Sewing, mending, and other DIY stuff

You should have got in on this GMTO, surely one of the most unique ones in SF history

Anyone interested in joining me in a bulk order of 13" Tailors' Shears (scissors) made in Italy?

Yeah, I have a bit of inside digs on this. Looks like things have gone in 2 directions. The StyleForum ones have gone well, and the orders have been delivered. But the guy doing this on Cutter and Tailor looks like a thief:

13" Shears Made in Italy - Pre sale - Page 4 - Buying and Selling - The Cutter and Tailor

And a Facebook page has been getting PM'd around on that site:

Pay Us Back Gustavo | Facebook

This guy sounds like a major shit. I understand he owes the StyleForum guy like $9000. I don't use Facebook, but we should probably get in on the fun.

Yeah, I have a bit of inside digs on this. Looks like things have gone in 2 directions. The StyleForum ones have gone well, and the orders have been delivered. But the guy doing this on Cutter and Tailor looks like a thief:

13" Shears Made in Italy - Pre sale - Page 4 - Buying and Selling - The Cutter and Tailor

And a Facebook page has been getting PM'd around on that site:

Pay Us Back Gustavo | Facebook

This guy sounds like a major shit. I understand he owes the StyleForum guy like $9000. I don't use Facebook, but we should probably get in on the fun.

Sucks for the SF guy who seems like a stand up kind of dude. As long as he doesn't get tainted by Gustavo

I made a pair of boxer shorts. They are pretty crappy but decent as a first attempt. The fabric I have looks enticing for a bow tie...
I will be bookmarking this.

If you upset me I will immediately email sarto with this link - where you are making your own UNDERPANTS, with no skill AND also a BOW TIE from THE SAME MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you upset me I will immediately email sarto with this link - where you are making your own UNDERPANTS, with no skill AND also a BOW TIE from THE SAME MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a nicely printed cotton. Some use of interlining or fusing or something should make it work, maybe.

One thing I've noticed in looking through sewing blogs is a fairly strong tendency to use whatever fabric is laying around instead of buying something more appropriate. I'm starting to understand this now that I have leftover fabric collecting.

That shears thing is really weird, though I always thought it was a bit fishy. Another shill tailor. But what can you expect when he's practically a neighbour of Spanish untailors?
At least he didn't claim they are made from vintage steel that he's digging from the ground or the bottom of the oceans all over the world.
Some of the C&T members might have paid via Paypal, but I'm not sure if their insurance covers the loss.
Usually those Ebay bastards were pretty quick to delete any traces of fishy transactions in the past.

BTW, I think a nice cotton print will work well as a bow tie. I'm sure it was the material of choice for many people that had no access to silks.

Hey all. I just found this forum searching for more information on the shears. I was one of the guys that got screwed by Gustavo! Every time I email him he either doesn't respond or he tells me the shears will be sent out next week. It's all bull! After reading the latest C&T post I realize I got taken... I have even seen the finished shears and they are gorgeous! So obnoxious

Hey all. I just found this forum searching for more information on the shears. I was one of the guys that got screwed by Gustavo! Every time I email him he either doesn't respond or he tells me the shears will be sent out next week. It's all bull! After reading the latest C&T post I realize I got taken... I have even seen the finished shears and they are gorgeous! So obnoxious

sorry to hear that you were one of those who were scammed by Gustavo. by all accounts the shears are everything they were expected to be and more. shame that only those who ordered through SF received them.

Thank you Rambo,

Yea. I know a guy who purchased through StyleForum. Really wish I followed him. bad luck on my part.

Thanks office,
I'm just rooting for the StyleForum guy to win his case!

I think I have a business idea :

We will "make", and I use the words "we" and "make", loosely, just how I like my undies, and sell underpants from vintage silk sourced from South Korea, cut by vintage reproduction scissors, "made" in Italy, in the original factory, by toothless peasants, who have factory chapel to attend mass and communion, celebrated by sarto, each morning prior to starting work at daylight, handcrafted undies by Russell Street - just learning to work a "vintage" sewing machine, but that will be part of their "artisanal" wabi sabi imperfect charm.

We will start an affiliate thread on SF, on credit, hype it all up and ask that people pay 150% up front of the $350 asking price for these "limited edition collectors items".

The money will go to my Paypal account, as no one else here could be trusted with money. I will initially send Russ say $1,000 to run up a few boxer undies from recycled madras patchwork tablecloths. As soon as say 8 people post professionally snapped and photo-shopped pictures of their undies on SF and more orders flow in - I'll open a up market hipster Poutine Cafe in Korea, sell the cafe and do a moon light flit to thruth's isolated cult rural retreat and hideout.

I'll bribe his SiL to unleash his pent up resentment, and kill and bury thruth under the eternally flooded paddock or under the barn and get doghouse to help concrete the grave over with 2 feet of steel reinforced concrete .

I'll then have to get rid of doggie and SiL - oops I need to think this through a bit more - give me a few days...

Not a bad plan.
In case you don't want to do the dirty work yourself, you could hire one of the Canadian baby seal killers. As long as it's off clubbing season, it should be fairly cheap.

Things heating up on Cutter and Tailor again, seems folks don't understand basic economics.

Well, some of the "critics" aren't really the brightest lights in the shop when it comes to understand pricing.
$400.00 is ok for US buyers, but the costs will go up significantly once the shears need to be shipped to Europe (for example), thanks to high shipping costs and hefty import charges.

In 7th grade, I must have taken Home Economics and made some drawstring bag on a sewing machine, but I can't remember jack. The only person I know that can operate one is my mother, but she is useless as a teacher as she is impatient and would rather do it herself than explain anything.
I've occasionally toyed with the idea of getting a sewing machine, because the few minor mendings that I've done by hand have taken forever and come out crude. But this is like buying a car when you don't know how to drive. I'd likely end up with something totally wrong.

Anyway, I found out that a fabric store not far out of my way offers a beginner sewing class, two hours for a mere $30. I'm taking it. I'd really like to be able to do more than sew on buttons and rough hem fixes.
How did the class go? Or is it still going? What'd you learn? I've always wanted to take something like that.

Oh yeah, so I took this course and didn't actually learn all that much. I mean it refreshed a lot, but nothing that I hadn't done before.
That's what happened. Anyone that's ever used a machine or can borrow a competent operator for fifteen minutes could probably suffice with an internet education and then some trial and error.
Currently, I grabbed a bunch of neato attachments that I have yet to toy with: a buttonhole thing, hemmers, a binder.

Really, the sewing course is like driver's ed. It gives you the fundamentals and if you've never done it before, supervision and instruction is worthwhile. But you learn just enough to actually get started and figure out the trickier stuff that you really want to do on your own. If you have time and patience, trial and error and youtube/blogs might be enough. Around here, every little fabric store has scheduled "open sew" things where you can come in and work and they'll provide guidance as needed for some small fee.

So where is the best spot out there to get good sewing patterns for ties?
winfield-tie.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom