Socks thread

For brand freaks, Brunello Cucinelli socks with their emblem woven in the knitting:

16002754_31056944_1000.jpg
16002754_31056946_1000.jpg

I completely dislike.

I have understanding for some extra charge due to the prestige of the brand, I also support the policy to produce in the place and to pay fair salaries, but frankly demanding 200 EUR for these rather normal cotton socks is kinda shameless. Brunello Cucinelli.

View attachment 39226View attachment 39227

Even Hermes doesn't that amount.

Brunello Cucinelli wants to give off the image of prestige, but it is really a huff and puff brand. It's all image and not so much substance. Same goes with Inis Meain. Both are mid end brands posing as highend. Brunello Cucinelli looks luxurious, but it isn't the real deal like Loro Piana.

I still reckon Gallo is very expensive. I am surprised they are able to sustain a market for them. What is the deal with Gallo?...are they aiming for snob appeal too?

I don't see good socks in Australia anymore.

Last edited:
I have said it before and I will say it again. Gallo make some of the best socks in the world. I certainly prefer my 15+ year old Gallos that I picked up in Rome. to my 10 year+ Bresciani's in look, feel, comfort etc

Ofc Gallo make a variety of socks , but if you seek to the classics. As close to 100% wool as possible and in sombre colours, you will be fine. Admittedly, that is a minority of their offering these days and they have one of the worst e-commerce websites on the planet.

Even Hermes doesn't that amount.

Brunello Cucinelli wants to give off the image of prestige, but it is really a huff and puff brand. It's all image and not so much substance. Same goes with Inis Meain. Both are mid end brands posing as highend. Brunello Cucinelli looks luxurious, but it isn't the real deal like Loro Piana.

I still reckon Gallo is very expensive. I am surprised they are able to sustain a market for them. What is the deal with Gallo?...are they aiming for snob appeal too?

I don't see good socks in Australia anymore.

I wonder if there's anybody willing to pay those absurd prices.

The Hermes socks are even short.

Brunello Cucinelli, as you know, never appealed to me: as you say it's much image and little substance.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Gallo make some of the best socks in the world. I certainly prefer my 15+ year old Gallos that I picked up in Rome. to my 10 year+ Bresciani's in look, feel, comfort etc

Ofc Gallo make a variety of socks , but if you seek to the classics. As close to 100% wool as possible and in sombre colours, you will be fine. Admittedly, that is a minority of their offering these days and they have one of the worst e-commerce websites on the planet.

Very interesting. Some questions for you:

1). ever tried the cotton Gallo?
2). why are the cotton on the Gallo so rough?

Why are your socks lasting 15 years, do you have a large rotation?

I find Gallo to be fascinating, and l really hope they are worth the money. They certainly make beautiful sox. Very little info on Gallo online....very few igents seem to own them.

Last edited:
I have understanding for some extra charge due to the prestige of the brand, I also support the policy to produce in the place and to pay fair salaries, but frankly demanding 200 EUR for these rather normal cotton socks is kinda shameless. Brunello Cucinelli.

View attachment 39226View attachment 39227
Crazy prices. In such circumstances, one should resort to manufacturers of socks, who only produce socks. With economies of scale, focusing on the manufacturing of said socks, tells us that they can be produced and sold to the highest quality of between €10-20.00 maximum.

Only two pairs l can find that are 100% wool, navy and gray. Actually, l am quite happy to wear boring socks in the colder months.

Only two pairs l can find that are 100% wool, navy and gray. Actually, l am quite happy to wear boring socks in the colder months.

Yes, pretty difficult to find exciting colours in wool: there's mostly the classic black, navy, charcoal and bordeaux. In cotton you have much more.

Yes, pretty difficult to find exciting colours in wool: there's mostly the classic black, navy, charcoal and bordeaux. In cotton you have much more.

I wonder why it is like that. Gallo has some exciting patterns in wool, but not much. I can manage boring socks in the cold months, but as soon as the sun comes out from late Spring l want more exciting socks and shoes.

Some nice linen socks from Kirby. They look nice, but not too exciting, but probably worth the compromise given that linen is supposed to be really nice for hot weather.
Kirby Alision socks 1.jpg

I will buy a bunch of those above and these red linen pair for summer:

Kirby also sells these 100% wool socks, made in Rome. I wonder if they are Gallo. Regardless, these are as boring as watching paint dry. Kirby sells the most boring socks.
Kirby Alision socks 2.jpg

Still looking for some decent thick socks (not too thick) for winter brogues. Thought l had found the perfect sock, 100% by Corgi, but alas it is not over-the-calf. Short socks = ridiculous!

Does anyone know where l can get 100% wool socks that are slightly thicker?

I wonder why it is like that. Gallo has some exciting patterns in wool, but not much. I can manage boring socks in the cold months, but as soon as the sun comes out from late Spring l want more exciting socks and shoes.

Some nice linen socks from Kirby. They look nice, but not too exciting, but probably worth the compromise given that linen is supposed to be really nice for hot weather.
View attachment 39268

I will buy a bunch of those above and these red linen pair for summer:

Kirby also sells these 100% wool socks, made in Rome. I wonder if they are Gallo. Regardless, these are as boring as watching paint dry. Kirby sells the most boring socks.
View attachment 39269

Still looking for some decent thick socks (not too thick) for winter brogues. Thought l had found the perfect sock, 100% by Corgi, but alas it is not over-the-calf. Short socks = ridiculous!

Does anyone know where l can get 100% wool socks that are slightly thicker?

Palatino. They used to be 100% or 90% wool and reasonably thick.

Then again, difficult to source though

Here is a mystery...socks that sell for a fortune, but one size fits all.

Kabbaz has a bunch of nice socks, but Marcolaini only has one size. NO thanks! To be honest, l am not a fan of a high poly count either. 100% wool is nice if you can get it, but will sacrifice some poly content for winter such as with these:
https://customshirt1.com/collection...ashmere-and-silk-socks?variant=30437832720459

Palatino. They used to be 100% or 90% wool and reasonably thick.

Then again, difficult to source though
AHA, l remember reading that on the forums. They are indeed difficult to find, and yes it would not make sense for them to be Gallo because they would never make sox so boring.

AHA, l remember reading that on the forums. They are indeed difficult to find, and yes it would not make sense for them to be Gallo because they would never make sox so boring.
Palatino is certainly Kirby's source of fine socks. I agree with you, he's classic in a boring way, nothing creative or even slightly extravagant.

Bought yesterday on sale, from 40 to 24 EUR. They are Falke in cotton lisle (fil d'Ecosse), I had preferred merino wool, but you hardly find any inspiring colours in that material.

20210715_102316.jpg

Socks are not supposed to be exciting. Boring can mean understated.

Alternatively you can go full Richard Dimbleby/Jon Snow with wacky, colourful socks.

Why not get an interesting tattoo while you are at it ?

There’s no fool like an old fool.

Thruth Thruth

I want to order these Dachstein 3 ply and 4 ply socks. How do they fit again, do l need to size down?

Thruth Thruth

I want to order these Dachstein 3 ply and 4 ply socks. How do they fit again, do l need to size down?

They have sized them in US size which is one size down from the EU sock size. So if you are a UK 8 = US 9 = the EU 39/40. Then choose the US 9.

Socks are not supposed to be exciting. Boring can mean understated.

Alternatively you can go full Richard Dimbleby/Jon Snow with wacky, colourful socks.

Why not get an interesting tattoo while you are at it ?

There’s no fool like an old fool.
I hate to admit it, but I agree with TheFoo on navy blue, burgundy, and charcoal grey being the best colours for socks in most cases. Maybe other dark and understated colours, such as dark brown or bottle green.

I dislike thin silk socks for men, as they are transparent and very effeminate in my eyes.

View attachment 40851
I agree. Also, in my opinion opera pumps are among those garments that are best left to the pages of history books (and possibly Tibor). They look effeminate, and do nothing that a pair of black, well-polished oxfords couldn’t do.

I hate to admit it, but I agree with TheFoo on navy blue, burgundy, and charcoal grey being the best colours for socks in most cases. Maybe other dark and understated colours, such as dark brown or bottle green.

I partly agree: it's true that those dark and subdued colours are easier to match, but I like so much to use the socks for a nice splash of colour, similarly as a tie. Moreover the dark colours don't suit well the light ones, often used in summer, like cream, beige or white.
I agree. Also, in my opinion opera pumps are among those garments that are best left to the pages of history books (and possibly Tibor). They look effeminate, and do nothing that a pair of black, well-polished oxfords couldn’t do

I totally agree: a plain oxford shoe looks so much better than those ridiculous patent pumps.

I am trusting your advice here, so l bought 6 pairs of the Gallo 100% wool sox. 3 pair in navy and 3 pair in grey. I don't like paying Gallo prices, but l know great socks are worth it.
image_2021-08-26_180521.png Gallo wool socks - blue.jpg

Viccel can made good socks, but not always... numerous pairs can slide down. My Kabbaz Bresciani argyles can also slide down a bit too, but they are certainly better than Viccel. I am becoming more of a sock snob these days, l love nothing better than a great pair of socks.

Socks may be the most important part of a wardrobe, they have to be superb, and a man needs to spend good money on them without skimping. Shoes are second in importance...can be skimped on somewhat, but not too much. Trousers are the next most important.

None-the-less, some Viccel are quite good; the 100% wool stays up and fits well and it the right length. The wool/silk feels great, but they need to be longer and not shrink so much. Some of my Viccel cottons are excellent where-as my pin dots all stretch and fall down.

Sox are unpredictable. You never know what is going to be good and what are going to fail. One identical pair will last for ages while the other pair will fail on first wear.

Kingstonian Kingstonian may think sox are boring, but personally l find them very interesting, and shopping for sox is quite exciting. I love nothing more than spending hours reading all the socks threads, very entertaining. I have read many sox threads numerous times. Looking forward to my new pairs, excited to get them.

Yes, the socks are mostly underrated, they can be quite exciting instead. And having nice and comfortable garments at your feet is healthy as well.

When a sock fits well, looks great, stays up and feels good - it is so satisfying. I love looking in my sock draw and appreciating my socks. Buying new socks is always exciting, and wearing great socks definitely makes the day even better.

A guy either appreciates a good sock, or he doesn't. It is hard to find the right words that express my appreciation of good socks, but l know that sock guys understand these things. I don't know enough to be a sock connoisseur yet, but l am slowly climbing the ladder. I may never be a big sock daddy, because l was a late starter, but at least l am in good company....there are a few big sock daddies here, and l am greatful for them showing me what's what and helping me elevate to higher levels of `the sock world'.

Sock daddies = florisgreen florisgreen Thruth Thruth and especially QuandoDio QuandoDio (huge sock daddy).

I probably care more about and have stronger opinions about my socks than any other piece of clothing
Tell us more, please tell us more. I want to know everything, please expand on this comment as much as humanly possible. Write an entire page if you need to.

I must admit, l am very impressed with that comment. Obviously this Doggy fella is not your average guy. O.k Doggy, fill us in with what's going on in your mind. Leave nothing out.

Tell us more, please tell us more. I want to know everything, please expand on this comment as much as humanly possible. Write an entire page if you need to.

I must admit, l am very impressed with that comment. Obviously this Doggy fella is not your average guy. O.k Doggy, fill us in with what's going on in your mind. Leave nothing out.

Well to be honest Shooey, I am not sure it takes but so many words because what's actually good is a very narrow window, and what's not good is the vast other.

The one thing I've learned over the years is that a proper fitting sock is the single biggest make or break item for comfort there is. A poor fitting shirt or trousers might just manifest itself in looking bad. A poor fitting sock will drive you mad all day long to the point of insanity.

There's basically two components to how a sock performs. It's cut, which is clearly crucial. Being OTC is part of this obviously. I honestly have no idea how someone who has worn OTC socks could ever go back by the way, it's just so much more comfortable. The second part is fabric. A lot of these fine silks and wools just lose shape almost instantly and start to fall down. They are practically worthless. You need a fiber that will not give, but has a soft handle for wearing next to your skin. I really like Pima cotton in the summer, and fine merino wools in the colder weather personally, but this is all individual choice.

come on shooey. you think everything should be the highest of quality.
hehe, you're funny Rambo, but it's true.

Would rather not skimp on quality.
Would rather have less, but high quality.
I really enjoy quality items.
I'd also prefer not to compromise if l can help it....buy exactly what l want and make dreams come true. It is worth it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom