Socks thread

Well to be honest Shooey, I am not sure it takes but so many words because what's actually good is a very narrow window, and what's not good is the vast other.

The one thing I've learned over the years is that a proper fitting sock is the single biggest make or break item for comfort there is. A poor fitting shirt or trousers might just manifest itself in looking bad. A poor fitting sock will drive you mad all day long to the point of insanity.

There's basically two components to how a sock performs. It's cut, which is clearly crucial. Being OTC is part of this obviously. I honestly have no idea how someone who has worn OTC socks could ever go back by the way, it's just so much more comfortable. The second part is fabric. A lot of these fine silks and wools just lose shape almost instantly and start to fall down. They are practically worthless. You need a fiber that will not give, but has a soft handle for wearing next to your skin. I really like Pima cotton in the summer, and fine merino wools in the colder weather personally, but this is all individual choice.

Over the calf socks are the only choice for a gentleman. And of course good, natural materials and fitting are crucial in a good item. I prefer wool, but Pima cotton and cotton lisle are also good, especially in summer. Cashmere and wool/silk blend are nice sock materials as well. A little nylon is acceptable as it makes the socks sturdier and increases the durability. For me it's very important that the size is appropriate (tailored socks), so absolutely no one size.

Just arrived, my new charge of Pantherella socks.

20210830_103333.jpg

Besides the usual and reliable Laburnum and Naish I also bought a pair of Rutherford in Merino Royale from the Luxury Collection and a pair of Highbury in Merino Wool from the Vintage Collection with houdstooth pattern.

20210830_104001.jpg

20210830_104122.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, when the big sock daddies come out, they do it properly.

florisgreen florisgreen also bought a pair from the luxury collection. He wants his fun. What % are wool?

My Gallo are due in a couple of days. Looking forward to wearing them.

Last edited:
Gallo report

After a few months of sitting in my draws, I decided to wear my first pair of Gallo cotton socks today. I wasn't expecting too much, but l was pleasantly surprised with how good they are. I put them on, they strayed up all day and felt really comfortable. It was only later on in the day when l took them off and studied them in the light that l started to understand what these socks really were. Gallo make the most luxurious socks l have ever owned, the workmanship and quality are pure luxury, INCREDIBLE!!! Now l understand why they are so expensive. Nothing l have seen comes close to comparing.

Gallo sox = the John Lobb prestige of socks
Bresciani sox = the Crockett & Jones handgrade of socks
Viccel sox = the Loake 1880 of socks

Comparing Gallo to Johnny Lobb is not really accurate because Gallo workmanship are so refined, but l am trying to demonstrate a basic idea.
The materials and workmanship of Bresciani is definitely not as good.
Viccel looks clumsy in comparison.

I will wear Gallo as my special socks. Will build my collection up slowly. 30 - 40 pairs would be a good collection to store away.

Gallo report

After a few months of sitting in my draws, I decided to wear my first pair of Gallo cotton socks today. I wasn't expecting too much, but l was pleasantly surprised with how good they are. I put them on, they strayed up all day and felt really comfortable. It was only later on in the day when l took them off and studied them in the light that l started to understand what these socks really were. Gallo make the most luxurious socks l have ever owned, the workmanship and quality are pure luxury, INCREDIBLE!!! Now l understand why they are so expensive. Nothing l have seen comes close to comparing.

Gallo sox = the John Lobb prestige of socks
Bresciani sox = the Crockett & Jones handgrade of socks
Viccel sox = the Loake 1880 of socks

Comparing Gallo to Johnny Lobb is not really accurate because Gallo workmanship are so refined, but l am trying to demonstrate a basic idea.
The materials and workmanship of Bresciani is definitely not as good.
Viccel looks clumsy in comparison.

I will wear Gallo as my special socks. Will build my collection up slowly. 30 - 40 pairs would be a good collection to store away.

Frankly I can't share your opinion about Gallo: your praise is quite ovedone. They have a highly heterogeneous collection with a lot of fancy, not to say tacky items, and some good ones. In the past, say in the 90s, this brand was really luxurious and consistent, it's no longer nowadays.
The vast majority of their offer are multicoloured ring socks in one size fits all, the only good ones are the classic tailored socks. Very limited offer in wool.

I've never heard of Gallo. Just checked out their site and their tailored socks are in Alpha sizing? Sorry to be dogmatic FG but you've said that "one size fits all" is unacceptable and then called Gallo's tailored line good.

I always buy Pantherella myself, made in my home town. Over the calf is good but I wear ankle socks when its peak summer. I did buy a load of Sozzi socks, both OTC and ankle in a bankruptcy sale, they seem to wear and wash well.

I've never heard of Gallo. Just checked out their site and their tailored socks are in Alpha sizing? Sorry to be dogmatic FG but you've said that "one size fits all" is unacceptable and then called Gallo's tailored line good.

I always buy Pantherella myself, made in my home town. Over the calf is good but I wear ankle socks when its peak summer. I did buy a load of Sozzi socks, both OTC and ankle in a bankruptcy sale, they seem to wear and wash well.

I also prefer precise sizing, but Alpha is still better than one size. By the way Pantherella (my favourite brand) also uses approximate sizing in many lines (I take 41-44).

Please tell us more about this.

I've witnessed the involution of Gallo from an exclusive brand to a popular one with all the negative aspects. As I said, some of their products are probably still excellent, but they are a small minority, whereas the fancy ones dominate.

This is a pair of Gallo cotton socks I bought in the middle of the nineties, still good in shape:

20210901_130215.jpg

Admittedly I don't wear them anymore, I preserve them as a testament.

I also prefer precise sizing, but Alpha is still better than one size. By the way Pantherella (my favourite brand) also uses approximate sizing in many lines (I take 41-44).

Are those Pantherella you bought the other day 70% wool and 30% synthetic?

Have you tried Falke before?

I am still looking for a thicker wool sock for winter. This would be perfect, but not over the calf. Would pay decent $$$ for a nice thick dress sock collection to wear with winter shell cordovan brogues, but all pairs are mod calf.

Not able to buy from this site below. Impossible to make payments from Australia to Hungary and France.

Should get my Gallo 100% wool socks tomorrow or next day. Will be interesting to compare with my cotton striped Gallos.

These in Merino would be good, but prices are starting to get a bit high.

and definitely too pricey for these:

Will probably stick with mainly Viccel for wool with extras filled out with Bresciani and Gallo. Can definitely live with that. These herringbone silk/wool are superb:
and so are these wool ribbed

This is a pair of Gallo cotton socks I bought in the middle of the nineties, still good in shape:

View attachment 41042

Admittedly I don't wear them anymore, I preserve them as a testament.
Could those 100% wool pairs by Gallo be equal in quality to those above??

Not able to buy from this site below. Impossible to make payments from Australia to Hungary and France.

I have a pair of cashmere Falke socks. They're lovely and also surprisingly hard-wearing, as I've had them for 8 or 9 years now and they're still in good condition.

I've never bought from Mes Chassetts Rouges, but friends of mine here in Australia have, so you should be able to, Shooey.

Yes, the Laburnum ones are 70/30%, as well as the ones with houndstooth pattern, the Naish are 90/10%. Surprisingly the Rutherford (Luxury Collection) have a rather high percentage of nylon (27%), but they have a thick and velvety touch.

Yes, Falke merino socks (75/25%) are very good too, but they have higher prices.

Falke cashmere socks (87/13%) are beautiful, if you're ready to pay €110.

Last edited:
Could those 100% wool pairs by Gallo be equal in quality to those above??

These are actually the only ones that really appeal to me. I don't have them, but would suppose they are excellent quality: unfortunately just three colours available.

The Shooman The Shooman , Falke socks are well made and long lasting. I use their merino hiking socks in winter along with Icebreaker merino socks. Both are light to mid-weight but thicker than dress socks. I wear wool all year as wool regulates better than cotton in cold and hot conditions. Horses for courses, YMMV.

I am still looking for a thicker wool sock for winter.
You might want to try the cashmere/merino stuff from Calze Sabas. They are excellent winter socks.

e. Falke are Eastern European plastic socks, would stay clear of those.

Thanks for the info. I did know that about Pantherella socks though. By the way, I used to live maybe 2km from their factory. They have never had a factory shop, which is a shame.

I used to work for Pex Socks which was Europes biggest sock maker at the time. They made for all the high street shops, Burtons, Next, M&S. I used to fill my lunch box with socks a couple of times a week. £1 a pair down the pub Friday nights. Happy days.

As has been said many times here, the majority of Gallo's current offerings are tacky. They are not in good taste ( as in yesterday's year when I first read about them in GQ of all places and stopped over in their brick and mortar shop in Rome and spent my then very limited cash on half a dozen pair.

However, Gallo is still a world class maker of socks, if you stick to their classic all-wool etc al offerings, it is brilliant. They have the more wild offerings for the tackynacci's and more adventurous sort but I don't go near those.

I have Gallos that are almost two decades old and not a single hole.

I am still looking for a thicker wool sock for winter. This would be perfect, but not over the calf. Would pay decent $$$ for a nice thick dress sock collection to wear with winter shell cordovan brogues, but all pairs are mod calf.

I quite like Marcoliani merino wool in birdseye for the winter. They are not sized, but their sizing happens to be perfect for me (US 11)

Should get my Gallo 100% wool socks tomorrow or next day. Will be interesting to compare with my cotton striped Gallos.

These in Merino would be good, but prices are starting to get a bit high.

and definitely too pricey for these:

Will probably stick with mainly Viccel for wool with extras filled out with Bresciani and Gallo. Can definitely live with that. These herringbone silk/wool are superb:
and so are these wool ribbed
Corgi, made in Wales with a Royal Warrant from Chuck make excellent thick socks.

20210303_113322.jpg

Last edited:
Corgi, made in Wales with a Royal Warrant from Chuck make excellent thick socks.

View attachment 41054

I always wanted to give Corgi a try, unfortunately they offer very little in wool.
By the way, you only wear navy socks?

P.S. I've seen that for their most luxurious product, the cable cashmere socks, they offer a customisation service: do you know whether it's possible to have a short sock in OTC length? It should be no big issue.

Last edited:
güero güero good point about plastic socks. Might try a few Falke, but don't like 25% synthetic in socks.

Journeyman Journeyman Impossible to buy from France. Impossible to use credit card or do bank wire transfer. I have tried and tried and tried.

I may have found the ideal sock for winter brogues. Check out this one below, what a little beauty! Normally Corgi make short sox with high synthetic, but not this one. 80$ wool, 10% silk, 10% cashmere.
https://www.corgisocks.com/products/mens-welly-boot-donegal-wool-sock?variant=32031116197999

Will order a few of these by Corgi and see how they go. If they work out l will use them as my good Winter socks and use some Falke as my beaters.

Pretty nice `eh.
Corgi winter socks 1.jpg Corgi winter socks 2.jpg Corgi winter socks 3.jpg
Corgi winter socks 4.jpg

Double Monk.com (local store) also sell some nice Corgi in 100% wool with ideal thickness, but they are too short.

Last edited:
güero güero good point about plastic socks. Might try a few Falke, but don't like 25% synthetic in socks.

Journeyman Journeyman Impossible to buy from France. Impossible to use credit card or do bank wire transfer. I have tried and tried and tried.

I may have found the ideal sock for winter brogues. Check out this one below, what a little beauty! Normally Corgi make short sox with high synthetic, but not this one. 80$ wool, 10% silk, 10% cashmere. Will order a few to see how they go.
https://www.corgisocks.com/products/mens-welly-boot-donegal-wool-sock?variant=32031116197999

Double Monk.com (local store) also sell some nice Corgi in 100% in ideal thickness, but they are too short.

I had just spotted them, they looks very nice, but I think they are supposed to be worn with knickerbockers, what does not prevent you to wear them also with regular trousers of course.

In the past I was very dogmatic and integralist, I only bought socks in pure wool, but I've learnt that some nylon is useful to prolong the durability of your beloved garments and does not detract from the look and touch (I think that the few would recognise the difference).

As has been said many times here, the majority of Gallo's current offerings are tacky. They are not in good taste ( as in yesterday's year when I first read about them in GQ of all places and stopped over in their brick and mortar shop in Rome and spent my then very limited cash on half a dozen pair.

However, Gallo is still a world class maker of socks, if you stick to their classic all-wool etc al offerings, it is brilliant. They have the more wild offerings for the tackynacci's and more adventurous sort but I don't go near those.

I have Gallos that are almost two decades old and not a single hole.

Wonderful sock post as usual. Gallo make very nice shadow stripe socks. Thanks to your advice I ordered the 100% wool pairs and received them today, they look very nice indeed. Put 4 pairs in my sock storage unit and put 2 pair in my sock rotation. Will give a pair a test run tomorrow. Exciting times indeed....testing all the new sox. Gonna order those Corgi tonight too. :omg: :lolguy:

Locked up for another 2 months, so buying any trousers and shirts are out of the question. Gonna concentrate on socks. 😍

I had just spotted them, they looks very nice, but I think they are supposed to be worn with knickerbockers, what does not prevent you to wear them also with regular trousers of course.

In the past I was very dogmatic and integralist, I only bought socks in pure wool, but I've learnt that some nylon is useful to prolong the durability of your beloved garments and does not detract from the look and touch (I think that the few would recognise the difference).

10% nylon is o.k, and even up to 15%, but getting up to 20 - 25% is too high for my liking.

Those Corgi really look like the cat's whiskers don't they. I think its just the ticket. Couldn't want for anything better.

I always wanted to give Corgi a try, unfortunately they offer very little in wool.
By the way, you only wear navy socks?

P.S. I've seen that for their most luxurious product, the cable cashmere socks, they offer a customisation service: do you know whether it's possible to have a short sock in OTC length? It should be no big issue.
They are all black, it's just the poor lighting. No idea about the customisation service..

I may have found the ideal sock for winter brogues. Check out this one below, what a little beauty! Normally Corgi make short sox with high synthetic, but not this one. 80$ wool, 10% silk, 10% cashmere.

Will order a few of these by Corgi and see how they go. If they work out l will use them as my good Winter socks and use some Falke as my beaters.

Pretty nice `eh.
View attachment 41069View attachment 41070View attachment 41071
View attachment 41072

Double Monk.com (local store) also sell some nice Corgi in 100% wool with ideal thickness, but they are too short.
I found discontinued 100% cotton lisle Falke sox on ebay. I am yet to try them, so no feedback unfortunately.

Do you reckon those wool Corgi will shrink slightly? My sizing is right on the edge, might be better to go up in size in case they do shrink. I did email Corgi about the issue.

Plus Fours are more common in the UK.
Well exceedingly rare lol...

Unfortunately Corgi uses alpha sizing, that's always not accurate. In the doubt I would go for an upsizing, as it's likely that the socks will shrink (as experienced, any sock will shrink).

Unfortunately Corgi uses alpha sizing, that's always not accurate. In the doubt I would go for an upsizing, as it's likely that the socks will shrink (as experienced, any sock will shrink).

My intuition was telling me to size up, so l did. Ordered a pair in each colour. Good to get your feedback on this.

Impossible to buy from France. Impossible to use credit card or do bank wire transfer. I have tried and tried and tried.

The Shooman The Shooman - I'm not sure what issue you're having, but I just tried to place an order with Mes Chaussettes Rouges and was able to order without any problems using a credit card.

On the "Payment" page, you select "credit card" but you do not enter your details at that time. Rather, you scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the red "Complete Order" button.

When you click that button, it takes you to a third party payment processing page, run by a company called "mollie.nl". That company processes your payment on behalf of Mes Chaussettes Rouges.

The Shooman The Shooman - I'm not sure what issue you're having, but I just tried to place an order with Mes Chaussettes Rouges and was able to order without any problems using a credit card.

On the "Payment" page, you select "credit card" but you do not enter your details at that time. Rather, you scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the red "Complete Order" button.

When you click that button, it takes you to a third party payment processing page, run by a company called "mollie.nl". That company processes your payment on behalf of Mes Chaussettes Rouges.

* I did exactly what you suggested (pay through 3rd party service). Does not work. Never works.
* I try to buy from Vass. Never works. Only paypaling Eva Vass works.
* I try to buy from Philip Gabor in France many times in all types of ways. Never works.
* Even going to the bank and asking them to make payment never works.
* Tried to buy shoelaces from England...they send everywhere else in the world except Australia.

Crazy how the world works.
Such a pity, they have good sox, and cheap shipping.
I am sick of paying 80 bucks for shipping a few pair of sox. (Gallo/Kabbaz)
Wanted to get some linen sox from meschaussettesrouges.com/

Last edited:
Question for people who have had socks for 10 + years

Some here have had socks for 10 - 15 years. How is this possible, how big is your sock rotation?

Some socks are just unusually hard-wearing.

I've had pairs of socks from brands such as Pantherella that didn't last long at all. On the other hand, socks from places like Uniqlo and Country Road have lasted for many years.

I had a pair of Country Road cotton socks that lasted from 2001 to 2016 or thereabouts. Of course, they started to get pretty thin at the toe and under the ball of the foot, but didn't develop any holes. I wore them every 1 - 2 weeks for years and they were very hard-wearing.

I must admit that I'm not sure why some socks wear so well, but others wear out so quickly when both appear to be made of similar fabric in a similar weave.

I definitely have too much socks currently. I probably have hundreds of pairs. I also have seasonal socks or *gasp* sockless days in very hot weather. Also, I tend to 'baby', well not baby per se but I am fastidious with socks laundry.

In addition, there are 'other' socks which I wear *gasp* with leisure/ exercise wear etc that are not OTC wool/ cashmere/ silk etc for instance, I went mountaineering this summer ( saw an active volcano in Grindavik, Iceland), camped, went fishing etc. You don't do that in OTC cashmere, unless you are maybe beau Brummel.

Socks are strange things though. From the same collection, one can be ripped on first. wear, and the other can last 50 washings with no hole in sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom