Scarves, how do they work?

Russell Street

King Of The Trolls
Supporter
I used to always just cross one end over the other, as that was SOP for the school uniform as a child. Recently, I've taken to basically doing a day cravat knot, an overhand with one end hanging straight down the center in front. It's warmer and also looks really snazzy with my plaid scarf.

Some women is insisting on knitting me a scarf. I have no experience with knit scarves. Are they only for sniffly toddlers, or is this sort of thing tolerable for a grown man that is taken seriously? Also, why are scarves so ridiculously long nowadays and add whatever pointers, opinions, comments one may have on the topic of scarves.

My favorite is to fold the scarf in half and make a hole at the folded end, then slip the other end thru the hole and tighten it around the neck.

My favorite is to fold the scarf in half and make a hole at the folded end, then slip the other end thru the hole and tighten it around the neck.
The lark's head knot is probably the reason all scarves are now twice as long as they should be. Stop doing this.
I'm not even kidding. I just took a tape measure and draped it so that I'd have each end at the bottom of my breastbone. Three feet. Every scarf for sale is at least six feet long!

My fear is some loose knit knubby hunk of acrylic. A tightly knit, thin, scarf made of some decent animal fiber would be great.
What is it with matronly compulsive knitting?

I say like Michael Alden does it.
th

Scarves block the view of the tie (they don't like it when they can't see), so I generally don't wear them. And it gets cold and windy here.
Ties like the cold and wind better?

Just my opinion, but if the scarf makes much more than one tour around the neck, it starts looking really, um, flamboyant and prissy. Unlike a tie, which largely serves a decorative function in modern times, a scarf is a fancy rag to block drafts. We enter into the paradox similar to the studiously messy hair here: the 'casual and sloppy' style is actually way more work than the straightforward, neat, traditional style.

I mentioned the cold in order to express just how much I wish to avoid the ire of my ties.

For a someone who hails from the land of bespoke, Foo sure does not know how to color coordinate.

If I am wearing an overcoat, I will wear a scarf. If I am only wearing an odd jacket or suit sans coat I would never wear a scarf. I think the scarf/odd jacket look is odd.

I use the cravate knot that Russell Street Russell Street referenced above.

I don't get Foo's get up with the Blu-Blockers and fingerless driving gloves

he prolly ordered 15 of them

Well, I think they are buy one get twelve anyway. Helps him have a more productive relationship with the Chinese factory that makes them by getting over the magic 11 number of refinement. Makes him more valid than those plebes that only get two also.

Well, I think they are buy one get twelve anyway. Helps him have a more productive relationship with the Chinese factory that makes them by getting over the magic 11 number of refinement. Makes him more valid than those plebes that only get two also.

plus the factory owner might be a robust han chinese just like him. probably even a relative

If I am wearing an overcoat, I will wear a scarf. If I am only wearing an odd jacket or suit sans coat I would never wear a scarf. I think the scarf/odd jacket look is odd.

I use the cravate knot that Russell Street referenced above.
For very short jaunts, or when going some place that won't have a decent place to stash an overcoat, I'll do the scarf and sport coat thing. Though done for utility, I'm conscious of the poncy look it gives.
Foo, as ridiculous as that pic is, has the knot that I like. I'm actually curious where he found a scarf that doesn't go to his knees. The above AE ones are 76" long, for God's sake.

For very short jaunts, or when going some place that won't have a decent place to stash an overcoat, I'll do the scarf and sport coat thing. Though done for utility, I'm conscious of the poncy look it gives.
Foo, as ridiculous as that pic is, has the knot that I like. I'm actually curious where he found a scarf that doesn't go to his knees. The above AE ones are 76" long, for God's sake.

I appreciate your point. For me, there is always someplace to stash an overcoat. Either you wear it or not. my view is probably skewed by winter smoking. If I can stand immobile sans coat in -20 for 10 minutes I ain't gonna put on no scarf!

Foo's knot is nice

I'm much less warm blooded than you are. A scarf, like an ascot, seals off a big and vital area of heat loss.

Experimenting with scarf wear this morning - still feels natural to me.
Photo on 12-8-14 at 7.43 AM #2.jpg

One can get frou-frou and pull the overlapping part at the neck so that it is wider, but I'm on record for preferring this knot or merely crossing over the chest. It takes a second or two.

On a related note, my neck used to never get cold. Now, as I approach forty, my neck gets cold all the damn time and I've actually worn a scarf a few times this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom