Slippers and house shoes

C

colco

Share your at home footwear options, if any. I currently wear a pair of Cole Haan Grant driving shoes in suede that do not see outdoor duty.
1. Do you eschew your "street shoes" when home?
2. If so, are you barefoot (if so skip this thread please)
3. If not, how are you shod?
4. If you are entertaining in the home, do you make a concession for yourself or guests if you do not wear shoes in the home ordinarily?
5. Anyone with plans to purchase a Prince Albert slipper or a Belgian loafer?

1) Of course.
2) No.
3) Socks, but my wife wears houseslippers since her feet get cold.
4) I do not make concessions. Guests need to take off their shoes. I guess I might buy 10 dollar slippers at some point if that bothers them (many Korean households do for this purpose). If they wear dirty socks or socks with holes in them, they should be shamed and thus incentivized to mend their ways (and their socks) :nono02:
5) No, but you can get some C&J really cheap (100+ still...so ridiculously overpriced even at that) on BWH

My one of my fondest SF memories involves Ianiceman trying to give me shit for not wearing shoes in my WAYWRN shots (mind you, I just frame it so my outfit is cut off at the shins...not showing off my socks or nuttin'). Basically something like "Come on, just put your shoes on just before you leave. You can't tell me that you never wear your shoes in the house, that you take them off as soon as you enter." Which, of course, I do. Korean houses all have a little area just inside the door to take off shoes and store them. And we have an area in our place in the US. I explained this, as did, I think Journeyman Journeyman who had spent time in Japan. And everyone sort of dogpiled on him. Good times.

This is what I currently wear at home. They have the benefit of being unlined and unstructured (requirements in a shoe meant for the home IMO).
house shoes.jpg
house shoes.jpg

@claghorn, I am aware of your having lived in Asia, and equally aware of their preferences for not wearing shoes in the home. Two things have happened recently that have brought me around (indirectly) to a similar line of thinking. I moved into an apartment with carpet in the bedrooms. Shoes on carpet seems.....wrong. Also, good friends of ours are Japanese and my wife has been influences by their no shoe practice.
Personally, I can't just wear socks. I like the security of a shoe while cooking, for example. Also, I have a cat, and that pussy leaves detritus everywhere in the form of shed hair. I also have a five year who leaves all manner of small, painful obstacles. So, again, the need for a shoe.
We have a large, comfortable apartment and like to entertain in the home. I can't see a Prince Albert, but I can see an upgrade from my current option. These perhaps:

601H_BLUE.jpg

My one of my fondest SF memories involves Ianiceman trying to give me shit for not wearing shoes in my WAYWRN shots (mind you, I just frame it so my outfit is cut off at the shins...not showing off my socks or nuttin'). Basically something like "Come on, just put your shoes on just before you leave. You can't tell me that you never wear your shoes in the house, that you take them off as soon as you enter." Which, of course, I do. Korean houses all have a little area just inside the door to take off shoes and store them. And we have an area in our place in the US. I explained this, as did, I think Journeyman who had spent time in Japan. And everyone sort of dogpiled on him. Good times.

Yes, like Chorn Chorn , I take my shoes off as soon as I get home and I don't wear them inside the house.

In summer, I'm usually barefoot around home and in winter, I usually wear a pair of socks although I'll sometimes wear slippers. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that the slippers are usually really cheap ones that we get from 100-yen shops in Japan and we stuff a few pairs in our suitcase to bring back with us.

We don't have tatami matting in our place in Australia, so we don't mind if visitors wear shoes when they come to visit, but most visitors will take off their shoes at the door. Curiously, we've even had tradesmen remove their boots without me having said anything to them at all, and I've had to urge them to keep on wearing them.

The practice has made me sensitive to the wishes of others and I have found myself in the few times I have entered someones apartment for the first time asking if they'd like me to remove my shoes. A surprising number has said yes, please.
So two guys who definitively do not wear their shoes in the home also don't wear slippers.....interesting.

No love? Not to be worn on the street mind you, only in the home and potentially only in company.

herringbone-black.jpg

@russellstreet, why own them if you do not wear them?
I put them on if I'm planning on being in and not going back out and get around to taking off street shoes. I had them on earlier and apparently accidentally kicked them off during dinner. I'm just not that habitual.

Well, I'll often take my "house shoes" on and off once home for one reason or another though I always put them back on. I just don't wear proper shoes in the home any more, for the reasons states above.

Many years ago I had an awful bout of plantar facitis. One of the things the podiatrist told me at the time was to never walk around barefoot because the shoe would help to keep the PF from fully extending. She turned out to be an imbecile, but I've always kept that piece of information for some reason. My feet sweat, so I don't like to wear a full shoe, and I've just ended up wearing a pair of slide sandals around the house for the past few years:

sd103bs_nb_14_i

I tried a pair of slippers/house shoes with a full ankle and ended up walking on top of the fucking things as opposed to bending over to try and get the heel part on. Drove me fucking nuts so I threw them out.

If I led a more genteel existence, such textile slippers might be in the cards, but they're a bit pricey for me to be spilling things on them.

Many years ago I had an awful bout of plantar facitis. One of the things the podiatrist told me at the time was to never walk around barefoot because the shoe would help to keep the PF from fully extending. She turned out to be an imbecile, but I've always kept that piece of information for some reason. My feet sweat, so I don't like to wear a full shoe, and I've just ended up wearing a pair of slide sandals around the house for the past few years:

sd103bs_nb_14_i

I have been there, my sympathies. Painful to the point of being debilitating.

If I led a more genteel existence, such textile slippers might be in the cards, but they're a bit pricey for me to be spilling things on them.

Cheap and do the job. Or did you mean something else when you wrote textile?

espadrilles.jpg

I tried a pair of slippers/house shoes with a full ankle and ended up walking on top of the fucking things as opposed to bending over to try and get the heel part on. Drove me fucking nuts so I threw them out.

Slides of course are the solution here and easily sourced. Though if sandals suit you and do the job (being in Florida they probably do just fine)?

I meant crested velvet fancy Prince Alberts or the dainty Belgians. I just don't see slopping around at the stove in them.

Understood and appreciated. I found it ironic that I had to buy suede protector for my suede slippers. I am an inspired, if sloppy hand in the kitchen

The Big Apple. NYC. A view across the river from New Jersey. An admittedly less expansive one so I can understand it not being obvious.

Doesn't look like a sunrise either.

Also Manzana Grande and I would've figured it out.

What part of the city we looking at because this skyline rings no bells.

Doesn't look like a sunrise either.

Also Manzana Grande and I would've figured it out.

What part of the city we looking at because this skyline rings no bells.

Your Spanish needs work. Looking east, across the Hudson river. In the winter or early spring if memory serves. That is the the Upper West Side. Specifically from around west 50th street till around west 100th street.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom