Socks thread

Yes, those first two pairs are fantastic, and they have the potential to make an outfit really pop.

As you say, you will not see such beautiful argyles anywhere else. This alone makes will make the indulgence worth it. There is nothing quite like a beautiful sock/shoo/trouser combination, it makes a statement like nothing else can, and it is very satisfying to do it at a very high level. I am really looking forward to these, and l plan to really enjoy wearing them.

You see, it is not about the dollar per wear, it is about the enjoyment a piece of clothing gives you. Clothing is never a rational thing, hence buying these sox. The satisfaction will always outweigh the dollar value. Clothes can't be rationalised in dollar value IMO.
I totally agree: the value of something is difficult to be established, what really matters is the pleasure and satisfaction that its possession give us and makes the purchase worth.

I bought 4 pairs of the Bresciani. Three are 90-10/wool-nylon and one in 100% cotton. I nearly wasn't going to do it because the postage is almost $100 for 4 pairs of socks, and l really loathe the idea of paying so much postage. l checked O'Connells for argyles, and while many are very nice, they don't sell wool argyles over-the-calf. The fact is, if l want great looking luxury wool argyles of my dreams, l must pay the $$$. They look really superb, so l sucked it up and bought them. Thank goodness the dollar is much better recently, but l still feel i've been punched after that postage. They will be my special sox.

I shall build up my collection slowly.

Got some real beauties.

View attachment 37992View attachment 37993View attachment 37994View attachment 37991
Why no REGATTA?!?

I find the viccel 100% cotton socks really good for durability and non shrinkage, but the wool/silk blends can shrink and corrode. I have darned some silk/wool viccel socks numerous times. One silk/wool sock even got a hole in the toe on the first wear.
Do you have the ribbed or the plain ones? I find the socks with herringbone pattern very attractive. I also have not too good experience with wool/silk blend, even though in a different balance, from Falke: they were (if I remember well) 70% wool and 30 silk and rather delicate and prone to pierce. Maybe they have noticed it and have responded by adding some nylon (current balance 60/25 and 15% polyamid).
By the way, they also have added a 13% nylon to their cashmere socks, once pure. Their merino classic blend contains a 25% polyamid, that is somewhat high perhaps, but the socks are quite sturdy, though fine and luxurious, certainly recommendable.

Why no REGATTA?!?

That's something on the list, but l feel no immediate need for it.

Here are some more Kabbaz sox, but Marcoliani 60% Lux Cashmere/26% Pure Silk/14% Nylon. Very nice, and a special occasion sock. Maybe one day.

Kabbaz silk-cashmere socks.jpg

Do you have the ribbed or the plain ones?
I have them all. 😍

I find the socks with herringbone pattern very attractive.

Those are actually better made. They shrink less and are stronger. I like them much more than l expected. It looks like Viccel have got the making of these right, they have come a long way in sock making. Their wool socks and wool/silk socks are much better now.

I also have not too good experience with wool/silk blend, even though in a different balance, from Falke: they were (if I remember well) 70% wool and 30 silk and rather delicate and prone to pierce. Maybe they have noticed it and have responded by adding some nylon (current balance 60/25 and 15% polyamid).

They are more delicate, but they sure provide a great sock wearing experience. The silk/wool combination is tops.

By the way, they also have added a 13% nylon to their cashmere socks, once pure. Their merino classic blend contains a 25% polyamid, that is somewhat high perhaps, but the socks are quite sturdy, though fine and luxurious, certainly recommendable.

Good to know, and makes me think those cashmere posted in above post may be something to try.

Curiously Kirby Allison affirms that pure wool is more durable than blends: I can rather imagine the opposite being true, but honestly don't know exactly nor I'm aware of related tests. Possibly it's just because he sells pure wool items from Italian Palatino.

Do they react to even small (10%) amounts?
I don’t even know, I haven’t worn those cotton/plastic things in years. Imho it is just another way to cut cost while simultaneously selling it as an advantage (durability) to inexperienced customers.

I have some cashmere and cashmere/merino blends with plastic in them, they are ok for very low temperatures. e. just checked, they have 5% lycra in them.

Last edited:
Curiously Kirby Allison affirms that pure wool is more durable than blends: I can rather imagine the opposite being true, but honestly don't know exactly nor I'm aware of related tests. Possibly it's just because he sells pure wool items from Italian Palatino.

Talking nonsense. Some ten years back, I only wore beautiful, thick pure wool socks in winter which I had always found at a lovely haberdasher in Paris 8ème, Berteil. Although the finest socks to look at and very comfortable, they would develop holes after a good year of wear or two. But they were so much nicer to wear than all the other shit I had to tolerate in the years thereafter - I might need to call them up again.

I only wore beautiful, thick pure wool socks in winter which I had always found at a lovely haberdasher in Paris 8ème, Berteil.
Do you mean their hunting socks? They were also offered previously by Mes Chaussettes Rouges. Nice, but very thick, so more suitable with heavy boots.

Yes, those used to be lovely ! But they also had woollen Argyles in the most beautiful colours and patterns. Corduroy trousers also a strongpoint. But not a store for iGents. They sell classic clothing of high quality. Cunts have to remain outside.

Nice looking argyles here, from Ben Silver once upon a time.
image_2021-05-15_005541.png

Late edit: guess what l found. AHA!

Nice looking argyles here, from Ben Silver once upon a time.
View attachment 38004

Late edit: guess what l found. AHA!

Great! Another source for fine argyle socks.:)

I took a look at some old posts in this thread and want to come back on some points.

Slightly off topic: The properties of cashmere v's cotton is also amazing. Eg, l can only wear a cotton polo once before it needs washing, but a cashmere polo can be worn numerous times before body odor smell comes.

Yes, absolutely. Wool, cashmere and camelhair (I suppose also alpaca, vicunia, cervelt, etc) have the wonderful property of not absorbing body odours (or maybe rejecting them). As I already wrote, the great majority of my knitwear is still unwashed (well, except for turtlenecks I wear everything over a shirt).
I remember a poster warning against mauve socks and said they would be too feminine. HE WAS RIGHT!!! I tried them on the other day with my purple John Lobb and they were awful, not very manly at all. 🩰 I won't be making that mistake again.

I have to dissent here: mauve, lilac, purple, fuchsia, magenta socks are great, perfectly manly and also versatile.

In this combination I see more the shoes as weird and problematic: think of a pair in tan or in burgundy instead...

pinkburgundy.jpg
PinkBurgundyPinOTC (1).jpg

I have many socks in these shades and I love them. Here some, Turnbull&Asser:

20210514_102839.jpg

Last edited:
I took a look at some old posts in this thread and want to come back on some points.

Yes, absolutely. Wool, cashmere and camelhair (I suppose also alpaca, vicunia, cervelt, etc) have the wonderful property of not absorbing body odours (or maybe rejecting them). As I already wrote, the great majority of my knitwear is still unwashed (well, except for turtlenecks I wear everything over a shirt).

I have to dissent here: mauve, lilac, purple, fuchsia, magenta socks are great, perfectly manly and also versatile.

In this combination I see more the shoes as weird and problematic: think of a pair in tan or in burgundy instead...

View attachment 38180View attachment 38181

View attachment 38182
Do you have a Joker fetish?

View attachment 38180View attachment 38181

View attachment 38182

I like the last 3 pairs. Looks like you have lots of good sox. It's always good when one has a beautifully stocked sock draw. Apparently we aren't supposed to roll sox, we are supposed to fold them. I notice you fold your sox well.

The lads turned up today, here they are. Very nice indeed.
Socks - Kabbaz 1.jpg

I like the last 3 pairs. Looks like you have lots of good sox. It's always good when one has a beautifully stocked sock draw. Apparently we aren't supposed to roll sox, we are supposed to fold them. I notice you fold your sox well.

The lads turned up today, here they are. Very nice indeed.
View attachment 38211
I never roll my socks (and neckties), but I do it out of instinct: do you know why is it not recommendable?

I never roll my socks (and neckties), but I do it out of instinct: do you know why is it not recommendable?

No, but the lady at the pantherella factory said to never rolled them and fold them instead. It is in the video that was posted a few weeks ago.

I like these very much. I have had Argyll pattern socks in my sock drawer for a while without giving them an outing too often.

This post has encouraged me to give them more action.

I had a black, grey and turquoise pair on today and spent a lot of time with my feet up on a chair while in a meeting admiring them.

So sixty pairs of flashy socks and lots of duplicates. Then you will need plain socks too. Maybe Summer and Winter ones.

All seems a bit crazy to me. You can have too much stuff, but at least it’s cheaper than collecting jumpers.

Just bagged a couple of pairs of Pantherella off ebay, cotton knee length jobs. Seller only has one colour, also has the same in the size down. Fair price even with VAT and shipping.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just bagged a couple of pairs of Pantherella off ebay, cotton knee length jobs. Seller only has one colour, also has the same in the size down. Fair price even with VAT and shipping.

More men should wear knee length socks. Women should demand it again.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So sixty pairs of flashy socks and lots of duplicates. Then you will need plain socks too. Maybe Summer and Winter ones.

I wore my first pair of Kabbaz argyle socks. They looked stunning in my sock draw, but when l put them on they didn't look as good. I won't be getting 6 pair of each, i'll just get about 2 dozen pairs and be done with it. I never thought i'd say this, but l like shadow stripe sox much better.

All seems a bit crazy to me. You can have too much stuff, but at least it’s cheaper than collecting jumpers.

Collecting jumpers is still cheaper than collecting shoos, especially the ones l like.

Really keen on buying a bunch of these by Mazarin. 70% wool and 18% cotton.

Mazarin sox 5.jpg

and of course these ones are must haves too.

The famous red socks

Something usual and striking

Kabbaz reckons the cashmere/silk sox are some of the best one can experience. Luxurious and long lasting. If they are long lasting, l might buy 3 pair and see how they go.

Maybe even a pair of these, could be fun without being too silly.

and of course i'll try white socks with my black Lopez loafers.

and of course brilliant purple tones are a must.

Last edited:
I wore my first pair of Kabbaz argyle socks. They looked stunning in my sock draw, but when l put them on they didn't look as good. I won't be getting 6 pair of each, i'll just get about 2 dozen pairs and be done with it. I never thought i'd say this, but l like shadow stripe sox much better.

Collecting jumpers is still cheaper than collecting shoos, especially the ones l like.

Really keen on buying a bunch of these by Mazarin. 70% wool and 18% cotton.

View attachment 38524

and of course these ones are must haves too.

The famous red socks

Something usual and striking

Kabbaz reckons the cashmere/silk sox are some of the best one can experience. Luxurious and long lasting. If they are long lasting, l might buy 3 pair and see how they go.

Maybe even a pair of these, could be fun without being too silly.

and of course i'll try white socks with my black Lopez loafers.

and of course brilliant purple tones are a must.
Don't give up on the Argyle, Shooey: not that the number you intend to get is givng up! Vertical stripes are all well and good. But a stripe like that is just up and down, and so the socks can't have the pleasing in and out of the box complexity of Argyles.

I wore my first pair of Kabbaz argyle socks. They looked stunning in my sock draw, but when l put them on they didn't look as good.

I know that it might be blasphemy, but I wear Uniqlo argyle socks and really like them. Yes, they're cotton with a little bit of some artificial fabric, but Uniqlo socks wear really well and they have a nice variety of argyle patterns that tend to change every few months. I've got about six pairs in different-coloured patterns now.

I know that it might be blasphemy, but I wear Uniqlo argyle socks and really like them. Yes, they're cotton with a little bit of some artificial fabric, but Uniqlo socks wear really well and they have a nice variety of argyle patterns that tend to change every few months. I've got about six pairs in different-coloured patterns now.
me too. there's no shame in wearing uniqlo socks.

me too. there's no shame in wearing uniqlo socks.
If you are happy with the Uniqlo socks, then why not. I would still prefer the product of specialized companies, and most of all tailored socks (no one size).

Uniqlo are fine. I only have the plain ones. Four pairs for a tenner. Marks and Sparks socks with different colour toe and heel are handy for pair matching after they come out of the wash. I have two pairs of long Argylle socks but I don’t wear them much. My long socks are mostly winter ski socks.

The documentary about Pantherella was interesting and I wish them well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom