Darkside

In the realm of #menswear shirting, I find the shirt collar to be of paramount importance. It serves as the canvas for which the tie and tie knot will be presented on. It frames the wearers' face and may exaggerate the horizontal proportions of a larger man, or complement the more chiseled features of others.

There is also a (perhaps arbitrary?) context which exists regarding collars that suggests that the wider the spread, the higher the level of formality. This context also extends to different origins and cultures from where certain collar styles originated (OCBD). The fabric in which the shirt is made from is another deciding factor for some.

With all of the MTM shirting options (Luxire, Proper Cloth) that the internet age has afforded us iGents, I feel the most ambivalence when choosing my collar style. My ideal collar would be: comfortable to wear, complement my natural proportions, able to stand up without the structural support of a tie, appropriate for a range of formalities, and have collar points long enough to sit under jacket lapels. I am curious to see what others' opinions are regarding their collar preferences, and the reasoning behind them.

From Luxire, I am considering the NOBDII collar:
aoHNide.jpg

or the HenryC collar:
LL

This is the Luxire collar options spreadsheet. Not pretty, but it works.

From Proper Cloth, my next shirt will be with the Roma Spread:
LL

LL

LL

Here are the other PC options.

Last edited:
Darkside Darkside I am not an expert, and I do not think you will find "the one collar". At minimum you will need one collar for wear with a tie and one without. I am moving in the direction of only wearing a bd collar w/o a tie, and in the meanwhile am wearing an extreme cutaway collar w/o tie along with a bd until I switch out a few shirts.
Of courese the Eurotrash are offering advice without any context (seeing you in said collars, for example). You should ignore them in this and any other advice they may give.

Darkside Darkside I am not an expert, and I do not think you will find "the one collar". At minimum you will need one collar for wear with a tie and one without. I am moving in the direction of only wearing a bd collar w/o a tie, and in the meanwhile am wearing an extreme cutaway collar w/o tie along with a bd until I switch out a few shirts.
Of courese the Eurotrash are offering advice without any context (seeing you in said collars, for example). You should ignore them in this and any other advice they may give.

yes Darkside Darkside listen to him. also please shave your head, make sure your shoulders have a nice divot and start wearing oversized sack zoots

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom