocket the coat returns to it's normal position and the flush square becomes discreet once more.
is this what you think about when you're home alone and the power goes out?

is this what you think about when you're home alone and the power goes out?
What a fatuous remark. Honestly I don't think about the minutia of sartorialism once I've already commited it to writing in my archives somewhere.
Any dresser who has some modicum of skill writes and thinks about the theory of dressing, period.

What a fatuous remark. Honestly I don't think about the minutia of sartorialism once I've already commited it to writing in my archives somewhere.
Any dresser who has some modicum of skill writes and thinks about the theory of dressing, period.
What’s your take on burnt orange garments and accessories?

What’s your take on burnt orange garments and accessories?
Fucking lol

You’re going to fit in swimmingly

I’ve been waiting so long for someone to come along and truly master the art of dressing like a nonce.
Spoken like a true rookie fool. Rambo I'd hate to learn your age, I wouldn't be suprised if you've lived more then 20 adult years without learning the basics of how to truly finesse the cloth.
There is no art involved whatsoever, it's more of a regimented science.
You and Bongo head are likely of the same ilk, typical gronks with no knowledge of what's going on, just wearing clothes and thinking they're killing it.
I will certainly not be sharing any of the arcane side of dressing with an idiot like yourself, or the rest of this group now. You're spoiling it for everyone with your half-cock attitude. Rack off you flop gronk.

Spoken like a true rookie fool. Rambo I'd hate to learn your age, I wouldn't be suprised if you've lived more then 20 adult years without learning the basics of how to truly finesse the cloth.
You and Bongo head are likely of the same ilk, typical gronks with no knowledge of what's going on, just wearing clothes and thinking they're killing it.
I will certainly not be sharing any of the arcane side of dressing with an idiot like yourself, or the rest of this group now. You're spoiling it for everyone with your half-cock attitude. Rack off you flop gronk.
Dude you have shared nothing but gibberish. No pics of your inimitable style. The interweb pics you have posted to support your arguments are shite. We have chimps like you come along every once and a while and try to edumacate us.

From now on you are Floris II.

Put up or shut up.

He sounds smart... Look at the iGents, it all starts with the first post then vanity takes hold...

Suuure it does.. I'm no technophile, I can barely use an iPhone so I won't be uploading pics online any time soon
Of course. That is a common lame excuse from those that blow into forums and spew their expertise with no backup. You can't even back up what you say with random pics from the interwebz.

This pic you posted is something I would expect from someone who follows bellowing Antonio on He Shat Style or whatever that forum of low-end tacky profanators is called.
1643334953254.png

Of course. That is a common lame excuse from those that blow into forums and spew their expertise with no backup. You can't even back up what you say with random pics from the interwebz.

This pic you posted is something I would expect from someone who follows bellowing Antonio on He Shat Style or whatever that forum of low-end tacky profanators is called.
View attachment 42617
Surprising because that's a reasonable Trad Look, not perfect but at least decent. Sub out the tie for a black knit, and change the tan belt for a dark brown one or shell 8 and it would be sound. If Antonio's followers are posting this type of stuff then they're definately improving

I like to Floris nickname, it's got a nice wring to it.

Honestly I don't really care, some of the middle aged men on here are actually interested in learning more the sport of dressing well, they're the ones who get it.
Truth and the like clearly are crabs who only go sideways. Too bad, you could strive for perfectionism and always be open to learning more, or you can be a crab in a barrel.. Your loss really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom