Sensible Garments Deemed Old-Fashioned and Frivolous

Russell Street

King Of The Trolls
Supporter
There are many. Many think a suit is silly, but if you aren't blasting perfectly regulated heating at all hours, it makes more sense. You've got pockets, a breathable outer layer that doesn't require constant laundering and pressing. Compare to jeans, which do little to stop the cold, but rather suck in hot weather too. The cut is rarely that comfortable, and the pockets are of minimal use.

The waistcoat, or vest, is seen as an affectation. I have exactly one and it gets worn solely when the chill is such that the stoutest of oxford cloth and tweed are no longer adequate. Similarly, the ascot or day cravat. Yes, I got the first one to look like a snobby ponce, but the things really seal of the draft of an open collar and introduce a luxurious warmth and comfort. But everyone thinks you're playing some lock-jawed yacht-club type if they see an ascot.

There are more, but I'll let others vent on the perfectly purposeful items doomed to the dustbins of sartorial history while less useful new stuff is seen as an evolution.

Good analysis of the virtues of the ascot. I am wearing one at the moment. Curiously, I was just discussing this subject an hour ago with one of the managers at the target range where I practice. He said that I, at least, could pull it off...as long as I refrained from combining it with a yachtsman's cap and DB blazer! He asked why one would wear an ascot, and I gave an answer almost word-for-word the same as above. Although this may strike some as effete, the caress of silk around one's neck is a pleasant sensation, too.

Good analysis of the virtues of the ascot. I am wearing one at the moment. Curiously, I was just discussing this subject an hour ago with one of the managers at the target range where I practice. He said that I, at least, could pull it off...as long as I refrained from combining it with a yachtsman's cap and DB blazer! He asked why one would wear an ascot, and I gave an answer almost word-for-word the same as above. Although this may strike some as effete, the caress of silk around one's neck is a pleasant sensation, too.

[i suppose i could have done this in the anachronistic thread] i think this defines the difference between something working or not. how it looks on you to others. here is David Bowie from 2010 and to me this works and does not look like a costume on him but would on most others
tumblr_nm1xoaZXhc1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg

thruth - you idiot - you know that the addition of a cigarette to any menswear photo instantly confers hip/cool to the photo unlike say snorting bad ice up your snot drooling hooter..

Hats. Good God, they warm in the winter, keep the sun off in the summer, and protect from wind and wet all year round. But fruity doofuses get them and wear them on the back of their head and the point is lost. Ballcaps, which exist solely to hide dirty hair and block a little sun if the bill faces forward, are seen as sensible.

thruth - you idiot - you know that the addition of a cigarette to any menswear photo instantly confers hip/cool to the photo unlike say snorting bad ice up your snot drooling hooter..

hmm, so without said cigarette, Bowie and his fit becomes Tiborish?

Hats. Good God, they warm in the winter, keep the sun off in the summer, and protect from wind and wet all year round. But fruity doofuses get them and wear them on the back of their head and the point is lost. Ballcaps, which exist solely to hide dirty hair and block a little sun if the bill faces forward, are seen as sensible.

because most hat wearers today look like this - usually fur-faced - which completely shoots down the idea that wearing hats should come back in vogue
SJB-Book-Launch-blog-8-712155.jpg

PC160093-1.jpg

BORSO2_zpsac72586c.jpg

350x700px-LL-e7e9813e_NzD0j8M.jpeg

Oh yes, I was focusing on the vanishing Ed Norton wannabes and forgot about the fat old bearded wierdo (aka Fedora Lounge) contingent.

Also, what the hell happened to wool over-the calf-socks? It seems that if moderns wear anything beyond stupid ankle socks, it's some sad calf-length paper-thin nonsense. Particularly when it's actually cold and/or wet out, I always perplexed to see people's exposed ankles.

Dunno, did something happen? It's what I wear pretty much daily.
Me too, but try to find them on mainstream people or in mainstream stores. It's nearly impossible. I've known several people that were shocked to see them on me, such that I do believe they seriously never saw such a thing before.

Ha ha, do I really look that bad? I actually purchased the hat from a member of the fedora lounge for head protection. Being a light felt hat
means its light enough to wear in the Texas summer and it has all the advantages of a felt hat. I dont think the other guys look bad, certantly nothing offense. I always enjoy MoK when he posts in the lounge.

Ooh ooh, :welcome: Hasdrubal and :hi:
Which one are you? I'll give my assessment. Actually, there are much worse examples to be had than any of those. One of the memorable things that I ever read at the hat lounge was how facial hair was historically inconsistent with the popular era of the fedora.
The modern hat wearer does have to deal with the bizarre polarization of ironic trendy young douchebags and earnest unfashionable older men. Getting lumped in with either is less than desirable.

Oh, please salvage our hat thread. Hats | DressedWell

Im the young guy at the bottom. It's all good, man. I understand modern hat wearers have a certain reputation but shit, I like my hats.

You wear what you want to wear. I think the point trying to be made is that hats have fallen so much out of favour that where once they were the norm they look strange to most people. Guys like you have to have confidence to wear hats in this environment

Im the young guy at the bottom. It's all good, man. I understand modern hat wearers have a certain reputation but shit, I like my hats.
Oh, you escape the old, bearded, and (it appears) fat issues. And the thing fits, both size and looks. It looks better than my Jed Clampett lite felt hat, so I can't cast stones. Thank you for not being a fedora and t-shirt dork.
I think the point trying to be made is that hats have fallen so much out of favour that where once they were the norm they look strange to most people. Guys like you have to have confidence to wear hats in this environment
Bingo. The modern hat wearer is an iconoclast, and sadly that is not always a good thing. As per this thread, it does help if being worn for a practical reason as well, and not just secretly wanting to be Bogart or Indiana Jones.

I forgot my hat today and had to run out to my car in the rain. Fucking typical. Just reinforced how much I hate umbrellas, especially when carrying a bulky parcel.

Me too, but try to find them on mainstream people or in mainstream stores. It's nearly impossible. I've known several people that were shocked to see them on me, such that I do believe they seriously never saw such a thing before.

:areyouserious: Joseph A. Banks carries over the wool calf socks. I know this because I was on my way to soccer once, realized I'd forgotten my socks and picked up a pair of over-the-calves there to wear for the game.

Joseph A. Banks carries over the wool calf socks.
For brick and mortar, that probably is the most common "non-luxury" store that would have anything beyond a pair of black blend Gold Toes. Of course you need to buy three pair in order not to get bilked, I suspect.
So hard to find a waistcoat I like.
This is one of those things I keep thinking of getting made. The RTW odd vests seem to come in dark and hard flat finishes, looking like part of a suit, or novelty plaid lapeled things for Christmas party use only. And of course fit is very important. Loose waistcoats look awful.

For brick and mortar, that probably is the most common "non-luxury" store that would have anything beyond a pair of black blend Gold Toes. Of course you need to buy three pair in order not to get bilked, I suspect.

I was in a rush only bought one. Much to my surprise, it was not tailored for a 350 lbs. man with fat calves made even larger by symptoms of Type II diabetes.

hmm, so without said cigarette, Bowie and his fit becomes Tiborish?
bowie2.jpg

Bad editing work but you can imagine w/o ciggy.

Still seems to suit him - why?

1 Its Bowie - and we expect costume
2 Hat brim and size is proportional to his head etc
3 Suit /shirt/tie evokes hat era
4 Sunglasses suitably neo retro and cool
5 Professional photography
6 Hair appropriate cut

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom