Rugby Shirts

Sauce

Thinking about getting a couple in broad stripes. Thick with rubber buttons, though the buttons aren't a deal breaker. Quite a nice casual thing for autumn. under tweed or herringbone. Really don't wanna pay Drakes prices for one, can't see that theirs is going to be any better that a proper one made for purpose. Looking for something like this but am open to other styles pattern wise. Anyone got any tips?

abbf4b6172aeea9615681e2dd23b8711.jpg

f948855a6502d92e4df9c29c3480f8aa.jpg
Rugby-Shirts-Body-Image-2.jpg

It’s sportswear, so doesn’t look right ‘dressed up’ IMO.

Canterbury of NZ used to be the gold standard. I don’t know what they are like now, but the selection seems to have diminished.

Polo or one of the RL lines do a good slim rugby jumper, though they often have awful branding all over it. Rowing Blazers might be their successor.

Or go for something more authentic like a new vintage team jumper - from before the days they were covered in sponsorship.

Also, be warned that a lot of American brands do a ‘long sleeve polo’ that looks similar in pictures but is (as the name suggests) a thinner shirt.

Thinking about getting a couple in broad stripes. Thick with rubber buttons, though the buttons aren't a deal breaker. Quite a nice casual thing for autumn. under tweed or herringbone. Really don't wanna pay Drakes prices for one, can't see that theirs is going to be any better that a proper one made for purpose. Looking for something like this but am open to other styles pattern wise. Anyone got any tips?

View attachment 39235
View attachment 39236View attachment 39237
Not my cup of tea, but neither disagreeable.

Worn with jeans and desert boots, possibly a duffle coat on top = classic dadcore. Top top look.

About the only way you could pull it off over a shirt and tie is if you are giving off the vibe: ‘I woke up late with another strange woman in my bed and didn’t check the forecast. Pulled into work after speeding all the way in my sportscar and realized it’s cold. I reached under the back seat and found my trusty old rugger that I hadn’t taken out after Saturday morning practise with the lads.’

RL use to do great rugby shirts in the 90s, I had loads of them. I don't rate their designs or colour schemes now. So wouldn't know who to recommend.

Rugby shirts are something that should remain a historical notation to menswear. Again, been there, done the, no interest to do it again. It is lame casual to be left in the past.

Certainly creates a dissonance with tailored jackets even if casual.

But, works spectacularly with safari jackets, wellingtons with pants tucked in and a handkerchief worn on one's head.

Agree they don't look good over a tie. Trying to hard to look like your not trying but with a pair of cords or denim and winter weight coat in tweed bang on. Or a blue blazer with cotton trews in the summer I guess. Just slouchy enough for a saturday afternoon doss.

Thanks for tips, went for a navy and blue hooped job form Barbarian. Thanks Lobbster.
Just know these two, the latter allegedly make the rugby shirts offered by Drake's.

go H & M , C & A, GAP or the typical slavists shops that do that garments in Bangladesh and save the differences with Drakes, I am pretty sure will come from the same factories but at 200% or more the price.

go H & M , C & A, GAP or the typical slavists shops that do that garments in Bangladesh and save the differences with Drakes, I am pretty sure will come from the same factories but at 200% or more the price.
Drakes bought the company that makes their shirts a few years ago. Its in Somerset, England but I can't remember the name of it. Before they bought them out you could get a made to measure shirt by them cheaper than Drakes RTW. Not bad shirts tbf but not world beaters. Last couple of years it seems to have widened its appoach with products, all of which seems overprice. I mean, £200 for a rugby shirt? Come on, you must a mug to pay that. Clearly their putting money on products for the name.

£225? Not feeling it.

Drakes bought the company that makes their shirts a few years ago. Its in Somerset, England but I can't remember the name of it. Before they bought them out you could get a made to measure shirt by them cheaper than Drakes RTW. Not bad shirts tbf but not world beaters. Last couple of years it seems to have widened its appoach with products, all of which seems overprice. I mean, £200 for a rugby shirt? Come on, you must a mug to pay that. Clearly their putting money on products for the name.

£225? Not feeling it.
You mean Rayner & Sturges? I think you used to make for a few Savile Row/Jermyn Street outfits aswell.

You mean Rayner & Sturges? I think you used to make for a few Savile Row/Jermyn Street outfits aswell.
They bought R&S and Cleave of London who are based in Somerset. I have Cleave shirts, they were far less than a Drake's shirt.

Easy to forget Pete Townshend was a bit of a dresser in his youth looking at that pic. I remember theres a picture of Townshend from the 60s in a rugby top, green/wht hooped. It was on Jimmys bedroom wall in Quadrophenia, how do I remember that you might wonder. I watched that film over 100 times easy. My party trick in the mid 80s was to give the entire actors lines from any given scene.

Another snap of Micky boy in a rugger top.

1st-january-mick-jagger-from-the-rolling-stones-posed-news-photo-1598968361.jpg

BN-UP708_ODBO90_8H_20170809110458.jpg

Dave seemed to like them.

images.jpg

hockney.jpg

I can't think of another item that is never really in fashion or out of fashion, just always about. Dessies maybe?

Puts me in mind of those Benetton Rugby shirts that were popular back in the 80s, especially amongst birds.

One has to tread lightly here, especially combining the rugby shirt with the blazer. Redolent of the Tim Nice-But-Dim look.

Caution is recommended.

I've actually got a rugby shirt from the 80s still. It's stored in a bin in the attic I think.

I've actually got a rugby shirt from the 80s still. It's stored in a bin in the attic I think.

I don’t have my school rugby team jumper anymore, but I have my Leavers Class of 88 rugby jumper in a bin somewhere. Made by Canterbury of NZ.

Actually i have my university rugby shirt from the late 80s' beginning of the 90's i have not idea of what the composition is but it weights a tone. I am sure is not 100% cotton.

Easy to forget Pete Townshend was a bit of a dresser in his youth looking at that pic. I remember theres a picture of Townshend from the 60s in a rugby top, green/wht hooped. It was on Jimmys bedroom wall in Quadrophenia, how do I remember that you might wonder. I watched that film over 100 times easy. My party trick in the mid 80s was to give the entire actors lines from any given scene.

Another snap of Micky boy in a rugger top.

View attachment 39270
View attachment 39271

Dave seemed to like them.

View attachment 39272
View attachment 39273

I can't think of another item that is never really in fashion or out of fashion, just always about. Dessies maybe?
Hockney's always liked his bold primary colours.

Hasn't Quodrophenia 2, To Be Someone, come out yet?

Townshend was a bit like Peter Gabriel, he aged 20 years in 18 months.

Townshend has distanced himself from, To Be Someone. It looks woeful from the clips I've seen. I know some middle aged mods than look ok. Not my thing style wise these days but they do it well. Not many like that, most are still trying to do it on a 1979 clothes budget. I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks being a 50 year old+ man in a fused suit riding a Vespa decked out in targets and mirrors is a good look. Bit cringe as an ex mod myself. But you know, each to their own and all that.

To be fair Townshend has distanced himself from everyone, as Weller states ''He's not the type of person you go around to spend the evening with!'' I was hoping the ''sequel'' would be pretty good. Such is life. Daltrey was a good at acting an ageing Teddy.

Townshend has distanced himself from, To Be Someone. It looks woeful from the clips I've seen. I know some middle aged mods than look ok. Not my thing style wise these days but they do it well. Not many like that, most are still trying to do it on a 1979 clothes budget. I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks being a 50 year old+ man in a fused suit riding a Vespa decked out in targets and mirrors is a good look. Bit cringe as an ex mod myself. But you know, each to their own and all that.
Is Mod Forum still a thing?

I don't wear it, neither I probably will, but this looks nice:

Screenshot (522).png
Screenshot (523).png

Also interesting this hybrid style:

Screenshot (525).png
Screenshot (524).png

Both from Drake.

More Hockney:
hockney_1024x1024.jpg

Like this rugby top, except for the overly large Ralphy polo player and horse:

s7-1379600_lifestyle.jpg

Last edited:
how is the quality? Quite fancy the pumas shirt

The Harringtons for 45 squid have to be crap.
I have no idea. A football shirt worn by a grown man while not actually playing the game is a relatively new idea. It used to be just a scarf and a rosette.

That said, if I was forced to wear a football shirt I would choose an older version with no advertising. I have seen others wearing TOFFs shirts and they look like a good solid cotton garment.

If you want a Harrington then Ben Nevis offer good quality with proper raglan sleeves. Less than £45 too. I bought mine in their Camden Town shop. I tried Barrracuta but I don’t like them.

Last edited:
Combat Harringtons are good, but I’d still suggest paying a little more for JtG:

Combat Harringtons are good, but I’d still suggest paying a little more for JtG:

thank you, I didn't know the brand. I think that will buy a Fred Perry that is local to me and can try. they look like a solid make and the made in England models a step above the rest.

I have no idea. A football shirt worn by a grown man while not actually playing the game is a relatively new idea. It used to be just a scarf and a rosette.

That said, if I was forced to wear a football shirt I would choose an older version with no advertising. I have seen others wearing TOFFs shirts and they look like a good solid cotton garment.

If you want a Harrington then Ben Nevis offer good quality with proper raglan sleeves. Less than £45 too. I bought mine in their Camden Town shop. I tried Barrracuta but I don’t like them.

I was meaning the rugby shirt. I am sure belinmad belinmad already has it.

I am from Spain so wearing a football shirt is a big no-no from me. But rugby shirts are okay. Have a couple from Dubai and Hong Kong sevens but there is a new one every year and they are not cheap.

0018760_argentina-1982-85-vintage-rugby-shirt.jpeg

Interesting. I am not a super fan or anything but the one G9 I own has very good material relative to most other Harringtons I've come across.

Vintage Barracutas are good, but a really blousy fit even for a Harrington. The new ones are ridic overpriced for the quality, IMO.

JtG are excellent. Fred Perry and Ben Sherman use their own tartans and miss a few classic details but are solid. Merc would be my recommendation if they had a raglan sleeve- the fabric on the outer shell is nice and the fit is spot on. The Lambertta I had was ok, but it looks like their new models have improved a lot over the years.

thank you, I didn't know the brand. I think that will buy a Fred Perry that is local to me and can try. they look like a solid make and the made in England models a step above the rest.

I was meaning the rugby shirt. I am sure belinmad belinmad already has it.

I am from Spain so wearing a football shirt is a big no-no from me. But rugby shirts are okay. Have a couple from Dubai and Hong Kong sevens but there is a new one every year and they are not cheap.

0018760_argentina-1982-85-vintage-rugby-shirt.jpeg
I do have one, indeed 😁
As I do for the National team too - just wear it if we are watching a big game somewhere

Vintage Barracutas are good, but a really blousy fit even for a Harrington. The new ones are ridic overpriced for the quality, IMO.

JtG are excellent. Fred Perry and Ben Sherman use their own tartans and miss a few classic details but are solid. Merc would be my recommendation if they had a raglan sleeve- the fabric on the outer shell is nice and the fit is spot on. The Lambertta I had was ok, but it looks like their new models have improved a lot over the years.
I have a Lambretta Harrington for kicking around in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom