Socks thread

If you are happy with the Uniqlo socks, then why not. I would still prefer the product of specialized companies, and most of all tailored socks (no one size).
I use both - I think Uniqlo are good value for money and pretty decent. Doesn't mean I don't like Pantherella, MSR, etc.

Mazarin sox 5.jpg

These look really nice.

Yes, those used to be lovely ! But they also had woollen Argyles in the most beautiful colours and patterns. Corduroy trousers also a strongpoint. But not a store for iGents. They sell classic clothing of high quality. Cunts have to remain outside.
Did you put on a disguise to get in? A Sherlock Holmes outfit or something Bavarian?

BTW, talinkg about jokers and fetishes, I love vintage toys but I only can afford watching pics

View attachment 38518 but View attachment 38519

View attachment 38520
Figures are okay if your into Airfix or Italeri 1/72 or 1/48/32 scale plastic soldiers, but the real toy collector is into Space 1999 die-cast Eagles:

3fc353ef9b4d866c76516d2c53a8f301.jpg

Preferred version the Eagle Transporter with radioactive warning signs on the cargo, often found in English gardens and mistaken for real nuclear waste:
Space1999-Freighter-2.jpg

The documentary about Pantherella was interesting and I wish them well.
The merino socks I got free with my last pair of C&J's from them are good. I need to reappraise Pantherella as a brand. All I've had before are cotton ones and they've been disappointing. But when have pure 100% cotton socks been great wearing and long lasting?

The merino socks I got free with my last pair of C&J's from them are good. I need to reappraise Pantherella as a brand. All I've had before are cotton ones and they've been disappointing. But when have pure 100% cotton socks been great wearing and long lasting?
Yes, that's the reason I nearly buy only woolen socks, besides they are also very comfortable.

Figures are okay if your into Airfix or Italeri 1/72 or 1/48/32 scale plastic soldiers, but the real toy collector is into Space 1999 die-cast Eagles:

View attachment 38551
Preferred version the Eagle Transporter with radioactive warning signs on the cargo, often found in English gardens and mistaken for real nuclear waste:
View attachment 38553

I had a Space 1999 model....

I would not be expecting a response from Halberstram. He has been banned.
I thought it was because of me. I was about to impart very high level and advanced information, and l thought maybe he was blocked because he wasn't advanced enough.

I would not be expecting a response from Halberstram. He has been banned.
I remember Jimmy Frost Mellor (RIP) saying only a user name could be banned on the net and not posters. I think that philosophy ruled FNB until Berk Breath ruined it so much even the trolls couldn't be bothered.

I remember Jimmy Frost Mellor (RIP) saying only a user name could be banned on the net and not posters. I think that philosophy ruled FNB until Berk Breath ruined it so much even the trolls couldn't be bothered.
It’s a rare badge of pride to get banned now.

Good luck Halberstram.

I thought it was because of me. I was about to impart very high level and advanced information, and l thought maybe he was blocked because he wasn't advanced enough.
Shooman,

Maybe you should be charging big money for this?

Like the Scientologists. Get a few celebs on board. ‘The fifteen steps to Daddydom’ or something along those lines.

Yes, that's the reason I nearly buy only woolen socks, besides they are also very comfortable.
As I will in future.
I had a Space 1999 model....
I never did and always coveted one, so back in the late 1990s I bought an Eagle transporter in the original mint condition and in the original packaging. Of course, I couldn't resist and immediately opened it.
Having been banned here under extreme ad hominem troll attack...I joined under a new avatar a couple of days later. No problemo.

Jim knew less about technology than I do about sport.

I wore those on Friday. Happy Socks. They were a present a few years ago.

Shoes are from a mid range brand from Spain called Calce specialized in bologna constructions. More than 10 years old.

thumbnail_IMG_20210602_1818266.jpg

Some very beautiful socks that l wish l owned.

Sock - gallo 1.jpg

other striking socks by Gallo

Last edited:
Some very beautiful socks that l wish l owned.

View attachment 38716

other striking socks by Gallo

Gallo is certainly a quality brand, but too flashy, somehow tacky in many of their offers. Moreover they make a lot in the notorious one size (thank to spandex fiber).
The ones you like are from the superior line Tailoring that has properly different sizes.
I wear quite exclusively wool (mix) socks, so not much tempted. Also pretty expensive.

Last edited:
Gallo is certainly a quality brand, but too flashy, somehow tacky in many of their offers. Moreover they make a lot in the notorious one size (thank to spandex fiber).
The ones you like are from the superior line Tailoring that has properly different sizes.
I wear quite exclusively wool (mix) socks, so not much tempted. Also pretty expensive.

Yep, the prices are are little too high for my comfort too. Would be nice to own half a dozen pairs though.

I have these two old Gallo in wool mix still in great shape:

20210609_111601.jpg
20210609_111508.jpg

This pair in linen mix instead was very disappointing (soon shabby and inconsistent). I also eliminated another in a different colour.

20210609_111648.jpg

O.k, l took the plunge and purchased the socks of my dreams, some really nice pairs that l think are perfect. Was originally going to order two pairs of Kabbaz silk/cashmere argyles that are supposed to be excellent and long lasting, but l found they are all sold out. I finally decided to pay through the nose and get some brilliant Gallo shadow striped sock. I will wear these as my `special sox'. When l cross my leg I will see an amazing work of art on my leg with beautiful shoes....a feast for the eyes!!! This is not something l want to do too often, but every now and again l might purchase some pairs as a treat.

Gallo socks
Gallo - green striped.jpg
Gallo - red black striped.jpg
Gallo - red striped.jpg
Gallo - blue striped.jpg

I used to only like wool socks, but l wanted to lower my standards are start liking cotton socks again. Why? Because there are many nice pairs of cotton socks. The choice is too limited with wool. Of course l like wearing wool more, but now l am happy to wear cotton socks again, especially if they are beautiful socks.

Viccel socks report

Wool ribbed socks
The wool ribbed socks are very good. They aren't as luxurious feeling as the silk/wool pairs, but these don't fall down all day, and they are not too tight and difficult to pull on and off either.

Wool/silk socks
The wool/silk socks range from o.k to very good. They all feel very luxurious, but some pairs are much better than others. The houndstooth pairs are all brittle, and they so shrink and can be difficult to pull on and off, and runs can form. I had one pair get a hole in them on the first day. Other pairs have had multiple darnings after limited wears. They feel great however. The herringbone pattern silk/wool blend socks have come a long way, they fit much better, and from memory they could stay up all day. The herringbone silk/wool pairs are Viccel's best socks imo.

Cotton socks
The cotton socks range from poor to good. Some in the range have stretched easily (herringbone and birdseye), and these pairs are also not as fitted around the ankle compared to other cotton socks. The shadow stripes are all great fitting, and excellent, ie they look great and stay up. I have had none get holes in them, they seem to be tough, especially those winter thick cotton socks which l usually like for summer.

I still say some of my best socks ever are my 4 ply alpaca made-in-England socks. Bought a bunch of them from Plum of London. No longer made unfortunately. Knee length rarities.

The houndstooth pairs are all brittle, and they so shrink and can be difficult to pull on and off, and runs can form.
Curiously I have the same problem with my houndstooth wool socks from Bresciani.

The Viccel wool silk pique socks look nice and original, unfortunately only available as short.

Curiously I have the same problem with my houndstooth wool socks from Bresciani.

The Viccel wool silk pique socks look nice and original, unfortunately only available as short.
Bresciani do seem to use better materials than Viccel.

Btw, I have been hand washing my socks for almost 40 years. I would NEVER EVER machine wash my socks. My grand father told me when l was a young bloke "wash your socks by hand, they last twice as long". From that day l followed in his footsteps, and all my jumpers, shirts and trousers are washed by hand.

My mate takes it one step further and washes all his clothes in RO water so the chemicals don't rot his clothes. You should see his house, it is set up like a lab with water running over rocks etc, and water equipment EVERYWHERE!!! He has water of all different kinds for all types of uses and has gauges constantly monitoring 24/7.

Bresciani do seem to use better materials than Viccel.

Btw, I have been hand washing my socks for almost 40 years. I would NEVER EVER machine wash my socks. My grand father told me when l was a young bloke "wash your socks by hand, they last twice as long". From that day l followed in his footsteps, and all my jumpers, shirts and trousers are washed by hand.

My mate takes it one step further and washes all his clothes in RO water so the chemicals don't rot his clothes. You should see his house, it is set up like a lab with water running over rocks etc, and water equipment EVERYWHERE!!! He has water of all different kinds for all types of uses and has gauges constantly monitoring 24/7.
As much as I love my socks, and all my garments, I always machine wash them, as long as they are allowed to. So far I only damaged a pair of pure cashmere socks from Falke: they shrank and felted.

He asked for it. There was no other choice. I read the exchange of words with Truth in the chat and he deserved to be banned.

We had a few bans in this forum but usually well deserved. However I thought he was on time out only and not on permanent ban?

Was wondering where he was until I saw this page. A shame he was banned.

I thought this forum was supposed to be different from the others....
Do you support one member fucking with another member’s life offsite? Is that what you think the difference between DW and other sites should be?

He asked for it. There was no other choice. I read the exchange of words with Truth in the chat and he deserved to be banned.

We had a few bans in this forum but usually well deserved. However I thought he was on time out only and not on permanent ban?

Can it be shared?

Some of my recent sock purchases. I reckon they look great. These can be my special sox. Gallo and Kabbaz
socks 1.jpg

Attachments

• socks 2.jpg
    socks 2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 55
I have understanding for some extra charge due to the prestige of the brand, I also support the policy to produce in the place and to pay fair salaries, but frankly demanding 200 EUR for these rather normal cotton socks is kinda shameless. Brunello Cucinelli.

image (1).jpg
image (2).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom