Sartorial Stories In The News

I found the book Fuck Yeah Menswear rather amusing. However, when I clicked the link to the blog site, it appears as if the last post was from November, 2012. I assume this must men that FYMW is dead or at least moribund.

Hey, I don't own a tuxedo and have only had to rent twice, but every igent is a fierce and loyal defender of classic formalwear!
What would the Duke of Windsor Wear?

I have never worn a tuxedo and I hope I never have to.

Birdman, when was the last time you changed your underwear?

Thursday.
This is what I imagine Harveybirdman's soul looks like:
Kitten.jpg

You heard me. Tuxedos aren't at all appealing to me. No fun in them. Zilch. Nada.

Interesting. I find dinner jackets really comfortable and good looking. Certainly more fun then the average lounge suit.

Why more comfortable? Like physically or psychologically?

In general, I think I dislike them because of all the bells and whistles that are all but required for it. There is definitely a proper way in which to wear a tuxedo, and there is little wiggle room within that.

I meant physically, but I am pondering the psychologically part. I would say probably that too, but I need to ponder it a bit.

In terms of the actual clothes, usually DJ's are great cloths and mine are cut a little more comfortable in the trousers. I am talking about good ones, and not the Men's Clotheshouse special mind you.

Ah, so you aren't speaking in general. I figured they (in general) would be as comfortable as any well tailored piece of clothing, no more no less.

Perhaps I should have just said the ones I have. But I think on average they would be a bit more comfortable for the average suit wearer if they are the classic cut. Generally speaking, trousers on lounge suits these days are relatively tailored whereas classic DJ trousers are a bit more straight leg and roomier in the hips.

Here's DiCaprio in a DJ (albeit 2 button)

960x1423

And in a lounge suit at Gatsby party

Leonardo+DiCaprio+Suits+Men+Suit+H_-LrvLJmIwl.jpg

Now if you are wearing roomier straight legged trousers, then sure, you probably won't notice a difference. But most current trousers are pretty well tailored. Most guys also wear belts, and DJ will put you in braces, which are about 100% improvement.

Plus, on the psych front, I just feel like I'm in pajamas wearing a shawl collar (which mine is).

Just looking at the pix of Di Caprio in his tux and lounge suit. F'r chrissake, why can't these damn "celebs" get their bloody trousers hemmed a proper length? They all have more money than God, and the sastrero at my local laundry does a good job for about $15! I was noticing the same thing at the Oscars tonight.

Most men rock a tuxedo very poorly, I have concluded. Even when properly done, I think they look kind of penguin-ish, and I think men, by and large, look better in lounge suits.

Most men rock a tuxedo very poorly, I have concluded. Even when properly done, I think they look kind of penguin-ish, and I think men, by and large, look better in lounge suits.

I agree with your first sentence, but not your second. People do it poorly as hell, but done properly it looks fantastic. Sean Connery in a tux is a winner no matter how you slice it. The only penguin characteristic I see isn't from color but from fat ass Americans waistlines.

Last edited:
I agree with your first sentence, but not your second. People do it poorly as hell, but done properly it looks fantastic. Sean Connery in a tux is a winner no matter how you slice it. The only penguin characteristic I see isn't from color but from fat ass Americans waistlines.

Yeah, but Sean Connery in his prime looked like a winner in almost anything. I say "almost" because there's always his costume in "Zardoz"!

Yeah, but Sean Connery in his prime looked like a winner in almost anything. I say "almost" because there's always his costume in "Zardoz"!

Which is my point, he was in shape. And by shape I don't mean 'pear'. Any reasonably fit person will have their prominent features accentuated in a DJ (and lounge suit for that matter). Clothes can bring a unfit person back to somewhat normal as well, but they will make a fit person shine.

Come on! He rocked the shit out of that onesie and ponytail.

Baddest onesie wearer ever I dare say!

Come on! He rocked the shit out of that onesie and ponytail.
Let's not forget the Webley Mark VI .455 revolver.

As to his being "in shape," the guy had been a Mr. Universe contestant, f'r chrissake. Of course, back in those days the development of competitive bodybuilders wasn't nearly as exaggerated as is today.

Let's not forget the Webley Mark VI .455 revolver.

As to his being "in shape," the guy had been a Mr. Universe contestant, f'r chrissake. Of course, back in those days the development of competitive bodybuilders wasn't nearly as exaggerated as is today.

Totally. The guys today are practically mutant.

Back then you had in shape out of shape guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom