Sewing, mending, and other DIY stuff

That is beyond awesome,especially in terms of centering patterns, about which bow ties seem to be really haphazard. Equally important, I've never seen some of these shapes and hope somebody starts making some of them. I should really restart my aborted DIY bow tie attempt.

That is beyond awesome,especially in terms of centering patterns, about which bow ties seem to be really haphazard. Equally important, I've never seen some of these shapes and hope somebody starts making some of them. I should really restart my aborted DIY bow tie attempt.

They're for sale individually, that spade pattern would look good with a tux

1/4" Thick Acrylic BOW TIE PATTERNS, 11 Patterns to choose from + 2 Extensions - Superb Quality, no finer set available in the world

Is there a Star Of David pattern sarto could use to make a bow tie?

IIRC, Sarto said bow ties would be done my some maiden, possibly in the dungeon, and not him personally.

How easy is to repair button holes? I have a vintage tweed coat and the button holes are ripped, can they be repaired by sewing machines or I have to find a some old Eyetalian tailor to hand sewn them.

I have zero experience, but I imagine anyone is just going to kind of hand-darn the thing. Or better yet, open the lining and get inside to reinforce it.

This thread is as good a place as any to mention this wacky Bon-Nash Fuse-It, which seems to be some flexible fusing stuff for mending.
Videos

How easy is to repair button holes? I have a vintage tweed coat and the button holes are ripped, can they be repaired by sewing machines or I have to find a some old Eyetalian tailor to hand sewn them.

Or some super glue. But they have to be done by hand to look right, I think.

Go for hand stitched buttonholes. If Italian tailor, try to find one that's not from Naples. Their buttonholes look like squashed caterpillars... :poke:

I need to find someone local to do this. Could be costly. The coat probably costs less than the job.

Coat button falls off (Oh Noes).

Whipping twine, sailmakers needles and palm to the rescue.

Added bonus, iGent approved contrast stitching.

20180131_120116.jpg
20180131_120131.jpg
20180131_124937.jpg

Nice. I had a button on my coat fall off today too, luckily I had some matching thread on a drawer at work! I hate when RTW buttons are stitched in a way that you can easily pull a thread and have the whole thing come off.

on new coats I usually take all buttons off and hand sew them again, just to avoid nasty surprises

Does re-waxing a Barbour count as DIY?
I'm starting to get the hang of it, a hairdryer comes in really handy. Turns the wax liquid instantly and makes the cloth suck it up. This 1994 Border was in serious need of treatment and is now almost done. It's a very large garment and eats wax like crazy!
Will post better pics tomorrow when I finish it.

IMG_20180329_235826.jpg

Does re-waxing a Barbour count as DIY?
I'm starting to get the hang of it, a hairdryer comes in really handy. Turns the wax liquid instantly and makes the cloth suck it up. This 1994 Border was in serious need of treatment and is now almost done. It's a very large garment and eats wax like crazy!
Will post better pics tomorrow when I finish it.

View attachment 29143

How did you apply the wax?

Double boiler method and brush on with/without hairdryer or dry application followed by the hairdryer?

How did you apply the wax?

Double boiler method and brush on with/without hairdryer or dry application followed by the hairdryer?

First I heat up the jacket itself with the hairdryer. Then I melt the wax on the tin using once again the hairdryer, apply and rub thoroughly. If it congeals on the tin, I apply more heat and it melts quickly. After rubbing it all in, I blow with the hairdryer all over the jacket. No lumps, no shiny patches... heat everywhere is key, I guess that's why Barbour uses heated tables.

Last edited:
Pretty much done. I ran out of wax so will have to get a new tin if I see touch up is required as I wear it.

IMG_20180331_102607.jpg

IMG_20180330_115849.jpg

This is what it looked like before - wax almost worn out completely:

img_20180321_153900-jpg.28933

My re-waxed jackets tend to scratch very easily leaving scuffs of the lighter colored cotton behind - at first I thought it was me not waxing them correctly but after getting a vintage repair kit I see the older cotton does the same thing even when brand new. Modern ones don't seem to do the same, the cloth feels different, has more nap to it and I guess soaks in the wax better. Or maybe they are just using a darker dye underneath. This I noticed about the thornproof cotton, Sylkoil seems even more durable.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with a Barbour. Would go molto bene with a whippet dog, or a Range Rover if you have the room . Congratulations.

Just finished making a braided leather belt. Never made one before - 6-strand braiding is surprisingly relaxing.
2EB4BC4A-855D-4C8E-AC10-E015D2F734C9.jpeg

FD0725FA-0A29-43B2-B7B5-40E6EE3F0CF0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom