Socks thread

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Journeyman said:
The time has come for me to look for new pairs of socks.

For the past seven or so years, I've been wearing Uniqlo (for casual outfits) and Marcoliani (for dressier outfits) socks. However, all of my Marcoliani pairs are about to reach the end of their working lives, and will be reassigned to use as cleaning or shoe-polishing rags.
How long have you had your socks for? Where have they worn out, please give details.

Journeyman said:
So, any suggestions? Uniqlo is fine for plain colours, so I'm nore interested in socks with small, subtle patterns such as birdseye, mini-herringone, mini-houndstooth check and similar patterns.

Would people recommend Viccel? I'm sure that they used to be quite a bit cheaper but, then again, I think that the last time I looked at the Viccel website was about seven years ago.

Any other brands? Any good vendors?
Viccel silk/wool are nice socks to wear, very comfortable and much better than cotton sox. I think you should try a few pairs.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
My go to socks are made by a German brand called Falke, the merino Airport model for winter and the cotton Tiago for when it's warmer, iIrc the latter come in varying degrees of thickness so you have to watch out. Both are widely available in Germany though I would expect them to severely overpriced down under. They last long enough without being anything special but they come in a wide selection of colours.

Another one is Gallo who are mostly known for their fun socks but they have normal models aswell. They come in many different styles and degrees of quality and can be quite expensive. Same as Falke they are quite accomodating to larger calves. They are some of the longest lasting socks I've had. In Italy there are still loads of shops selling a wide variety of unkown brands that are of very decent quality, unfortunately they're usually not available online.

Meschausettesrouges.com have a very decent selection of brands and patterns. I've ordered from the once when they started out and can't really comment on quality.

Falke make great ski socks. They stay up over the calf and they are warm and comfortable. Labelled Left and Right too, for some reason. It makes sense to use them in colder weather - not just for ski trips. I suspect Falke also offer unbranded ski socks for Lidl and Aldi.

Clearing out stuff today and I found some free socks sent with a catalogue by a company called bamboo. I have not worn them. They are in loud Jon Snow/David Dimbleby hoops.
Falke makes excellent socks in general. I have a number of their hiking merino socks and they are bulletproof and long lasting.

sirloin

+1. Falke for activity socks, when in boots and running. For no-show, in sneakers and loafers. As everyday workhorse casual socks, Tiago and Airport are good too.
For "finer" ones, I shop around a bit. Sozzi disappointed me. Viccel´s are good, if you get the right models.

Journeyman

Supporter
How long have you had your socks for? Where have they worn out, please give details.

Viccel silk/wool are nice socks to wear, very comfortable and much better than cotton sox. I think you should try a few pairs.
They're wearing very thin both at the heels and also underneath the toes - so thin that the fabric is transparent. I've been wearing them for about seven years, from memory, both thin wool and cotton socks by Marcoliani.

Falke makes excellent socks in general.
I have a pair of cashmere Falke socks that I picked up on sale in Japan some years ago and yes, they are very nice. Thick, warm, very soft.

Viccel´s are good, if you get the right models.
A few recommendations for Viccel. I shall have to give them a try.

QuandoDio

Viccel value for money. Falke for longevity. Ditto, a Scandinavian brand called 'EGTVED'; eschew the ones with unacceptable poly mix and the all-wool or 90% wool is best. My favourites though are my Gallos and Bresciani's- latter terribly overpriced. The former, if you ignore the wild patterns and colours and go for something a bit more conservative are excellent socks. Had some for 20+ years and standing.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Falke make great ski socks. They stay up over the calf and they are warm and comfortable. Labelled Left and Right too, for some reason. It makes sense to use them in colder weather - not just for ski trips. I suspect Falke also offer unbranded ski socks for Lidl and Aldi.

Clearing out stuff today and I found some free socks sent with a catalogue by a company called bamboo. I have not worn them. They are in loud Jon Snow/David Dimbleby hoops.
Aah. I have a few pairs of Aldi socks otc for bumming around at home and building gardening etc. They are a mix of what they call motorbike socks and hiking socks. They fit your description above of Falke. Wear well

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Journeyman why not darn them? See shooeys post a while back

QuandoDio

Are you sure? They are local to me. The ones I have seen, did not look that impressive. Designs that appealed to the kind of man, who shops for socks with his wife.
The last one I bought was 7/8 years ago on a layover in Copenhagen, about 8 100% Wool OTC navy and charcoal ribbed socks. I bought 4 of each. 4 are still fine. I wear them every other week every autumn/ winter. Maybe they have changed the recipe?

Maybe I got lucky? EGTVED I found had different lines.

Last edited:

sirloin

Went to two department stores, to have a look.
Only one line is 100% wool - autumn/winter model, in navy, grey and charcoal. So most likely the same you lucked out on?

The rest are wool, cotten or bamboo, mixed with 20 - 40% poly. My guess is, that it's been that way for years. They produce what sells, at the target margin. Their costumor prefer the blends over 100% material, as they have stretch and last longer. Sizing is easy too with a bracket of 40-45 (40-43 for pure wool).
= less hassle.

Ok price though. All lines, 3 pairs for ~200 dkk (30 usd) incl. tax.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
Are you sure? They are local to me. The ones I have seen, did not look that impressive. Designs that appealed to the kind of man, who shops for socks with his wife.

1931 - The Locht family establish Egtved sock factory in the town of Egtved, Denmark

2004 - factory was moved to Lithuania.

Now owned by:

JBS TEXTILE GROUP A/S
BORNHOLMSVEJ 1
7400 HERNING
DENMARK

sirloin

Makes sence. Most of danish textile companies, have their offices in that area (SNS Herning, JBS, Ege Carpets, with the colossus Bestseller not far away). Local production moved to the Baltics and Polan start/mid 2000.

Top Bottom