Socks thread

Corgi, made in Wales with a Royal Warrant from Chuck make excellent thick socks.

View attachment 41054
Corgi, that's a blast from the past. Forgotten about them.

I just buy in bulk and after a couple of years they get relegated to being worn around the house and then when the time comes, I bin the lot in one go. I don't top up with the same make, just get a new brand in.

Question for people who have had socks for 10 + years

Some here have had socks for 10 - 15 years. How is this possible, how big is your sock rotation?

QuandoDio QuandoDio florisgreen florisgreen

I have a huge sock collection, I haven't counted them, but well over 50 pieces. Of course the more you rotate, the longer last your socks.
But it's true, some casuality always occurs, so some specimens can last consistently longer than others, from the same producer and in the same model and material.

"Mes chaussettes rouges":

20210902_184227.jpg
20210902_132409.jpg

Question for people who have had socks for 10 + years

Some here have had socks for 10 - 15 years. How is this possible, how big is your sock rotation?

QuandoDio QuandoDio florisgreen florisgreen
My Pantherellas are no newer than say 2009 or 2010. Have 25 pairs of them. Some are getting threadbare now but most are still in good shape. But I also don't wear them in the coldest weather from November to March. So that reduces the number of wears per year. I also change into casual socks at the end of the work day and my current rotation of Falke and Icebreaker light hiking socks are also around 7 years old and get heavy wear but are still in great shape.

güero güero good point about plastic socks. Might try a few Falke, but don't like 25% synthetic in socks.

Journeyman Impossible to buy from France. Impossible to use credit card or do bank wire transfer. I have tried and tried and tried.

I may have found the ideal sock for winter brogues. Check out this one below, what a little beauty! Normally Corgi make short sox with high synthetic, but not this one. 80$ wool, 10% silk, 10% cashmere.
https://www.corgisocks.com/products/mens-welly-boot-donegal-wool-sock?variant=32031116197999

Will order a few of these by Corgi and see how they go. If they work out l will use them as my good Winter socks and use some Falke as my beaters.

Pretty nice `eh.
View attachment 41069View attachment 41070View attachment 41071
View attachment 41072

Double Monk.com (local store) also sell some nice Corgi in 100% wool with ideal thickness, but they are too short.

Sox threak is going off like a box of frogs.

I was ogling these Corgis as well Mr S. Look very nice.

I've got 10+ year sox in rotation. Like most here have been down the path (hehe) with Pantha, Marcoliani, Gallo, Bresciani, Falke. Also have cheap and cheerful Australian made sox that have lasted a decent amount of time.

Please start constructively. I may learn something.
Come on. You must surely see that the POW doesn't go with a window pane coat? A mirco square shirt would go with the coat, that size square in the shirt is boarder line with the coat if he had solid pants on. But then a mirco square would look terrible with the pants. The shirt hes wearing doesn't go with the pants. Its all clashing. And then the bright red socks add another clash. The whole outfit needs elements eliminating until some harmony is achived. I'd suggest eliminating the pants for a start.

That doesn't really need saying does it Pan?

20210902_184227.jpg

I think its pretty clear from this post and other images and comments that the poster struggles with colour and pattern matching. And I'm not sure hes capable of taking on constructive criticism or conceding a point thats different to his own opinion. Hence burnt orange becomes muted orange.

Last edited:
Please start constructively. I may learn something.
Come on. You must surely see that the POW doesn't go with a window pane coat? A mirco square shirt would go with the coat, that size square in the shirt is boarder line with the coat if he had solid pants on. But then a mirco square would look terrible with the pants. The shirt hes wearing doesn't go with the pants. Its all clashing. And then the bright red socks add another clash. The whole outfit needs elements eliminating until some harmony is achived. I'd suggest eliminating the pants for a start.

View attachment 41104

I think its pretty clean from this post and other images and comments that the poster struggles with colour and pattern matching. And I'm not sure hes capable of taking on constructive criticism or conceding a point thats different to his own opinion. Hence burnt orange becomes muted orange.
I don’t think I can add much to Sauce Sauce comments. Spot on. Pretty basic stuff. Don’t overlay 3 clashing patterns onto 1 single attire.

And muted colors on top v red socks and shoes will steer the attention towards the feet. If that’s the intention, then please carry on.

You moan he doesn't post his outfits. Then when he does, you don't post constructive criticism.

Some people here, Panama Panama , are much more interested to argue than to discuss over apparel and style.

I wear what I like and what pleases my eyes, I don't need any advices from these "experts".

Some people here, Panama Panama , are much more interested to argue than to discuss over apparel and style.

I wear what I like and what pleases my eyes, I don't need any advices from these "experts".
Like I said; I think its pretty clear from this post and other images and comments that the poster struggles with colour and pattern matching. And I'm not sure hes capable of taking on constructive criticism or conceding a point thats different to his own opinion.

I think you may like the idea of wearing of patterns and colours together that just don't work. It might look ok to the wearer but I think sometimes the wearer has to note "weight of evidence". Its ok to be subjective when you look in the mirror, the need to be subjective is much less if you can understand the basics. We're not all going to like the same thing but the human eye appreciates harmony and symmetry. Thats fact. Thats why Dr. Whos outfit above is made to showcase his eccentricity. You know you've dealing with a loon before he speaks.

Its not about being an expert. Its about understanding what makes something attractive and what makes something unpleasing.

View attachment 41104

I think its pretty clear from this post and other images and comments that the poster struggles with colour and pattern matching. And I'm not sure hes capable of taking on constructive criticism or conceding a point thats different to his own opinion. Hence burnt orange becomes muted orange.
I don't wear jackets or wool trousers.
I am a chino and Harrington Jacket guy...

So you'd wear a windowpane Harrington with a POW with overcheck patterned chinos then with a winowpane patterned shirt?

Or maybe not.

So you'd wear a windowpane Harrington with a POW with overcheck patterned chinos then with a winowpane patterned shirt?

Or maybe not.
My Harringtons are Sand and Navy Blue.
I don't really do patterns, I have the odd striped shirt but generally everything is monocolour. I love Yellow knitwear and Black Sox.

I didn't know patterned Chinos were a thing. What are those weird American
coloured trousers called?

Last edited:
Patterned chinos were all the rage mid 80s.

Lets say you had a window pane Harrington, POW chinos and a windowpane shirt...would you wear them altogether?

Try and commit. :lol

One can certainly wear a slew of patterns, but it takes above average ability. The proportion of the different patterns have to harmonize.

Like that tie pattern. Best get back on track a bit....

Who dem socks by?

I definitely have too much socks currently. I probably have hundreds of pairs. I also have seasonal socks or *gasp* sockless days in very hot weather. Also, I tend to 'baby', well not baby per se but I am fastidious with socks laundry.

How about you break this down more so we can get a better understanding of the mind of a `sock daddy'. Why hundreds of pairs?

I think we have similar minds when it comes to socks. I also have seasonal socks and own hundreds of pairs. Why? Because all seasons need different types of socks and a decent rotation, and socks do wear out so many pairs are needed. Some say socks wear out after 30 wearings, some wear out after 5 wearings. So if they last 30- wearings you are going to need 12 socks per year, so over 10 years that will be 120 pairs, and over 30 years that will be 360 pairs at least or 450 to be on the safe side (being fully prepared in case sox give out early). I tend to buy a lifetime supply, hence large numbers. 30 thick socks here, 30 thick socks there...winter is almost covered. 50 wool/silk socks here, and 50 there; Autumn and Spring is covered for a lifetime hopefully. 100 cotton socks...summer almost covered, BUT now linen is needed in the rotation for the hottest days, so 70 pairs to cover a lifetime perhaps. If you are young your lifetime collection may need to be 500+.

Yes, l am also very careful with my sock cleaning. Always hand washed and air dried outside. I should wash in RO water and use powered detergent, but too much messing around. My methods are not perfect, but still good.

QuandoDio QuandoDio please share your thoughts.

In addition, there are 'other' socks which I wear *gasp* with leisure/ exercise wear etc that are not OTC wool/ cashmere/ silk etc for instance, I went mountaineering this summer ( saw an active volcano in Grindavik, Iceland), camped, went fishing etc. You don't do that in OTC cashmere, unless you are maybe beau Brummel.

Me too. I have about 120 thick bamboo socks made locally in Oz with 20% nylon (bulletproof). After a number of years l am still yet to wear a pair out. I also have boxes of average quality cotton socks (about 100 pair) that l still wear when l first wake up along with those bamboo socks.

See, I have lifetime rotations for different purposes. + buying socks can be quite addictive too...buying socks can be exciting. Why? Because a new sock is a new adventure.

Socks are strange things though. From the same collection, one can be ripped on first. wear, and the other can last 50 washings with no hole in sight.
Haha yep. It's a mystery isn't it, an 8th wonder of the world.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tried Burlington socks. Some on the forums claim they are the best of the best.

Late note: sadly they are one size fits all. So silly.

My sock wish list
- Kabbaz argyles in wool and cotton orc (Bresciani)
Will get 3 pairs of each soon.
- Viccel herringbone silk/wool
Want to order 20 pairs in various colours at black friday sale.
- Viccel thick winter cotton socks (nice for warmer days)
6 pair.

- Kirby Alison linen socks
Want to order 6 pair in December

Like with shoos, l want sox for all occasions.

Last edited:
I rate em Shooey. They last a long time and wash well. Colours remain strong. I don't think their sold here in Norway, never seen them anyway, but I wore them a lot when I lived in Blighty. I've never been one for a big sock collection. Think I've got about 30 pairs at the minute, plus work socks. When I lived in Blighty I had maybe 20 tops, Burlington would have been my first choice then. Great argyle designs which is what I looked for in a sock back in those days. I'd deffo grab 10 pairs or so if I could find them in a shop here. But I'm not paying import duty for socks.

Like that tie pattern. Best get back on track a bit....

Who dem socks by?
Cant remember. I’d have to look up order. They were some very cheap OTC argyles off the net. About $15 aud for 5 pairs in different colours. They have been fine. Only thing I don’t like is that the argyle doesn’t run to the foot . Only starts at ankle.

Here is another company people talk about. Pretty expensive, and very odd in that the selection is very limited, but said to be very good.

That said, these are some of my favourites, the one colour textured silk/wool Viccels here. The best of all their socks imo. Numerous great colours to choose from. Unlike many Vicels, they are a good length, not too tight on of calf, and stay up.

The second best socks Viccel make are the herringbone silk/wool ones. Not as well fitted...made for Fred Flinstone ankles, but still nice to wear.

Viccel can make very good socks when they put their mind to it, but their hand linked toes are not as refined as the better brands. They are getting better and better.

Kabbaz makes an excellent post about socks. Interesting how the silk/cashmere seems to be the best performer, and could be the most comfy. Been tempted to do silk/cashmere for my special sox, but it better be a good performer.

Let me eliminate a few at the outset: Falke makes many wonderful socks. However, they change styles more frequently than Tiger changes women. In addition, they are notable for their inconsistency of quality control. Pantherella's 85%-15% cashmere is noted for both lack of durability and extreme shrinkage. Their OTC model begins at 17" and shrinks to 13" in standardized tests. Most in the sock industry also question the veracity of the cashmere percentage and, since the closing of their parent company's UK factory, the true country of origin. Loro Piana, cited above, does not make socks. Nor does Brioni. Both are made by one of the makers below.

The finest-feeling cashmere socks in existence today are those offered by Zimmerli of Switzerland. These Italian-made, 100% cashmere socks are available in the four standard dress colors - black, brown, navy, charcoal - in Mid-calf and Over-the-Calf. These were knitted of an incredibly high (yarn) number cashmere yarn which has not, before or since, been used to make socks. They are extremely thin and meant as dress socks. They must be hand-washed cold and dried flat. Even with that treatment, they have all of the durability of a rainbow and, at $180-$200/pair, you should figure $25-$30 per wearing. The stay-up ability is good but not excellent.

Next on the list for finest-feeling would be Bresciani. Reknowned for their 100% natural fibre sized socks, Bresciani has a huge range of 100% cashmere in colors and in harlequins in both mid-calf and over-the-calf. Their cashmere yarns are top-quality and their defect rate extremely low. In addition, if you can locate them, Bresciani offers cashmere solids in a variety of ribbed as well as flat-knit styles. They also have a complete line of cashmere/silk blend. The Bresciani stay-up ability is is on the lower end of excellent. The cashmere yarn is a bit thicker than the Zimmerli with a concomitant increase in durability. At $75/$80 for solids and $85/$99 for the harlequin, you would be down to between $3-$5 per wearing. Bresciani is also the maker for all Brioni socks.

Although I love wearing the Zimmerli's and have a number of favorite Bresciani's which I use frequently, my personal best is Marcoliani. The reasons for this are multifold. Firstly, their cashmere yarns, a blend of special cashmeres from Afghanistan, Mongolia, and New Zealand, are top quality and have an awesome feel. They specify their own (proprietary) origin blend and have these yarns specially spun in Italy only for their own use. I have personally verified that their claimed 80%/20% blend of cashmere & nylon is accurate. They make both solids and patterns for men and women in ribbed styles. Although they are not quite as fine (yarn-number wise) as either Zimmerli or Bresciani, they come out way on top in both the durability and shrinkage contests. I have two test pairs of OTC worn and washed more than 50 times. At $65/$75 for solids and $69/$79 for patterns, the per-wearing cost is in the $1.35-$1.50 range. The shrinkage of the 19" sock comes down to 18+". In addition, their cashmere/silk blend dress socks top the list with verified reports of more than 100 wearings at the same price as cashmere. The stay-up ability is excellent and tops all the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom