Sartorial Stories In The News

The parent company of both popular mall mainstays, L Brands, said it expects to close about 250 Victoria's Secret locations in the U.S. and Canada. About 51 Bath and Body Works stores are also eyed for closure.

Ololo. Do you think Grail's deep dive on their sales stats actually is a reflection of the USA luxury brand buying?

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 4.10.43 PM.png

That sucks. I bought a couple of their US made OCBDs every year, either when I was there or else had relatives send them to me. The last ones just a couple of months ago over Christmas. Once they close that shirt factory, they can actually close the whole company. It's the only worthwhile item they made.

Neither did I, it's been a good 4-5-6 years since they advertised American made shirts on their website.
https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Made-in-America-Landing-Page/madeinamerica,default,pg.html

Last edited:
The Southwick factory and Brooks are both owned by Retail Brand Alliance and Southwick has continued to exist as its own name in other independent menswear shops (suits, jackets). It has made most of BB's made in the USA tailored clothing.

I had no idea they still made anything in the US

As far as I'm aware, all of their ties (the mainline ties, at least) are made in a factory in Long Island City that is owned by BB. I like BB's ties - I have a few of their ancient madder ties and printed silk ties and they have a great hand and tie a nice knot.

Their US-made shirts ("the original Polo shirt" etc) are made in a factory in North Carolina. I'm not sure if BB owns the facility or not.

Their US-made suits are made by Southwick in Massachusetts. I don't know whether Southwick is owned by BB, or whether it's independent or owned by a different company.

Edited to add: I just saw that Thruth Thruth said that Southwick and BB are both owned by the same parent company, Retail Brand Alliance.

If anyone can read the NY Times, here's a story about BB and the owner, Claudio del Vecchio, from a couple of years back when Brooks Brothers celebrated its 200th anniversary:

Wow, did not expect that.
I remember getting one of their buy three deals in the early 80s before they really expanded.

The shirts shrunk - but worst of all the very tips of the collars curled in, after they were washed. I really hate that. I would much prefer a cheap poly cotton shirt where the collar stayed flat. Never bought from Lewin again. Have never bought anything from Tyrwhitt either.

I remember getting one of their buy three deals in the early 80s before they really expanded.

The shirts shrunk - but worst of all the very tips of the collars curled in, after they were washed. I really hate that. I would much prefer a cheap poly cotton shirt where the collar stayed flat. Never bought from Lewin again. Have never bought anything from Tyrwhitt either.

Tyrwhitt, I remember was popular with those who sported the ex-footballer cum commentator look back in the 1990s. Amongst a couple of other brands. Reminded me of the blandness of M&S. Stayed well clear of that. And those type where big on very matching ties, okay now and again, but not all the time.

CT fabric is ghastly stuff. Their big plus was they were one of the first cheap shirt makers to offer a wide variety of sizes AND fits. Their Extra Slims were a godsend for blokes with thick necks or athletic builds. Being able to select a fit, neck size, length and sleeve length all in a $25 shirt was amazing. Unfortunately the shirt was scratch cardboard but construction met expectations for the price point.

CT fabric is ghastly stuff. Their big plus was they were one of the first cheap shirt makers to offer a wide variety of sizes AND fits. Their Extra Slims were a godsend for blokes with thick necks or athletic builds. Being able to select a fit, neck size, length and sleeve length all in a $25 shirt was amazing. Unfortunately the shirt was scratch cardboard but construction met expectations for the price point.

There's always a catch at $25 a shirt, you can get tempted, but best to resist.

:cry: That sucks! Who else is left making long button down collars? Mercer, Kamakura?

Last edited:

They can still trade under Chapter 11, so all might be not lost.

Truth is there's no room for another Ralph Lauren.

And BB ain't no street wear bro'. So no chance of appealing to that ever expanding market.

100%: '' The fit names alone —Regent, Milano, Madison— turn me off from the outset. Why was a pioneer of American style taking some much influence from Italy? ''

They can still trade under Chapter 11, so all might be not lost.

Truth is there's no room for another Ralph Lauren.

And BB ain't no street wear bro'. So no chance of appealing to that ever expanding market.

100%: '' The fit names alone —Regent, Milano, Madison— turn me off from the outset. Why was a pioneer of American style taking some much influence from Italy? ''

They have been lost for some time. They tried to bring in the younger crowd with high end Thom Browne Black Fleece and then low end Red Fleece. The 346 ghetto diffusion/factory line did them no favours. When I was a teenager and young adult a BB suit was still something. It hasn't't been much for a long time.

Why so much Eyetie? Claudio Del Vecchio.

I read an article about BB recently - when the writing was on the wall but it was not yet official - that said that the vast majority of its revenue came from a small number of stores. Apparently, BB could have closed 60 - 70% of its stores and only lost a small amount of revenue.

I tend to agree with the blog post by A Continuous Lean - why did BB want to be so big, and was it a good idea for it to be so big. Why not aim for a smaller market? Why not have fewer stores, but really try to provide superb service in those stores?

I tend to agree with the blog post by A Continuous Lean - why did BB want to be so big, and was it a good idea for it to be so big. Why not aim for a smaller market? Why not have fewer stores, but really try to provide superb service in those stores?

That is fine for contented, family-run establishments. Large corporations don’t run on the ‘Small is Beautiful’ theme. All the employees will have goals that focus on increased revenue and growth.

ah yes, if only we'd been dedicated enough to pay over-inflated retail prices then maybe our sound business strategy wouldn't have floundered.

i fucking loathe this guy.
He just seems like a dedicated cheapskate. I am not sure why he merits an article though.

On the other side of The Atlantic, the city of Leicester has its own sweatshops that compete with China using workers from the Indian subcontinent who probably don’t have other job options. They pay below the minimum legal wage.

Leicester is also a corona virus hotspot possibly fuelled by such sweatshops. Leicester has been put back into lockdown.

He just seems like a dedicated cheapskate. I am not sure why he merits an article though.

On the other side of The Atlantic, the city of Leicester has its own sweatshops that compete with China using workers from the Indian subcontinent who probably don’t have other job options. They pay below the minimum legal wage.

Leicester is also a corona virus hotspot possibly fuelled by such sweatshops. Leicester has been put back into lockdown.

Aye, and rather than addressing that disgrace, the CTRL-Left are busy toppling statues of long dead people...

the post was supposed to be an attempt at satire

ah yes, if only we'd been dedicated enough to pay over-inflated retail prices then maybe our sound business strategy wouldn't have floundered.

i fucking loathe this guy.
How the fuck can be place himself as the arbiter of style, waxing lyrical about his clothes purchase that must rival Crompton, and yet the entire internet appears to be bereft of a single image of the man dressed in his finery?

And his attempts at being funny are fucking atrocious. “Buy a white fleece vest and look like a sexy cauliflower.“ Oh do fuck off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom