Socks thread

Journeyman said:
The time has come for me to look for new pairs of socks.

For the past seven or so years, I've been wearing Uniqlo (for casual outfits) and Marcoliani (for dressier outfits) socks. However, all of my Marcoliani pairs are about to reach the end of their working lives, and will be reassigned to use as cleaning or shoe-polishing rags.

How long have you had your socks for? Where have they worn out, please give details.

Journeyman said:
So, any suggestions? Uniqlo is fine for plain colours, so I'm nore interested in socks with small, subtle patterns such as birdseye, mini-herringone, mini-houndstooth check and similar patterns.

Would people recommend Viccel? I'm sure that they used to be quite a bit cheaper but, then again, I think that the last time I looked at the Viccel website was about seven years ago.

Any other brands? Any good vendors?

Viccel silk/wool are nice socks to wear, very comfortable and much better than cotton sox. I think you should try a few pairs.

My go to socks are made by a German brand called Falke, the merino Airport model for winter and the cotton Tiago for when it's warmer, iIrc the latter come in varying degrees of thickness so you have to watch out. Both are widely available in Germany though I would expect them to severely overpriced down under. They last long enough without being anything special but they come in a wide selection of colours.

Another one is Gallo who are mostly known for their fun socks but they have normal models aswell. They come in many different styles and degrees of quality and can be quite expensive. Same as Falke they are quite accomodating to larger calves. They are some of the longest lasting socks I've had. In Italy there are still loads of shops selling a wide variety of unkown brands that are of very decent quality, unfortunately they're usually not available online.

Meschausettesrouges.com have a very decent selection of brands and patterns. I've ordered from the once when they started out and can't really comment on quality.

Falke make great ski socks. They stay up over the calf and they are warm and comfortable. Labelled Left and Right too, for some reason. It makes sense to use them in colder weather - not just for ski trips. I suspect Falke also offer unbranded ski socks for Lidl and Aldi.

Clearing out stuff today and I found some free socks sent with a catalogue by a company called bamboo. I have not worn them. They are in loud Jon Snow/David Dimbleby hoops.

Falke makes excellent socks in general. I have a number of their hiking merino socks and they are bulletproof and long lasting.

+1. Falke for activity socks, when in boots and running. For no-show, in sneakers and loafers. As everyday workhorse casual socks, Tiago and Airport are good too.
For "finer" ones, I shop around a bit. Sozzi disappointed me. Viccel´s are good, if you get the right models.

How long have you had your socks for? Where have they worn out, please give details.

Viccel silk/wool are nice socks to wear, very comfortable and much better than cotton sox. I think you should try a few pairs.

They're wearing very thin both at the heels and also underneath the toes - so thin that the fabric is transparent. I've been wearing them for about seven years, from memory, both thin wool and cotton socks by Marcoliani.

Falke makes excellent socks in general.

I have a pair of cashmere Falke socks that I picked up on sale in Japan some years ago and yes, they are very nice. Thick, warm, very soft.

Viccel´s are good, if you get the right models.

A few recommendations for Viccel. I shall have to give them a try.

Viccel value for money. Falke for longevity. Ditto, a Scandinavian brand called 'EGTVED'; eschew the ones with unacceptable poly mix and the all-wool or 90% wool is best. My favourites though are my Gallos and Bresciani's- latter terribly overpriced. The former, if you ignore the wild patterns and colours and go for something a bit more conservative are excellent socks. Had some for 20+ years and standing.

Falke make great ski socks. They stay up over the calf and they are warm and comfortable. Labelled Left and Right too, for some reason. It makes sense to use them in colder weather - not just for ski trips. I suspect Falke also offer unbranded ski socks for Lidl and Aldi.

Clearing out stuff today and I found some free socks sent with a catalogue by a company called bamboo. I have not worn them. They are in loud Jon Snow/David Dimbleby hoops.
Aah. I have a few pairs of Aldi socks otc for bumming around at home and building gardening etc. They are a mix of what they call motorbike socks and hiking socks. They fit your description above of Falke. Wear well

Journeyman why not darn them? See shooeys post a while back

Are you sure? They are local to me. The ones I have seen, did not look that impressive. Designs that appealed to the kind of man, who shops for socks with his wife.

The last one I bought was 7/8 years ago on a layover in Copenhagen, about 8 100% Wool OTC navy and charcoal ribbed socks. I bought 4 of each. 4 are still fine. I wear them every other week every autumn/ winter. Maybe they have changed the recipe?

Maybe I got lucky? EGTVED I found had different lines.

Last edited:
Went to two department stores, to have a look.
Only one line is 100% wool - autumn/winter model, in navy, grey and charcoal. So most likely the same you lucked out on?

The rest are wool, cotten or bamboo, mixed with 20 - 40% poly. My guess is, that it's been that way for years. They produce what sells, at the target margin. Their costumor prefer the blends over 100% material, as they have stretch and last longer. Sizing is easy too with a bracket of 40-45 (40-43 for pure wool).
= less hassle.

Ok price though. All lines, 3 pairs for ~200 dkk (30 usd) incl. tax.

Are you sure? They are local to me. The ones I have seen, did not look that impressive. Designs that appealed to the kind of man, who shops for socks with his wife.

1931 - The Locht family establish Egtved sock factory in the town of Egtved, Denmark

2004 - factory was moved to Lithuania.

Now owned by:

JBS TEXTILE GROUP A/S
BORNHOLMSVEJ 1
7400 HERNING
DENMARK

Makes sence. Most of danish textile companies, have their offices in that area (SNS Herning, JBS, Ege Carpets, with the colossus Bestseller not far away). Local production moved to the Baltics and Polan start/mid 2000.

They're wearing very thin both at the heels and also underneath the toes - so thin that the fabric is transparent. I've been wearing them for about seven years, from memory, both thin wool and cotton socks by Marcoliani.

I have a pair of cashmere Falke socks that I picked up on sale in Japan some years ago and yes, they are very nice. Thick, warm, very soft.

A few recommendations for Viccel. I shall have to give them a try.

Journeyman Journeyman

how are your viccel socks going, how do they compare to Marcoliani?

Personally l am a fan of the wool/silk socks, they are by far my favourites. Why? Decent thickness and comfort and keep feet fresh.

Not such a fan of the 100% wool socks. Why? Feel more flimsy and not as comfortable (thinner).

Force myself to wear the cotton socks. Why? Sometimes the ends can rub the toes and they leave the feet less fresh at the end of day, ie, feet can be more clammy because cotton doesn't absorb as well as wool.

Slightly off topic: The properties of cashmere v's cotton is also amazing. Eg, l can only wear a cotton polo once before it needs washing, but a cashmere polo can be worn numerous times before body odor smell comes.

For casual wear or wearing in boots, you can’t go past Darn Tough socks. My only complaint is that there are far too many combinations of height, thickness, fabric combinations etc.

Made in Vermont and guaranteed for life.

For knocking around the garden and up country etc can’t beat ALDI motorbike socks. OTC but a mixture of cotton and synthetic. Doesn’t suit everyone.

Bought three pairs of each in the sales. Silk/wool socks. Not my favourite sock pattern but l couldn't resist the 25% discount. Socks are getting expensive these days.

Viccel red herringbone socks 1.jpg viccel gray herringbone socks.jpg

Done a big spring clean and surprisingly l found 2 large boxes full of sox.

Last edited:
Socks are indeed getting expensive but as we have all mostly been locked down inside, I have gone full 'dude' ala Lebowksi most days and resorted to wool slippers sans socks.

I agree The Shooman The Shooman , wool-silk is a treat on the toes. Even better, is cashmere-silk but only on special occasions and it can be too warm. Yep, cotton polo won once, twice maximum before it is washed. Wool/cash jumps can be worn multiple times and be fine.

Last edited:
Being a collector of socks, l bought a stack today at the 30% off sale from Viccel.

Here are some of my new pairs, many in multiple copies, but only about 10 pairs of silk/wool this time around. I like all the different sock designs and colours, and l tend to buy lots of them. The pair of socks l have on today look stunning!!! I love the striped designs the best of all.

Oops, l just noticed multiple pairs of silk/wool socks were not ordered. Never mind...will get them next time.

The light purple and mauve socks go perfectly with my purple Lobbs.

Attachments

• Viccel socks 1.jpg
    Viccel socks 1.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Viccel socks 2.jpg
    Viccel socks 2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Viccel socks 3.jpg
    Viccel socks 3.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 81
  • Viccel socks 4.jpg
    Viccel socks 4.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Viccel socks 5.jpg
    Viccel socks 5.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Viccel socks 6.jpg
    Viccel socks 6.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Viccel socks 7.jpg
    Viccel socks 7.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Viccel socks 8.jpg
    Viccel socks 8.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Viccel socks 9.jpg
    Viccel socks 9.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Viccel socks 10.jpg
    Viccel socks 10.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Viccel socks 11.jpg
    Viccel socks 11.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Viccel socks 12.jpg
    Viccel socks 12.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Viccel socks 13.jpg
    Viccel socks 13.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Viccel socks 14.jpg
    Viccel socks 14.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Viccel socks 15.jpg
    Viccel socks 15.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 81
  • Viccel socks 16.jpg
    Viccel socks 16.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Viccel socks 17.jpg
    Viccel socks 17.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Viccel socks 18.jpg
    Viccel socks 18.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Viccel socks 19.jpg
    Viccel socks 19.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
When I was a kid I read somewhere once that Jerry Lewis only ever wore new socks - a new pair everyday.

That seemed very cool to me

Being a collector of socks, l bought a stack today at the 30% off sale from Viccel.

Here are some of my new pairs, many in multiple copies, but only about 10 pairs of silk/wool this time around. I like all the different sock designs and colours, and l tend to buy lots of them. The pair of socks l have on today look stunning!!! I love the striped designs the best of all.

Oops, l just noticed multiple pairs of silk/wool socks were not ordered. Never mind...will get them next time.

The light purple and mauve socks go perfectly with my purple Lobbs.
Excellent choice of sok wiv the shoos Shooey. Tell us about the shoos which are owtstanding!

Can you go into a little more detail?

not the op, but i've bought some pairs from a blow out sale for under 7 euro a pair

they're very fine, very similar to bresciani, maybe even a bit finer

very dressy, i doubt they'll last long though

I have upgraded my socks to 100% cotton from Corgi, Pantherella and Falke. I bought an Italian Filo di Scozia pair, but then are too fine i.e. very thin...

20210303_113322.jpg

I have upgraded my socks to 100% cotton from Corgi, Pantherella and Falke. I bought an Italian Filo di Scozia pair, but then are too fine i.e. very thin...

View attachment 36602
I think Pantherella are pretty thin and short lasting socks.

Just get Burlington argyles now and several pairs throughout the year. They don't last that long, but what do you want from socks? Prefer their more peacock ones. A bit of brightness in socks is good, but never hilarious motifs on socks.

I bought 10 pairs green wool socks for the Canadian Forces at the surplus stores 3 years ago, have not toss a single pair yet.

One day soon l am going to buy numerous pairs of these. Have wanted knee high argyles for years, and these seem to be the only suitable ones available. I like 10 of the socks on the chart, so if l bought 3 of each i'd consider my argyle mission complete. From Kabazz' site.
Kabbaz bresciani socks.jpg

Hugo talks about how to be reach the higher levels of the `sock world', ie, how to become a BIG sock daddy. .

I think Pantherella are pretty thin and short lasting socks.

+1. I've had some woollen Pantherella socks and they were good.

However, all of the cotton Pantherella socks that I've had were disappointing. The cotton lost its softness and became "crisp" quite quickly, they became less stretchy, and also wore quickly at the heel.

I've been much happier with socks from brands such as Marcoliani - much longer lasting.

One day soon l am going to buy numerous pairs of these. Have wanted knee high argyles for years, and these seem to be the only suitable ones available. I like 10 of the socks on the chart, so if l bought 3 of each i'd consider my argyle mission complete. From Kabazz' site.
View attachment 36607

Hugo talks about how to be reach the higher levels of the `sock world', ie, how to become a BIG sock daddy. .

Hugo is attractive grey haired lady?

I have just ordered 5 pairs of 100% cotton socks from the Portuguese brand Pedemeia.

I have just ordered 5 pairs of 100% cotton socks from the Portuguese brand Pedemeia.

I heard good things about Pedemia but i have never bothered to buy from them, because this is of the proximity? Spaniards don't really like Portuguese goods. When we were kids we used to go on shopping trips to Portugal to buy towels and bed linen that were cheaper in Portugal. Silly I know but somethings get inside of your head and stay here.

I usually buy viccel and uniqlo, i like panterella too, but socks are commodity for me so the less I spend the better

In instagram Iam getting ads for dueple socks. Quite like what they call the ninja turtle colour, they are cheap as chips, so i will be buying a set of 5 to try.

https://dueplesocks.com/

The Pantherella factory

I had to stay in Leicester on business and went on a guided walking tour in the evening. Hosiery has always been an important industry in the town. It was even more important in the days before trousers were worn.

There were also a lot of unsung knitwear suppliers whose garments ended up being sold under department store labels like Marks and Spencer. I never knew Pantherella were British though. I assumed from the name they were Italian.

I cannot stand Greg Wallace and he seems to work his way onto a lot of TV nowadays.

I heard good things about Pedemia but i have never bothered to buy from them, because this is of the proximity? Spaniards don't really like Portuguese goods. When we were kids we used to go on shopping trips to Portugal to buy towels and bed linen that were cheaper in Portugal. Silly I know but somethings get inside of your head and stay here.

I usually buy viccel and uniqlo, i like panterella too, but socks are commodity for me so the less I spend the better

In instagram Iam getting ads for dueple socks. Quite like what they call the ninja turtle colour, they are cheap as chips, so i will be buying a set of 5 to try.

https://dueplesocks.com/

what is this, socks for toddlers

i need bigger sizes

I had to stay in Leicester on business and went on a guided walking tour in the evening. Hosiery has always been an important industry in the town. It was even more important in the days before trousers were worn.

There were also a lot of unsung knitwear suppliers whose garments ended up being sold under department store labels like Marks and Spencer. I never knew Pantherella were British though. I assumed from the name they were Italian.

I cannot stand Greg Wallace and he seems to work his way onto a lot of TV nowadays.
Hear Hear. I don't really watch TV but whenever I am across the TV, I see his balding mug all over on several channels. He is also all over print media too.

Hugo is attractive grey haired lady?

Hugo is a unique man and his hair is part of his unique look. It works for him.
+1. I've had some woollen Pantherella socks and they were good.

However, all of the cotton Pantherella socks that I've had were disappointing. The cotton lost its softness and became "crisp" quite quickly, they became less stretchy, and also wore quickly at the heel.

I've been much happier with socks from brands such as Marcoliani - much longer lasting.

Journeyman Journeyman

Did you end up buying any Viccel sox?
Cotton socks sucks!

It's easy to have that opinion when wearing nice wool and silk socks, but over the summer l have been wearing cotton sox and l admit l have been enjoying them more than l ever have (probably because of the nice colours). Will be nice to get back to animal fibers however.

Hugo is a unique man and his hair is part of his unique look. It works for him.

Journeyman Journeyman

Did you end up buying any Viccel sox?

It's easy to have that opinion when wearing nice wool and silk socks, but over the summer l have been wearing cotton sox and l admit l have been enjoying them more than l ever have (probably because of the nice colours). Will be nice to get back to animal fibers however.
For summer, get yourself some linen socks. I used to wear cotton socks in summer till I discovered linen or a cotton-linen mix. It gives a better wearing experience. Failing that, do as doghouse doghouse does and go sans socks in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom