Socks thread

I know it's a socks thread but what are your favourite underwear?

I am very boring and plebeian - I wear Uniqlo underwear. It's served me well for the past 15 years (multiple pairs, of course!).

They were awful, I think I got a return where someone had spilled yoghurt on their boxers.

I've got some bad news for you - that probably wasn't yoghurt on those boxers...

I wear Hanro woven, and Filo di Scozia from Oscalito, Perofil and Felis.

20200110_120348.jpg

20210322_193029.jpg

20210322_193355.jpg

20210322_193723.jpg

I am very boring and plebeian - I wear Uniqlo underwear. It's served me well for the past 15 years (multiple pairs, of course!).

I've got some bad news for you - that probably wasn't yoghurt on those boxers...

Tzatziki?

20190128_130943.jpg
20190128_130732.jpg

I find white underwear to be old mannish and generally awful looking. Not to mention fussy to maintain but to each their own.

if it wasn't yoghurt, what could it have been Journeyman Journeyman ? Please explain.

btw, this discussion on under garments is helpful. I have been looking at Zimerli myself, but anything of good quality will do.

Zimmerli, Hanro and Bresciani are all Sea Island cotton at the top of the range. Novila is Giza 70. ISA and Calida can be certified Swiss Cotton. Mey is Peruvian Pima. The rest are generally Filo di Scozia or Mako/Egyptian cotton. Although Oscalito is very expensive for Filo di Scozia.

Thruth Thruth the Dachstein socks. Do you recommend l go up 1 size for these? I can't find your old post about this.

These extra thick ply

and these

I laugh at what this bloke said about them:

"What about Dachstein wool socks? I still have some from the mid 80's and they're still going strong. Never wore a pair out"

Thruth Thruth the Dachstein socks. Do you recommend l go up 1 size for these? I can't find your old post about this.

These extra thick ply

and these

I laugh at what this bloke said about them:

"What about Dachstein wool socks? I still have some from the mid 80's and they're still going strong. Never wore a pair out"
Roughly 1 size down to your shoe size. So I am a 9 and take an 8 in the sock

Got my new order of Darn Tough socks. Just want to reiterate that these are the best socks made in the US

CRAP-Tom has a collaboration with anyone willing to exchange enough money for his shilling. YMMV.

Is this merchant still about. I think I read about William Abraham seven or so years ago and their overpriced socks.

Then again I suppose there is a market for it as Crompton even had a collaboration a while back
They have a website with shop, so apparently still running. The socks are certainly overpriced, but, according to their seller they are the best you can get for your feet: only natural luxurious fibres and also some unusual pattern for the most adventurous who want to wear something besides the classic solid colours, without going tacky of course. Even though I would be curious to try something, I think there are better values, as socks are obviously highly exposed to wearing out and it's not worth spending that much for a product that has possibly a rather short life.

Is this merchant still about. I think I read about William Abraham seven or so years ago and their overpriced socks.

Then again I suppose there is a market for it as Crompton even had a collaboration a while back
Owned by a banker/hedge fund dude.

I still posit it's impossible to beat Marcoliani
What are they so special for?

No direct experience with that brand, but from what I saw on the web their products look too fancy to me (like Gallo). Moreover I'm always distrustful toward socks in one size.

Last edited:
What are they so special for?

No direct experience with that brand, but from what I saw on the web their products look too fancy to me (like Gallo). Moreover I'm always distrustful toward socks in one size.
I would not say they are special, just that they are consistently top notch and wear fantastically.

I certainly wouldn't call them fancy, though they have some loud designs. Plenty of plain offerings too.

I am going to take the plunge on some of these soon. There are about 14 different designs l like.

Bresciani 90% wool.

Bresciani argyles 2.jpg

Bresciani argyles 1.jpg

Have never heard of William Abraham. Very surprised to see them. Nice socks, but don't want to pay that much.

I am going to take the plunge on some of these soon. There are about 14 different designs l like.

Bresciani 90% wool.

View attachment 37939

View attachment 37938

Have never heard of William Abraham. Very surprised to see them. Nice socks, but don't want to pay that much.
Just got delivered the same wool/plastic mix 90/10 by Bresciani. Curious about fit and durability. The Mazarin I order from their ligne super-solide are marked 44-45 and slightly too big for my 44 feet. Hope Bresciani in 43-44 will be better!

Just got delivered the same wool/plastic mix 90/10 by Bresciani. Curious about fit and durability. The Mazarin I order from their ligne super-solide are marked 44-45 and slightly too big for my 44 feet. Hope Bresciani in 43-44 will be better!
Mes Chaussettes Rouges, I presume.

Mes Chaussettes Rouges, I presume.
they don't sell argyles.

From here:

I notice some socks have red threads on them attaching the two socks together. Why do they do that?

Kirby has the same thing on his socks. Seems pretty odd.

Last edited:
they don't sell argyles.

From here:

I notice some socks have red threads on them attaching the two socks together. Why do they do that?

Kirby has the same thing on his socks. Seems pretty odd.
That site has a plenty of socks. I don't have argyle jumpers, but some socks and I like the style. Stitching the two socks of a pair together is a widespread use in Italy, I think it has a purely aesthetical purpose. Actually it's unpleasant as you have to pay care in cutting the thread.

By the way Bresciani uses a yellow thread:

20210513_074202.jpg

Last edited:
Don't have argyle socks either. Well, I have one pair that is cotton and as I have said many a time, cotton socks sucks.

Finding wool-silk-cash argyles eludes me.

Then get those wool-nylon blend Bresciani, they are excellent.
I'd actually strongly recommend getting the Pima cotton Marcoliani if you want a good Argyle. I have both and Bresciani are total garbage relatively speaking. Lighter than tissue paper. How much better Marcoliani are vis a vis Bresciani is what generally informs my opinion of them just as an aside.

pima-cotton-over-the-calf-marcoliani-argyle-socks-royal-with-grey-sky-4333l-007_1.jpg

Then get those wool-nylon blend Bresciani, they are excellent.

I bought 4 pairs of the Bresciani. Three are 90-10/wool-nylon and one in 100% cotton. I nearly wasn't going to do it because the postage is almost $100 for 4 pairs of socks, and l really loathe the idea of paying so much postage. l checked O'Connells for argyles, and while many are very nice, they don't sell wool argyles over-the-calf. The fact is, if l want great looking luxury wool argyles of my dreams, l must pay the $$$. They look really superb, so l sucked it up and bought them. Thank goodness the dollar is much better recently, but l still feel i've been punched after that postage. They will be my special sox.

I shall build up my collection slowly.

Got some real beauties.

Kabbaz argyle 2.jpg
Kabbaz argyle 3.jpg
Kabbaz argyle 4.jpg
Kabbaz argyle 1.jpg

I'd actually strongly recommend getting the Pima cotton Marcoliani if you want a good Argyle. I have both and Bresciani are total garbage relatively speaking. Lighter than tissue paper. How much better Marcoliani are vis a vis Bresciani is what generally informs my opinion of them just as an aside.

pima-cotton-over-the-calf-marcoliani-argyle-socks-royal-with-grey-sky-4333l-007_1.jpg
Aren't they one size fits all? How do they fit?

80% cotton 20 nylon. Rrr.

Aren't they one size fits all? How do they fit?

80% cotton 20 nylon. Rrr.
Actually I don't think that cotton socks need some nylon "reinforcement", but the major negative point is in fact the one size: how can it fit as well a 39 as a 45 size foot is difficult to understand, besides any aesthetic aversion (a sock looking very short).

Last edited:
I find the viccel 100% cotton socks really good for durability and non shrinkage, but the wool/silk blends can shrink and corrode. I have darned some silk/wool viccel socks numerous times. One silk/wool sock even got a hole in the toe on the first wear.

I bought 4 pairs of the Bresciani. Three are 90-10/wool-nylon and one in 100% cotton. I nearly wasn't going to do it because the postage is almost $100 for 4 pairs of socks, and l really loathe the idea of paying so much postage. l checked O'Connells for argyles, and while many are very nice, they don't sell wool argyles over-the-calf. The fact is, if l want great looking luxury wool argyles of my dreams, l must pay the $$$. They look really superb, so l sucked it up and bought them. Thank goodness the dollar is much better recently, but l still feel i've been punched after that postage. They will be my special sox.

I shall build up my collection slowly.

Got some real beauties.

View attachment 37992View attachment 37993View attachment 37994View attachment 37991
I like especially the first two pairs. I'm also considering to buy there, but the shipping costs, as you say, are really enormous and discouraging. Fact is however that they have a really huge offer of argyles in beautiful colours, never seen elsewhere.

Last edited:
I like especially the first two pairs. I'm also considering to buy there, but the shipping costs, as you say, are really enormous and discouraging. Fact is however that they have a really huge offer of argyles in beautiful colours, never seen elsewehere.

Yes, those first two pairs are fantastic, and they have the potential to make an outfit really pop.

As you say, you will not see such beautiful argyles anywhere else. This alone makes will make the indulgence worth it. There is nothing quite like a beautiful sock/shoo/trouser combination, it makes a statement like nothing else can, and it is very satisfying to do it at a very high level. I am really looking forward to these, and l plan to really enjoy wearing them.

You see, it is not about the dollar per wear, it is about the enjoyment a piece of clothing gives you. Clothing is never a rational thing, hence buying these sox. The satisfaction will always outweigh the dollar value. Clothes can't be rationalised in dollar value IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom