Socks thread

It is not easy to find Linen socks and they are quite pricy. I got mine (haven't bought any in over five years as I have enough) from Bresciani/ Pantherella and iGent darling, Shibumi (their variety is really nice.

It is not easy to find Linen socks and they are quite pricy. I got mine (haven't bought any in over five years as I have enough) from Bresciani/ Pantherella and iGent darling, Shibumi (their variety is really nice.

Wow they are costly, but probably something good to put on my list of things to get. Actually, been thinking of doing some linen items like trousers and a coat, and maybe some sox too. It is hot for 3 months of the year here, so would be worth while for the comfort.

Interesting how the lady at the Pantherella factory warned against rolling socks, and instead recommended that they are folded.

The ........ mauve socks go perfectly with my purple Lobbs.
I remember a poster warning against mauve socks and said they would be too feminine. HE WAS RIGHT!!! I tried them on the other day with my purple John Lobb and they were awful, not very manly at all. 🩰 I won't be making that mistake again.

This is the offending pair

Does anyone have any experience with Kunert or Dublo socks? Both brands appear to be premium products.

I remember a poster warning against mauve socks and said they would be too feminine. HE WAS RIGHT!!! I tried them on the other day with my purple John Lobb and they were awful, not very manly at all.

To be frank, Shooey, when you are wearing purple shoes, I think that it helps if your socks are a "quieter", more conservative colour, rather than mauve.

Otherwise, you will end up looking like this photo, which was on the Viccel website that you just linked to!

pinkburgundy.jpg

Journeyman Journeyman I always wear these with my purple shoes and it is always WOW. I love the look and others do too.

and if l wear a similar purple gingham check shirt for summer the effect is stunning. Soon l will also do the combo with my light blue shirt and purplish/mauve pocketsquare in my navy blazer or a mauve flower in my lapel hole. Also looking for the ideal purple/mauve patterned necktie and looking to do a bespoke bowtie of similar stripes. All would go well with navy blazer and light blue shirt and lightish grey trousers.

I don't see navy blazers pulled off well online except for aristocrats and royalty (igents fail), so l am really wanting to nail the look, and l think l can do it. The buttons on my blazer have lions heads and are AMAZING, but very discreet. So regal. Trying to style up a notch and really nail the basic looks comprising of grays, navy, browns, blues, white and bone.
Purple viccel socks.jpg

Interesting how the lady at the Pantherella factory warned against rolling socks, and instead recommended that they are folded.

I remember a poster warning against mauve socks and said they would be too feminine. HE WAS RIGHT!!! I tried them on the other day with my purple John Lobb and they were awful, not very manly at all. 🩰 I won't be making that mistake again.

This is the offending pair
Nothing effeminate about those socks.
Journeyman Journeyman I always wear these with my purple shoes and it is always WOW. I love the look and others do too.

and if l wear a similar purple gingham check shirt for summer the effect is stunning. Soon l will also do the combo with my light blue shirt and purplish/mauve pocketsquare in my navy blazer or a mauve flower in my lapel hole. Also looking for the ideal purple/mauve patterned necktie and looking to do a bespoke bowtie of similar stripes. All would go well with navy blazer and light blue shirt and lightish grey trousers.

I don't see navy blazers pulled off well online except for aristocrats and royalty (igents fail), so l am really wanting to nail the look, and l think l can do it. The buttons on my blazer have lions heads and are AMAZING, but very discreet. So regal. Trying to style up a notch and really nail the basic looks comprising of grays, navy, browns, blues, white and bone.
View attachment 36728
Mauve and pinks are great colours for shirts. Very masculine IMCO. I've quite a few and I bought one recently in the T&A sale, I will try and post it tomorrow.

To be frank, Shooey, when you are wearing purple shoes, I think that it helps if your socks are a "quieter", more conservative colour, rather than mauve.

Otherwise, you will end up looking like this photo, which was on the Viccel website that you just linked to!

pinkburgundy.jpg
They are like something out of Tim Burton's Batman...

My favourite socks are the over-the-calf merino ones, usually from Pantherella and Turnbull&Asser. I'm convinced that the latter are made by the former as well, as they are essentially identical, the only difference being the price (noticeably higher for T&A). Turnbull&Asser offer however more colours, some really nice. The reference model is the Pantherella Naish, but the Laburnum is also attractive and offers a wider colour selection. Other nice socks in my selection come from Bresciani, especially nice in houdstooth patterns, and from Falke, in solid colours in merino, in cotton lile (fil d'Ecosse), in piuma cotton, in cashmere. Pantherella, Turnbull&Asser and Falke can be bought from their websites, Bresciani, as well as some other good brands, are offered by: https://meschaussettesrouges.com/.

One day soon l am going to buy numerous pairs of these. Have wanted knee high argyles for years, and these seem to be the only suitable ones available. I like 10 of the socks on the chart, so if l bought 3 of each i'd consider my argyle mission complete. From Kabazz' site.
View attachment 36607

Hugo talks about how to be reach the higher levels of the `sock world', ie, how to become a BIG sock daddy. .

I can´t believe why high octane cars will be banned in Uk soon but walking with those socks has no death penalty by crime against humanity.

I can´t believe why high octane cars will be banned in Uk soon but walking with those socks has no death penalty by crime against humanity.
That was funny. Have you adjusted your meds? You are making sense lately.

Although you missed an opportunity to savage langa taranga!

That was funny. Have you adjusted your meds? You are making sense lately.

Although you missed an opportunity to savage langa taranga!

no,I took my whipe to whipe the merchants on the temple as tanga 30 min ago.

Was of your taste?

Since Sarto gives me high tips daily, I can eat proteins so my brain is more agile now

I like Bresciani socks, as said especially in merino with houndstooth pattern, however after washing they tend to twist and become fuzzier.
20210417_094635.jpg
20210417_094943.jpg

Might be manufactured by the same factory. Which brand is cheaper, I am just curious on rebranding.
Pantherella is noticeably cheaper: € 25,50 vs € 50 at T&A. Both 2x2 rib, both 90% merino 10% nylon (the balance was for both 80 to 20 until not so long time ago). But, as I said, T&A have many more colours.

Pantherella is noticeably cheaper: € 25,50 vs € 50 at T&A. Both 2x2 rib, both 90% merino 10% nylon (the balance was for both 80 to 20 until not so long time ago). But, as I said, T&A have many more colours.

So with the famous brand as T&A it cost way more? The expectable...

My experience is to avoid all kind of petrol derivates on socks mainly, it makes my feet sweet and bad odor. I only use what they call “Scottish cotton”, are soft, cheap, elegant and last a lot of machine washes cycles. That is important.

I only use it in black,, navy, chocolate brown and burgundy, depending the shoe I have found on the garbagge that month.

I'm a bit partial to Bresciani because they fit me very well in size small (or 10.5) and have orange silk tassels in the toe as a finishing touch. Orange is my favourite colour.

This german site sells 6pack in many colours (cotton or wool) for 105 euros which makes the pair 17,5. Quite reasonable imo.

T&A have a relationship with Corgi socks. Corgi now produce their sweaters.

So with the famous brand as T&A it cost way more? The expectable...

My experience is to avoid all kind of petrol derivates on socks mainly, it makes my feet sweet and bad odor. I only use what they call “Scottish cotton”, are soft, cheap, elegant and last a lot of machine washes cycles. That is important.

I only use it in black,, navy, chocolate brown and burgundy, depending the shoe I have found on the garbagge that month.
What is Scottish cotton? Sounds like an unsock.

I know it's a socks thread but what are your favourite underwear?

I have tried Zimmerli (cotton and modal) and while I like the packaging, the fit and the look, the price (60 euros) is too high for its quality. I had a bad experience with a basic model of Hanro (30 euros back in 2013 so doubt their cheaper models will be better) and I don't know if I will give them another try. Before that I tried Sunspel and my assessment is similar to that of Hanro.

ZD (Spanish company) use to do a model for around 30 euros that was far superior to anything I've handled (Zimmerli, Hanro or Sunspel) but the bunch I bought back in 2015 is reaching the end of their useful life.

I'm looking for something with covered waistband. Ideal design would be something similar to this:

image_706_710_486_1.jpg

There are over 50 good European brands
Including

Switzerland
Zimmerli as mentioned above.
Hanro
ISA
Calida
Germany
Novila - possibly even more luxurious than Zimmerli
Mey
France
Eminence
Spain
Zero Defects
Italy
Bresciani - In the top 5.
Oscalito
Julipet
Lisanza Uomo
Perofil
Cagi
Boglietti
Alpina
Olimpia
Ragno
Moretta
Liabel
Felis
La Furlana
Ireland
Vedoneire
Croatia
Kozo

I know it's a socks thread but what are your favourite underwear?

I have tried Zimmerli (cotton and modal) and while I like the packaging, the fit and the look, the price (60 euros) is too high for its quality. I had a bad experience with a basic model of Hanro (30 euros back in 2013 so doubt their cheaper models will be better) and I don't know if I will give them another try. Before that I tried Sunspel and my assessment is similar to that of Hanro.

ZD (Spanish company) use to do a model for around 30 euros that was far superior to anything I've handled (Zimmerli, Hanro or Sunspel) but the bunch I bought back in 2015 is reaching the end of their useful life.

I'm looking for something with covered waistband. Ideal design would be something similar to this:

image_706_710_486_1.jpg
Lately, as in for the past three years, I have settled on Hamilton and Hare. Yes, they cab be pricy and are Crompton approved but I buy them in bulk ( 2 lots of 240 and it offsets the cost a little. And so far, I haven't had to replace.

It is comfortable , looks good and I like the muted colour and I don't have to think about them. A man shouldn't really fuss much over his undergarments.

Lately, as in for the past three years, I have settled on Hamilton and Hare. Yes, they cab be pricy and are Crompton approved but I buy them in bulk ( 2 lots of 240 and it offsets the cost a little. And so far, I haven't had to replace.

It is comfortable , looks good and I like the muted colour and I don't have to think about them. A man shouldn't really fuss much over his undergarments.
I bought a pair. They were awful, I think I got a return where someone had spilled yoghurt on their boxers.

There are over 50 good European brands
Including

Switzerland
Zimmerli as mentioned above.
Hanro
ISA
Calida
Germany
Novila - possibly even more luxurious than Zimmerli
Mey
France
Eminence
Spain
Zero Defects
Italy
Bresciani - In the top 5.
Oscalito
Julipet
Lisanza Uomo
Perofil
Cagi
Boglietti
Alpina
Olimpia
Ragno
Moretta
Liabel
Felis
La Furlana
Ireland
Vedoneire
Croatia
Kozo
I wear Hanro woven, and Filo di Scozia from Oscalito, Perofil and Felis.

I wear Hanro woven, and Filo di Scozia from Oscalito, Perofil and Felis.
From Oscalito I have two t-shirts in merino and silk mix, very pleasant. Moreover I have some from Ragno in heavy ribbed wool, but they are for the real cold days. Usually I wear briefs and undershirts in ribbed cotton from Cagi.

From Oscalito I have two t-shirts in merino and silk mix, very pleasant. Moreover I have some from Ragno in heavy ribbed wool, but they are for the real cold days. Usually I wear briefs and undershirts in ribbed cotton from Cagi.
I was going to order from Cagi. But I left it too late, and now they don't deliver to the UK. However, Felis is very similar and a little less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom